Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Harvey Depot to become...

4
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 12:38am Sparatacus wrote:
Just put the bins out this evening to find a letter on the door mat from that nice Mr. Jenner. Apparently it will be announced in the papers tomorrow that The Harveys Davey's Lane Depot is to finally be sold to a Charitable Trust that plans to turn the site into a 4 screen cinema for community use.
It looks as though the original building will remain and be refurbished while the rest of the site is to be landscaped, though a planning application won't be submitted until after local consultation.
...interesting! Not heard that one on the grapevine. Or is this old new and I should get out more?

4
1
On 22 Mar 2013 at 12:51am Expat Two wrote:
Community use? Do they mean ... open to the public?
Well that's a novel approach...
1
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 3:21am Fairmeadow wrote:
What, no "enabling" luxury apartments???
4
1
On 22 Mar 2013 at 7:01am Blip wrote:
Excellent news if true.
5
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 7:39am Major Malling wrote:
This is fantastic news. Can we nominate the nice Mr Jenner for Mayor?
5
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 8:01am Deelite wrote:
Wow, modern surround sound 3d cinema in Lewes..... can't wait. Great that it's official at last.
3
1
On 22 Mar 2013 at 12:48pm Old Cynic wrote:
What a fantastic idea!
 
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 12:55pm mutley wrote:
Look on Harveys website under news it gives all the details. WWW.Harveys.org.uk
1
2
On 22 Mar 2013 at 1:15pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Can only be good news for Lewes - heard about it a few months ago, and makes the front page of sussex depress today. The Harveys press release sounds most encouraging - films shown every day, special screenings for the elderley, parent and a baby, and specialist interest groups. It will be very clever to fit four screens in though - and what's the betting they have difficulty with the planning authorities ? I can see the yard being used for outside summer screenings. And of course it's bound to affect the operation of the Lewes Cinema and the All Saints screenings.
Fingers crossed it will go through.
 
4
On 22 Mar 2013 at 1:29pm GI Joe wrote:
The All Saints setup and this are connected.
 
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 1:35pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Do you mean the film club people rather than the town council, GI Joe ?
5
4
On 22 Mar 2013 at 1:47pm GI Joe wrote:
Take your pick - it's a setup in my opinion. Carmen Slijpen of the film club was made 'manager' of Film At All Saints so that she could be trained in cinema management at the taxpayers expense in readyness for the Harvey's scheme.
Interesting eh?
1
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 1:50pm Alexander Lemming wrote:
I was told that this might be on the cards last summer, glad it's finally been confirmed and now looks like it might come to fruition. Excellent news for the town!
 
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 1:51pm Ho hum wrote:
I think it's got little to do with the business known as Lewes Cinema. I'm sure the council will have been consulted at the very least but it's being set up by a recently registered charity with an address in Keere Street.
2
2
On 22 Mar 2013 at 1:58pm Lewes Cinema wrote:
No, nothing to do with us, although we were approached by the developer some years ago. Nothing went ahead as it was deemed 'not viable' as a cinema by consultants at the time.
Just to clarify: Lewes Cinema is not connected with Film At All Saints.
2
1
On 22 Mar 2013 at 2:07pm brixtonbelle wrote:
GI Joe - not sure what your point is - and it seems to be erroneous anyway as Lewes Cinema are not connected now to the All Saints centre, and Film at All Saints is run by the town council with help from the film club. As there is no declaration (as yet) of a town council interest in this, I suspect its totally independent unless some of the Directors of the Charitable Trust are connected with the film club. Their names can be seen on Companies House website if you google Lewes Community Screen.
 
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 2:57pm Vic wrote:
You could always call the Town Council and ask. 01273 471469
4
2
On 22 Mar 2013 at 3:25pm GI Joe wrote:
Brixtonbelle I didn't say Lewes Cinema were connected to All Saints. What I said was that there is a connection between Film Club > All Saints > Carmen Slijpen > Town Council > Harvey's Site. There must be a vested interest in there somewhere. I knew long in advance that Carmen had been employed by the taxpayer for future commercial cinema operation as somebody reliable told me so. Strange, now it turns out to be true - something smells bad.
 
2
On 22 Mar 2013 at 6:07pm Pug wrote:
I hope you are not casting aspersions at the truly wonderful Carmen Slijpen?
 
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 6:16pm Spartacus wrote:
What's the connection that links the film club, All Saints, Carman thingy and the Town council to the Harvey's site?
3
1
On 22 Mar 2013 at 6:42pm Vic wrote:
I believe the films shown at All Saints are organised by Lewes Film Club on behalf of Lewes Town Council. Ms.Slijpen is the Secretary of Lewes Film Club. Separate to that however a new organisation wants to open a 4-screen cinema in the old Harveys Depot. Ms.Slijpen is also involved with this. There is no link between Lewes Town Council and the Harveys Depot Cinema Project. Ms.Slijpen however is involved with both organisations.
5
1
On 22 Mar 2013 at 7:14pm Pug wrote:
Could she be the catalyst that brought them together to create this good thing? She also does the bicycle thing doesn't she? Maybe there will be a bicycle workshops there too. Terrific. What a commendable woman.
 
4
On 22 Mar 2013 at 8:53pm the old mayor wrote:
Whatever next Motion Pictures in Lewes ? Will there be a burger franchise too ?
 
 
On 22 Mar 2013 at 10:35pm Squareeyes wrote:
I will be very interested to see what happens to the All Saints Cinema if this is successful. Either the Town Council knew this was on the cards, or it didn't. Perhaps John Stockdale could tell us.
 
3
On 23 Mar 2013 at 12:13am Maureeeeeeeeen wrote:
Lewes really is a town full of perverts.
4
 
On 23 Mar 2013 at 10:55am Independent Thinker wrote:
GI Joe, there's something deeply unpleasant about somebody hiding behind an anonymous name spreading rumours and innuendo about a named private individual on a public forum. If you have evidence of any wrongdoing, take it to the press, the authorities, or have the courage to make the accusations under your own name and let people judge for themselves how reliable the evidence is.
6
1
On 23 Mar 2013 at 11:05am Nevil rook wrote:
Thats probably the nail in the coffin for Lewes Cinema then. Shame.
2
 
On 23 Mar 2013 at 2:10pm someone else wrote:
If LDC, when reviewing the planning application, gave any weight to their potential loss of revenue at All Saints, I suspect that would be corrupt.
1
 
On 23 Mar 2013 at 4:09pm Shopkeeper wrote:
Yes GI Joe, imagine of it were your name up there and see how you like it?
You can't post in your own name because A: You will libel yourself instantly and B:Your "facts" are false.
 
 
On 23 Mar 2013 at 4:59pm squareeyes wrote:
Someone else, don't worry about that specific issue. LDC doesn't have anything to do with All Saints as that is run by Town Council. I am still waiting to find out if the Town Council knew about this last year.
3
 
On 23 Mar 2013 at 5:36pm Southover Queen wrote:
Squareeyes, I'd be surprised if the Town Council didn't - I remember it being announced in this very forum probably around a year ago. So even if it was just rumour they must have been aware of it - and if it was a rumour it was clearly a well-informed one!
3
2
On 24 Mar 2013 at 3:00pm GI Joe wrote:
Not sure what 'facts' are wrong in what I said? Carmen is on the front page of the Sussex Express and is connected with all the other organisations - this is all in the public domain - how is that incorrect?
 
 
On 24 Mar 2013 at 3:13pm Deelite wrote:
You said it was a 'set up'. What did you mean?
2
2
On 24 Mar 2013 at 3:19pm Independent Thinker wrote:
GI Joe, you've come on here and claimed that there is a "setup" that there are "vested interests" that are misusing taxpayer funds, and are publicly smearing a named individual while hiding behind anonymity so nobody can judge if you have vested interests of your own. Which is cowardly, and potentially libellous. If you're so sure of your facts, go public with them under your own name, or present the evidence to the authorities.
3
3
On 24 Mar 2013 at 3:27pm GI Joe wrote:
Investigate yourself and decide if there was any setup. I can assure you that there is nothing libellous.


2 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Bonfire Torches 11:143
Bonfire Torches

What happened to my post made last night? Is there a curfew from 11 pm? What are the rules with this forum? Just tell me and... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina