Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Happy St David's Day

On 1 Mar 2013 at 8:28am Welshman wrote:
To Taff, any to other Welsh folk out there, and even to all those poor unfortunates who hail from other, blighted, countries like Scotland.......

On 1 Mar 2013 at 9:06am The Super K wrote:
Speaking of Welsh, aparrently they have found human DNA in Welsh lamb!
Who knew?

On 1 Mar 2013 at 10:08am Ed Can Do wrote:
Welshman, you say "Other countries" like Wales is one. Wales has been part of England since the Laws in Wales Acts of the early-1500s. The Wales and Berwick Act of 1746 formally classified England as England, Wales and Berwick on Tweed and applied to all statute passed before and after that date. It wasn't until 1974 that the Local Government Act allowed for the classification of Wales as anything other than part of England and even then it stated that Wales was part of England until 1967. As it stands, England and Scotland are both Kingdoms (Queendoms) whereas Wales is a mere Principality and until the Scots vote themselves out of massive handouts from England in their referendum, the country we are in is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

But yeah, happy St David's Day.

On 1 Mar 2013 at 10:17am Taff wrote:
A happy St. Davids Day to you Welshman. My Bara Brith already made for supper tonight.
Super K....we might !*?k them but you still eat them.
Ed Can Do....hence there is nothing Welsh in the Union Jack.
Roll on March 16th.

On 1 Mar 2013 at 11:01am Welsh Woman wrote:
Happy St David's Day. I wish I was there in Wales to see all the children dressed up in their costumes and Welsh hats. I used to love going to school on St David's Day- it would be for the morning only and we would have no lessons just music and singing.

On 1 Mar 2013 at 11:31am Blip wrote:
Music, singing, a great sense of humour and a healthy respect for education. I may be English, but it's the Welsh for me every time. They are the yeast in our stodgy dough!
On 1 Mar 2013 at 3:32pm British bulldog wrote:
Nothing welsh in the union flag (it's correct title ) erm apart from red then ! And is the term Taff racist ? I wish us low life English could boast a patron saints day like the jocks, taffys, and micks . Sing yer hearts out boyo's x
On 1 Mar 2013 at 3:43pm Edword wrote:
British Bulldog - what's red got to do with Wales? The red in the union flag is England and N.Ireland. And what's with the unnecessary apostrophes?
On 1 Mar 2013 at 3:43pm st george wrote:
sheep shagger get back to the valleys where you belong with the sheep
On 1 Mar 2013 at 3:48pm Ed Can Do wrote:
The Union Flag is made up of the red cross of the St George's Cross of England, the white diagonal cross on blue background of the Scottish St Andrew's Cross and the red diagonal cross of the St Patrick's Cross of Ireland in a design dating from the Union of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801. There is indeed no representation of the Welsh flag on there. As King George III said at the time "And that the Union Flag shall be Azure, the Crosses Saltires of St. Andrew and St. Patrick Quarterly per Saltire, counterchanged Argent and Gules; the latter fimbriated of the Second, surmounted by the Cross of St. George of the Third, fimbriated as the Saltire".

As it happens, Henry VII who added Wales to England in the first place was Welsh himself when he seized the throne of England and the union was designed to combat lawlessness in the Welsh Marches by standardising laws and regulations across both nations. You wouldn't be far off the mark describing England as part of Wales, rater than the reverse.

On 1 Mar 2013 at 4:52pm Sheepish bulldog wrote:
I stand corrected , I shall have to dig my dad up who was evacuated to Wales and tell him as I think it was he who led me to believe that the red covered the welsh bit . Thanks ECD i now know . Sorry Edward my grammar let me down , but like most monkey posters you were quick to slag off but of no help what so ever with any answers ,
On 1 Mar 2013 at 6:01pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Us English have a patron saint. He is St.George; and I wish a few more of us would put aside 23rd. of April to celebrate. It should be a Bank Holiday.

On 3 Mar 2013 at 1:19pm crusader wrote:
St George wasn,t even English, He was a Turk

On 3 Mar 2013 at 3:40pm Historian wrote:
And turkeys aren't even Turkish. Apparently back in Pepys' time there used to be a Turkish community in London that imported and sold exotic fowl for the table (bush-meat of its day, I suppose), so anything new in the way of poultry was called "a turkey.
Not a lot of people know that.

On 4 Mar 2013 at 8:33am Taff wrote:
If St Georges Day is as boring as his input earlier in this topic then its not surprising that it passes pretty much without celebration.
On 4 Mar 2013 at 8:26pm english wrote:
sussex jim good idea, try it in brighton on the 23d, every low life, scrounging, lefty, gay by tv, etc, wants to abuse you like a preist. Fredom of speech is one way,we are doomed as a free nation.

On 5 Mar 2013 at 8:47am london exile wrote:
sod the welsh and st davids day, they hate us and the sooner they p*ss off and get independence the better

On 5 Mar 2013 at 9:24am Taff wrote:
Are you london exile by choice or were you asked to leave?
On 5 Mar 2013 at 10:06am london exile wrote:
by choice, as a white englishman i'm now a minority in london, quite happy to meet you and you tell me w2ith a straight face that english people are welcomed in wales and dont face any snide comments , nastiness and lets be fair, racism and prejudice , are you going to tell me they dont ?

On 5 Mar 2013 at 1:08pm Taff wrote:
You think its any different for a Welshman on this side of the Severn Bridge?
If you dont know then take it from me that it is not!

On 5 Mar 2013 at 1:50pm londonexile wrote:
Yes I do, I wouldnt have dreamt of saying what i did earlier until I had a holiday in Wales 5 years ago, the level of anti English sentiment and hatred that was expressed was shocking, all this from "normal" people , with nobody whatsoever sticking up for me AND MY WIFE AND KIDS, You as Welsh certainly wouldn't experience that in everyday life in England, as far as I am concerned you're a load of chip on your shouldre Welsh tosspots with an inferiority complex, and if you dont like it here in England, GO HOME.

On 5 Mar 2013 at 3:14pm Taff wrote:
Well exile, are you tarring ALL Welsh people with the same brush? One cannot account for anyones character, whichever nationality.
Living in and around Lewes for the last 43 years, 41 of them as an adult I can tell you I have experienced similar from Englishmen, with or without the chips or wherever one chooses to wear them. Its not a nationality thing OK, a personality thing I will give you. Oh, another thing, I was not there when you and your family experienced whatever it was. Thats not a request for details.
43 years residence here must mean that I, personally, do like it here.
No doubt the term DFL rankles with you too? AFW must rankle even more since?

On 5 Mar 2013 at 3:26pm Southover Queen wrote:
I love this discussion: the people insisting that Lewes is full of "other people" about whom it's entirely fine to be nasty and then complaining about visiting other places and those people being nasty to them.

It strikes me as the biter bit. As it happens I've lived and worked in Scotland and Wales (and many other places besides) and never encountered anything resembling xenophobia. All I can say is that maybe it takes one to know one?

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bottleneck House 13:132
Bottleneck House

It's sickening to see how time time, money and energy went into destroying the Phoenix Rising campaign. On this forum, some very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare