frame-src 'self' data:
 

Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Glyndebourne wind turbine

16
17
On 23 Sep 2018 at 8:55am Daniel wrote:
Someone in a previous post referred to the wind turbine as 'self entitled'.
This resonated with me and I've been thinking about it ever since. And they're right, it damn well IS self entitled.
It stands there like an "Up yours if this f**ks up your view, we want a wind turbine and we're having one".
It's worse than an eyesore. It's bloody horrendous. Monstrous. Half the time it's switched off and not even running. And the irony is that although it's been put there by the Glynde estate, the houses/residents of Glynde can't see it from their village. It's Ringmer that suffers!
I hate it.
I live in Gote Lane so I have a particular axe to grind. When I bought my house we had wonderful countryside views. Now we have to look at that monstrosity.
How in God's name did they ever get permission?
33
15
On 23 Sep 2018 at 9:02am grow up wrote:
If that is your only problem then you're really lucky.
20
12
On 23 Sep 2018 at 9:04am Windy miller wrote:
I can see it from my house too but I donít care to let it bother me. In fact I quite like it. If it is still it is because it is not windy.
9
14
On 23 Sep 2018 at 9:09am @Windy Miller wrote:
That's not true.
This week it's been blowing a gale, think Wednesday in particular was reeeeeally windy - and it was switched off. Again.
10
10
On 23 Sep 2018 at 9:13am Gin ear wrote:
I quite like the look of turbines and enjoy making little ones but.....
they will all be gone in 20"years except Rampion scale wind farms.
That's because they are nowhere near as efficient as solar once battery storage is commonplace.
They were a useful interim technology however.
8
12
On 23 Sep 2018 at 9:38am @@windy millerfrom windy wrote:
You are right! If it is is too windy it doesnít work either does it! However I still donít see it as a blot on the landscape whereas I do with pylons?! Funny that. Not sure why.
8
6
On 23 Sep 2018 at 11:17am Mr Palin wrote:
@Gin ear, battery tech will improve massively yes, and so will solar panel efficiency. During the hours of darkness however, wind turbines still have a place especially if all that energy can be stored in batteries to be used during peak demand.
9
6
On 23 Sep 2018 at 1:10pm Gin ear wrote:
That's fair, it's just that the production of Glyndebourne turbine is modest. If they had set aside half an acre of solar they could have saved a lot of emissions in the manufacture and transport of a complex piece of engineering. The site is marginal in terms of regular windspeed.
7
10
On 23 Sep 2018 at 1:24pm It was my post ! wrote:
and I stand by my "entitled" opinion. It's a monument to DFL's and the Opera Set. I'm not keen on pylons, but in some places the National Grid has buried cables to give people back the landscape. I compared the turbine to the Amex, not on size etc. but simply the planners' attitude. One is For the People. One is For the Few.
12
10
On 23 Sep 2018 at 1:27pm Local wrote:
Agreed, always preferred looking at a coal mine myself
12
6
On 23 Sep 2018 at 2:42pm Lewes chap wrote:
Werenít the Christie family UFD (up from Devon) rather than DFL?
11
6
On 23 Sep 2018 at 6:01pm Planners' attitude wrote:
Before the planners are blamed for whatever you disagree with, i think both the glyndebourne turbine and the amex stadium were recommended for refusal of planning permission by the planners. It was democratically elected politicians who decided to grant them planning permission against planning officer recommendations in both cases. Bloody planners.
16
4
On 23 Sep 2018 at 7:26pm Odd wrote:
I've often heard people say the turbine ruins the view of that hillside but it's always had two strings of pylons up it which are really ugly. Also the Christie family have been in the area for four generations, significantly longer than most Ringmer residents, there's a reason there's a Christie Road and Mildmay Road in Ringmer..
5
3
On 26 Sep 2018 at 1:21pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
I used to live in Gote Lane and love the turbine. I canít see what your problem is, Ďtis a thing of beauty.
3
 
On 26 Sep 2018 at 4:50pm Daniel wrote:
You love the turbine? How can you love it?
Are you being sarcastic when you say it's a thing of beauty?!?
1
2
On 29 Sep 2018 at 1:49pm Ringmer Peasant wrote:
Glyndebourne is of course only the second or third home for the Christie family. They have usually had London and Devon homes too. The Devon estate went to the eldest son; Glyndebourne to one of his younger brothers.


21 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Lewes Love 70:132
Lewes Love

Does anyone know the owner of a ginger cat on Hamsey Crescent that wears a blue/yellow or blue/grey collar? It is quite skinny... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams