Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Howlong have the Lib-Dems controlled the District

On 7 Aug 2007 at 11:09am lewes trousers wrote:
Can anyone tell me how long the lib-dems have been in control at the district Council, I know when it was the Borough it was Labour controlled, and then some arguments over council houses split the Labour Party and Mayhew and the like went independent and then over to the Lib dems.
It just seems like forever, and i was trying to think if they had actually done anything, when It came to me that I couldn't even remember when there wasn't a lib-dem council. If anyone knows or can point me in the direction of someone who might please post

On 7 Aug 2007 at 2:54pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
Since 1991, the Council has never been labour controlled though before the Lib Dems it was the Conservatives that controlled the district. Your knowledge about the split of the Labour party (if you call it that) also seems a little iffy. How long have you lived in Lewes out of interest. Speaking from a family of ex Lewes Labour voters from the seventies this current bunch deserve the political purgatory they are in.

On 7 Aug 2007 at 3:53pm lewes trousers wrote:
Thanks for the answer, I know previous to the Lib dems it was Tory but before that was Labour...its a long time but I am sure before the district council lewes was a borough council and it was Labour controlled, (e.g Wley he of Wileys Bridge was a Labour councillor along with many others) It must have been in the 70's or 80s that things went wrong. Iam almost certain that Graham Mayhew and his Father were previously Labour.
As to this "current bunch" do you mean the local labour people or the government. The local lot look mostly new and as for the governement they have made some awful mistakes but also made many alterations to the economic and social side which I like, and that is more than can be said for the Lib_Dems (can't stand them) but its only my opinion.

On 7 Aug 2007 at 4:43pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
No problem, it is important to know the history of the town you live in. The Mayhews were ex Labour before becoming Independents, in my ward the Labour councillor was John Hayward who was a councillor for the ward for around 20 + years and was a very good local man he sadly past away before the 87 election. Graham Mayhew spent most of his time in the Lib Dem party before the animosity over the art gallery.
As for the Labour party they have never recovered from the split in the early 80's when they gained a lot of newer members who joined at that time and thought they could take over from the traditional members. As for the current bunch yes I am refering to the Goverment mainly, I think most of the Labour members I new of that era are now long gone so I am not in a position to past judgement on the current members.

On 12 Aug 2007 at 5:21pm Macshaman wrote:
You could always ask the local labour party they seem to have a website with contact details at www.leweslabour.org.uk

On 20 Aug 2007 at 12:32pm Lewes trousers wrote:
Thanks for that, what i didn't realise was that it was a one-party District Council and that at The council meetings they clear the gallery on difficult issues so we can't see them punch each other.
I though the lib dems were in to democracy and wassisname...the voting thingy where everyone gets a go?? Lewes it seems has become a dictatorship with no opposition ( and all on the sly)

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Swan penny 123:132
The Swan penny

Is it not obvious that the part of the project in England will be discussed here not in Greece or Lithuania? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina