Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Falling Weights

On 6 Jun 2016 at 9:09pm SHS wrote:
It's obvious but to the best of my knowledge the campaigners have not made the most of it. A falling pound helps British industry compete against imports and encourages everyone to buy British. Supplies from abroad too expensive? Buy them here. Don't exist? Business oportunity.
On 7 Jun 2016 at 12:13pm DOH wrote:
I'm guessing you're trolling (or failing at trolling), I am also guessing this is supposed to be in reference with the EU trade?
We won't be out for another 2 years (assuming the vote is out), today's exchange rates are irrelevant... When we're out it will come down to what trade agreement we have (if any) and the tariff rate charged.
On 7 Jun 2016 at 2:33pm . wrote:
the UK is under no obligation, as set out in article 50, to trigger the 2 year leaving timeframe straight away. It can negotiate a mutually beneficial trade agreement over 5 years if it wants and then leave in 2.
On 7 Jun 2016 at 3:14pm DOH wrote:
The government is under obligation to start the process within a short space of time and has stated that it intends to do so. Yes you're right that we can trigger it when we want from EU perspective, but if the result is out that has legal ramifications and if we still haven't started the process after 5 years the majority will want to know why. No it can't take 5 years...
On 7 Jun 2016 at 6:47pm SHS wrote:
Trade agreementsmay have some effect, good and bad, but currency
movements are usually independent of them and can have a much bigger effect. Anyway, hardly a debate, just endless threats and warnings, I hope us Brits will make our own minds up and see through all the spam. I believe in choice, democracy and opportunity, together with the means to put our house in order as we see fit, working with and welcoming whoever we wish.
On 7 Jun 2016 at 7:07pm old crumb wrote:
I agree SHS you do not need a trade deal to trade; this has always been a truism - the economic case for leaving is considerably stronger as it will allow us to mitigate and navigate the turbulent economic waters ahead with a nimbleness and degree of self control unavailable if we continue to shackle ourselves to a declining customs union.
Any country serious about it's economic policy would also base it's immigration policy on skills rather than geographical location another plus for leave.
I feel we have history on our side, it seems unlikely the EU can continue in it's present form without full blown federalisation (lesson to remainers there), like the soviet union it is a creaking bureaucracy that is an anachronism in today's fast paced age and I think a looser trade based relationship is needed.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes inferno 69:132
Lewes inferno

P.S. this is becoming a habit but what the hell? You may need a little help so may I refer you to you tube~ Richard Werner the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine