Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Finally: a solution to Earwig Corner

On 11 Jan 2016 at 10:00pm Peasant wrote:
Hard to credit how smoothly traffic can flow into Lewes from the north now that Malling Hill is one way only.
Can we make this system permanent please?
Why has no one come up with this solution before?
On 11 Jan 2016 at 11:15pm Unpeasant wrote:
You can stick that idea where the sun don't shine. All that poxy traffic coming through my estate. All you village idiots should car share or work fro home
On 11 Jan 2016 at 11:15pm Bill wrote:
I agree. It's great.
On 11 Jan 2016 at 11:18pm Bill wrote:
Perhaps time to realise that no one wants to put up with all that traffic. We need better public transport and fewer cars.
On 12 Jan 2016 at 6:15am Cuban Raft Rider wrote:
Fantastically smooth flowing traffic, glad they are finally giving this idea a trial . We just need parking controls to reduce the number of wrecks dumped on the side of the pavement in the estate. Will this area be regenerated after the Phoenix?
On 12 Jan 2016 at 7:28am David wrote:
I agree , make church lane the exit from Lewes , getting into Lewes is so easy at moment from the village , also do park and ride from the estate too , as loads of spaces on roads around malling
On 12 Jan 2016 at 9:18am Dixie Normus wrote:
As Malling is part of the regeneration of totally s*** areas where poverty is high, David Cameron should be taking care of it, if his recent plans come through. Perhaps a new Multi-Storey?
On 12 Jan 2016 at 9:27am Stirling wrote:
Yes its fine but you have to be a bit more aggressive to turn left off causeway to Tesco's now. A lot better than the lights though.
On 12 Jan 2016 at 9:48am Slarty wrote:
I think the reason that traffic is flowing well is just because people think that the roadworks for the pelican crossing will be as bad as the ones for the power cable and are avoiding the A26 into/out of Lewes.
If so, the solution is less cars, not just a detour for cars.
On 12 Jan 2016 at 7:34pm A. Hitler wrote:
A final solution would be road from the electricity site just west of Ringmer, crossing/joining the A26 just north of the allotments and across the Ouse valley to join the B2116 at Offham.
On 12 Jan 2016 at 7:52pm Roger wrote:
Great news , heard they putting double yellows lines all up church lane , police workers have been told to park in malling club carpark and Roads round area ,
On 12 Jan 2016 at 9:08pm Ed Can Do wrote:
The downside to having no parking along Church Lane is that most of the people driving that way are doing it at about 40mph. The parked cars in Malling do a great job of traffic calming, putting in double yellow lines is a terrible idea.
On 12 Jan 2016 at 10:21pm H Goering wrote:
NO to your road AH - We want the rail link there
On 13 Jan 2016 at 8:46am Slarty wrote:
The rail link will only (mainly) help with people that live near a station in Uckfield or further up that line and work in Lewes or near another station that Lewes connects to (or the other way around). People from Uckfield way that don't work near a station will still drive through Lewes. People from Ringmer way wont drive to Uckfield to catch the train. It may have a slight affect, but not much (IMHO).
Give it 5 years after the rail line reopens and the traffic will be back to current levels as traffic from other routes into Lewes migrate to the slightly emptier route.
On 13 Jan 2016 at 11:03am Bill wrote:
What we need, apart from fewer cars and better public transport, more frequent buses as well as the Uckfield-Lewes trainline, is a way to get more of the over-sized lorries off this road. They are too heavy and often drive too fast causing road damage apart from anything else such as safety concerns. We really need speed enforcement on these roads and it seems ridiculous considering that the Police Headquarters is in this area that there isn't any. Malling is, and is becoming an increasingly residential area so should have residential-friendly road policies to match. After all we pay council tax just like anyone else in Lewes or the surrounding villages. I've often heard it mentioned that Malling should be used for parking for the rest of the town, well people have Tescos car park already, and we don't want your multi-story car parks, why not try leaving the car at home and walking occasionally, or petitioning for a better bus service?

On 14 Jan 2016 at 8:21am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd love a better bus service, one that people who commute by train could use. Sadly, and despite me signing every petition to improve or increase the service from the Nevill, it has been cut to the point where it's only any use for people who work in Lewes, those who want to travel during the day or schoolkids.
When Mr C-T worked in London, it was either walk to and from the station or I'd give him a lift. The first bus was too late and the last bus too early.
Now that the frequency of the buses has been reduced, the service is only any use to those with plenty of time to spare.
Buses are also dreadfully slow. A colleague lives in Tunbridge Wells. She'd love to get the bus to and from work, but it would take more than twice as long, and her childcare arrangements wouldn't be viable. So she drives.
For a lot of people, using public transport is simply too inconvenient, and too expensive. I drive to work in Eastbourne once a week, because the train is £12 (plus bus fare if I don't walk to the station) and no quicker.

On 14 Jan 2016 at 9:00pm Mary wrote:
I agree about the need for better public transport, particularly buses and the Route 29 bus to Uckfield and Tunbridge Wells from Brihton. So many times I've been left in the pouring rain to carry my shopping back to Malling. I don't have, and can't afford a car. I also use the bus to get to work in Brighton as it is cheaper than the train. I wrote to Brighton and Hove bus company about the lack of frequency on this route plus the lack of time-keeping, and the lack of bus shelters. I was told that my comments would be looked at when the new timetabling in April was being planned, so I urge anyone concerned about this to write to the bus company now in the hope that it will do some good. As to bus shelters, that's East Sussex County Council who we pay council tax to. We really need to keep petitioning our politicians about the need for better public transport as roads aren't getting any less crowded, plus many in low paid jobs can't afford cars but public transport doesn't run at the early or late times that often go with these jobs. Also, I know it's not a macho car-driving thing to say, but we are destroying the lives of millions (one of the causes of 'economic' migration) with Climate Change.
To contact us about our bus services
e-mail us at info@buses.co.uk
telephone us on 01273 886200
Monday to Friday 7am to 7pm, Saturday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Sunday and Bank Holidays 9.30am-4.30pm.
twitter @BrightonHoveBus
facebook www.facebook.com/brightonbuses
write to us at Brighton & Hove Bus and Coach Company,
43 Conway Street, HOVE, East Sussex BN3 3LT

On 18 Jan 2016 at 6:13pm LewesGal wrote:
Having all that traffic going up church lane including big lorrys is not a great permanent solution cars are speeding not stopping at the zebra crossing and very dangerous for all those school children trying to get to school safety.

On 19 Jan 2016 at 1:06pm Mary wrote:
I agree with LEWESGAL, but none of us want these big lorries, particularly the ones that speed at night/early morning because no one seems to penalise them for doing so. It shouldn't be happening in a residential area. Once a lot of this would have been freight on trains. It doesn't help that lorries for Veolia run down to the incinerator in Newhaven all the time either.
Appalling though that cars aren't stopping at the zebra crossing. No excuse for this.

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Down the Pan 32:132
Down the Pan

Imagine being told off by TP for butting into other peoples conversations, of ALL people. The shame!!! more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde