Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Frack under your house without your permission!

On 8 Sep 2013 at 2:25am They cannot be serious wrote:
Propsed government legisalation to enable them to frack under your house without asking your permission or even informing you.If you object read the proposed legislation and reply stating your objections.

Check it out here »

On 8 Sep 2013 at 2:30am Here`s the relevant bit wrote:
Heres the relevant bit.

"10. In light of this, the Government considers that it is UNREASONABLE and impractical to require applicants (FRACKERS) for planning permission for underground oil and gas working to serve notice on owners and tenants of land across such a widely drawn area. It is therefore appropriate to review the manner in which they are notified for onshore oil and gas planning applications."

If this amendment goes unchallenged by Oct 15th every frack co will have legal permission to drill and frack under YOUR property. Currently they have to seek permission.

This UNREASONABLE legality is what's halted Caudrilla in Balcombe. Follow the link and RESPOND BY OCT 14th.

On 8 Sep 2013 at 8:02am Deelite 2 wrote:
For what it's worth I've just submitted this:

As a rural Sussex home owner I am concerned at this move to remove my right to be consulted by companies wishing to undertake horizontal high pressure hydraulic fracturing underneath my property. Horizontal high pressure hydraulic fracturing (referred to from now on as fracking) is a relatively new technology involving the injection of millions of gallons of water mixed with a large number of carcinogenic, toxic and non-biodegradable (i.e persistent) chemicals. Much of the fluid injected into the ground (and often the majority) is not recoverable and left in the shale. In the US the technology has been in use for a little over a decade. In this time there have been many reports of the ill effects suffered by people living in close proximity to fracking operations. The list of the harmed contains over 1,700 such reports. It can be seen here:

http://bit.ly/LmznyC

So far only one horizontal frack has taken place in the UK; in the North West, near Blackpool. It has caused a series of (still) ongoing earth tremors. There is also concern that fracking may cause tremors for long after the shale gas is exhausted:

http://bit.ly/15arR4q

As the technology is so new we have no real idea what the long term affects will be. Could the toxic chemicals and biocides migrate from the shale to the aqifier in 20, 50, 100, 200 years? We cannot be sure, and as Sussex geology includes four reasonable sized fault lines prediction is unreliable at best.

The Environment Agency has raised serious concerns that fracking near aquifers was too risky to contemplate (although the final report appears to have been watered down after the EA privately briefed government ministers):

http://bit.ly/15arR4q

Many houses in the Sussex countryside, like my own, have water wells. My well currently supplies drinking water purer than the mains (which is derived from the Sussex Ouse and Ardingly reservoir, also at threat from fracking operations). In addition my house, along with many others in Sussex of a certain age, has very shallow foundations. For these two reasons alone it is necessary I am personally consulted by a company requiring to use a process beneath my home which is proven to have caused earth tremors and pollution

Adding to my concern is the fact that these fracking companies are not well regulated in the UK by law. Although the companies insist that their UK drilling rigs are safer than the ones in the US (by inference implying that the ones in the States are not sufficiently safe) the UK safety requirements are not backed by legislation. The fracking companies are effectively self- regulating. The overriding aim of any fracking company is to maximise profit for the shareholders and the long-term welfare of the people whose land they wish to exploit is not at the heart of their concerns. Reports like this one in Private Eye also serve to underline the fact that fracking operations cannot be thought of as intrinsically safe:

http://bit.ly/1f6Ltav

To sum up, fracking is an ineffectively regulated and inherently risky practice. Removing the rights of home owners to be consulted only serves to further diminish the rights of ordinary people, and results in a greater threat to their welfare. Indeed, the legislation should be looking not at reducing the rights of ordinary people but to extending them.

A better solution would be to pass legislation giving householders the right to refuse to allow fracking operations beneath their property and within a defined distance (suggested as 10km) of any aquifers that produce their drinking water.

On 8 Sep 2013 at 10:34am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
That is bloody alarming, frankly.

I like to think that as a freeholder I have a certain amount of say as to what goes on under my house.

On 8 Sep 2013 at 10:34am The Old Mayor wrote:
FFS. The Kronic. Hope it's your house that collapses. Deelite2 has done all the work for us. Just copy and paste onto email, copy and paste email address from page 10 of link.
On 8 Sep 2013 at 11:15am Deelite 2 wrote:
You might want to miss the bit out about my house though.....
:-)

On 8 Sep 2013 at 11:47am Not under my house wrote:
If you object to this proposed change to the legislation please pass this information and or link on to you friends and relatives. We only have a short period of time to try and stop this gross violation of of our rights so we have to act quickly.

Remember this applies to the whole of the U.K. Over 60% of the U.K. could be fracked. We have to stop this now!
Most insurance companies will not insure for damage caused by fracking so it could impact upon homeowners in a major way.

Contact your local M.P.The Newspapers and media. The more of us that help to spread the word the more effective we will be.

We CAN Stop this.

On 9 Sep 2013 at 12:31pm Deelite 2 wrote:
Cuadrilla have stopped drilling at Balcombe. Good. You wouldn't want a company like this drilling under your house:

In 2011 their fracking caused earthquakes because they had performed inadequate geological surveys. They deformed their well casing at PH1 well in Lancashire. They failed to report this to DECC and were chastised because of this by the government when the facts emerged. This resulted in the sacking and replacement of their then CEO.

In 2012 their subcontractors trespassed on private land and the inadequate knowledge of explosive use in seismological survey work caused damage to property which has resulted in claim settlement. It also caused death in angling club fish ponds.

In summer 2012 they issued promotional material which was later to be judged by the Advertising Standards Authority as breaching standards on a number of counts.
In Preston magistrates Court it was admitted by Lancashire County Council that Cuadrilla had breached planning conditions at Banks by continuing to drill two months beyond their permitted time, the conditions being imposed because of the importance of the area to overwintering birds.

In Balcombe Cuadrilla failed to meet planning conditions by failing to have available copies of their planning conditions on-site.

Cuadrilla have withdrawn two applications for amendments to their planning consent granted in 2010 on suspicion that the original consent was not fully lawfully granted, and an extension was challengeable.

In Balcombe Cuadrilla have now been shown to be in breach of their noise conditions.

Significantly, most of these problems were highlighted not through government department action, but by local communities and individuals raising their concerns.

On 9 Sep 2013 at 4:30pm Latest from Balcombe wrote:
BREAKING NEWS: Balcombe Community Protection Camp has been given a letter by West Sussex Council demanding they to leave by 9am tomorrow morning or the council will start legal proceedings to get them removed. See photo.
This is NOT a court order.
There is no guarantee, however, that the Police will not try something tomorrow. Please go down if you can especially legal observers/cameras.
BREAKING NEWS: Balcombe Community Protection Camp has been given a letter by West Sussex Council demanding they to leave by 9am tomorrow morning or the council will start legal proceedings to get them removed. See photo. This is not a court order but there is no guarantee that the Police will not try something tomorrow. Please go down if you can esp legal observers/cameras

On 11 Sep 2013 at 5:29pm Template for objecting wrote:
Heres a good template.Remember we don`t have long.

Check it out here »

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Clouds 65:132
Lewes Clouds

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams