Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Extension recky

On 11 Oct 2017 at 7:04pm Midnight wrote:
How much do you reckon a double story side extension, extending by about 3 metres, would cost?
I realise I need a builders quote, but don't want to waste their time by getting them round to quote if it's too expensive to consider in the first place.
Has anyone out there had similar done and if so at what cost?
On 11 Oct 2017 at 7:12pm not enough info wrote:
how long is a piece of string?
On 11 Oct 2017 at 7:24pm Planner wrote:
£1,500 per square metre of floor space
On 11 Oct 2017 at 8:19pm Tea drinking builder wrote:
That 1500 per metre is new build I think Planner
Obviously it's a vague question with too many variables but to give you an idea the average Nevill extension comes in at 60 grand
On 11 Oct 2017 at 8:42pm Midnight wrote:
Thanks to both of you.
£1,500 per square metre.....how do I calculate that for a double story?
£60,000 is that double story? What does a Nevill extension mean? Are they priced differently to the rest of Lewes?!
Does anyone know this: what do you do if the area you want to extend over has manhole covers in the ground?
Grareful for any replies.
On 11 Oct 2017 at 9:48pm Been there wrote:
You can build over a sewer but it adds a bit to the cost and you need to get approval which isnít guaranteed (but will usually be ok). Get the approval before you start work.
On 11 Oct 2017 at 10:01pm Tea drinking builder wrote:
No Nevill extensions aren't priced differently
But to give you an idea building one is relatively straight forward as:
The existing house is a standard 1930/40's semi
There's plenty of room to work and store materials
Plenty of free parking
Reasonably level site
Easy access for deliveries
All these issues influence cost
If you're building on to a period place in town then it's a different ball game
On 11 Oct 2017 at 10:26pm Gerty wrote:
60-75k is your ballpark estimate.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 8:27am Midnight wrote:
Thanks everyone.
@teadrinkungbuilder do you agree that extensions can be built over manhole covers? How do you access the drains when needed if you build over the manholes?
Thanks for advice.

On 12 Oct 2017 at 9:28am Rough quote wrote:
Yes as said it depends on many factors, I got quote for a loft extension, side extension and rear a couple of years ago (3 bed in Landport).
It was roughly:
Loft no dorma 30-35k
Loft with dorma 45k
Rear single floor extension 30k
Rear double floor 45k
It comes down to a lot of things though, what it's built from, parking, access, existing electric supply (we needed a rewire too), plumbing (can your boiler take the new radiators), mains sewage locations, finish of the extension (they can just build the shell and leave you to DIY it), roof type (side I think you have to match the main roof), etc, etc
Could easily go to 65k+ if you have architect, water/waste water, lots of doorways, need it all decorated, carpet down etc.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 9:37am Deja Vu wrote:
@Midnight
Lift the manhole cover, is it only your drain in there or are neighbours drains in there too?
If it has neighbours drains in you need to get the water board involved (use need to get a license, they will come and inspect and sign the work off).
If it's your drain the regulations are you need a manhole cover at every turn (so that you can get access to unblock it), so the cover is presumably over a turn. If it is the best option is to dig it up and replace the pipe for a straight pipe (big job), or move the turn to another place in the pipe where the manhole cover can go (still a big job).
Depending on what land it's on that might not be possible, sounds like it's probably just a pipe on your property running from the back to the front though, in which case it should be fine. Lift the cover and you should get a good idea.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 12:26pm stevied wrote:
Just had a rear extension done on the Nevill; in our case a sewer pipe runs along the back of the houses. We were allowed to build over it but had to get a 'build over agreement' from Southern Water (£940!); basically they approve the plans and inspect the pipe before and after to make sure that it hasn't been damaged. Access to a public sewer can't be from inside a private building, so we had to move the manhole further along. Good luck!
On 12 Oct 2017 at 2:23pm Fairmeadow wrote:
£50-£75K is the probable range in suburbia with space to work, and with a standard finish. More if it is a period house in the town or in a conservation area or somewhere without space for the builder to work and park or you want a top quality finish. Don't believe the minimal quotes you see on T programmes unless you can do all the work yourself.
On 12 Oct 2017 at 3:01pm Midnight wrote:
Blimey, sounds prohibitively expensive, even in suburbia where I live.
How the heck is everyone around me affording their extensions?!
On 12 Oct 2017 at 6:08pm Equity wrote:
in the property - THE Lewes Money Tree

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

waterloo badge 128:132
waterloo badge

This site availability is not widely known and is obviously another useful means of contacting a GP unless you have an emergency... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine