Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

False widow spider

On 30 Sep 2014 at 12:51pm Anna wrote:
Are all the big spiders we see in the gardens in their big webs false widow spiders or not?
On 30 Sep 2014 at 12:57pm Real widow spider wrote:
Is it un PC to say Black . Can you have a widow spider in the logpile ?
On 30 Sep 2014 at 1:08pm Spidey wrote:
No these are the European Garden Spider.
On 30 Sep 2014 at 1:11pm Ian wrote:
Hi Anna
No, False widows tend to have a very messy, tangly web near the ground and prefer to hide in warmer damper places, under logs, bricks etc. I've never had one at my Ringmer address, but we're coming down with them at my 'weekend' place out on the Essex Marshes, I've evicted 4 this year already! They can be feisty little blighters, but as long as you handle them with care (i.e. in a glass!) you'll be fine.
On 30 Sep 2014 at 2:25pm Anna wrote:
Happy to hear that they are garden spiders. We have had one in the house and one outside. Have a baby crawling around the house so really scared of them. Can you get some poison?
On 30 Sep 2014 at 5:34pm Shelob wrote:
Why on earth would you want to poison garden spiders? More worryingly, why would you want to leave poison lying around the house with a baby crawling about? If they are in your house just pick them up and put them outside - they won't bite you! If you are worried that they might be false widows, then look online and see what false widow look like rather than asking people on here.
On 30 Sep 2014 at 6:43pm Malling resident wrote:
We have had quite a few false widows in or around or house in the past few years. They like south facing walls and are very different looking from garden spiders (black and shiny and there are white markings on their bodies).
On 30 Sep 2014 at 7:19pm Ex Labour Voter wrote:
What a load of hysterical rubbish.
They're spiders.
Death rate from British spiders still hovers at zero.
You're in more danger from a bite from one of the rancid Greens that infest Lewes, especially those that feel poor personal hygiene is environmentally advantageous
On 30 Sep 2014 at 8:10pm plumberinlewes wrote:
I got bitten by a spider in the greenhouse. Stung a tiny bit at first didn't think much of it. 30 min later my arm went tingly. after and hour lymph-nodes in my armpit got really sore. By this time I had been on the net and learned I wasn't going to die and I didn't need to chop off my arm. But I did need to have a lie down later that day, as I felt a bit queasy after scaring myself silly considering the "What If's"! Funny in hindsight.
On 30 Sep 2014 at 10:17pm Mr Norman Normal wrote:
Anna I hear that Arsenic is a good deterrent for spiders.. Might I suggest that you sprinkle a good dosing of the stuff all around your house.. I would gladly assists you...

On 30 Sep 2014 at 10:24pm President Abe Anormal wrote:
Arsenic , in tiny doses is quite theraputic.

On 30 Sep 2014 at 11:53pm Daddy swollen ankles wrote:
I had a false widow in my house this morning. 10 minutes later her husband walked in. Oh how we laughed

On 1 Oct 2014 at 7:17am Oswald wrote:
Why an earth would you want to go to Essex for the weekend?

On 1 Oct 2014 at 8:25am Ian wrote:
My partner lives there Oswald, but you're right. I ask myself that every Friday when I'm parked on the M25! We have Wasp Spiders out on the marshes where we live, beautiful to look at, but the bigger females can give you a bit of a nip.
Anna, the odds are that any poison is far more likely to harm your child than the odds of being bitten by a spider. Just let them be, with declining bird populations we need all the help we can to take on these 'super mossies' that have reached our shores.

On 1 Oct 2014 at 9:32am carmen wrote:
the false widows in our property we have are quite small and have the distinctive pattern round their body

Check it out here »

On 1 Oct 2014 at 12:01pm Miranda wrote:
Thanks for the link

On 1 Oct 2014 at 10:02pm Skulduggery wrote:
False widows have what looks like a skull on their backs, very distinctive. Definately bottom of the class when it came to web making, just a messy tangle with no pattern

On 2 Oct 2014 at 9:33am Henry wrote:
A false widow spider ate my leg

Check it out here »

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Landport bound 52:132
Landport bound

Why is public money being spent on it? Maybe because there are people prepared to campaign for a safe cycling route from Lewes... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy