Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Education

On 23 Mar 2012 at 7:34pm Clifford wrote:
An American reports says: 'Students who majored in traditional liberal arts fields like philosophy, history and English showed ‚??significantly higher gains in critical thinking, complex reasoning and writing skills over time than students in other fields of study.‚??‚?Ě But of course these are the courses and instructors being ruthlessly pruned back.'

The same sort of thing is happening here. It's almost as if there's a plan to make sure the next generation isn't capable of 'critical thinking' and 'complex reasoning and writing skills'.

On 24 Mar 2012 at 12:19am SHS wrote:
Maybe those that majored in maths and science were already well ahead of their peers in 'critical thinking, complex reasoning and writing skills' so had less of a gain to make? Isn't logical thinking important too? Our own government has just run a budget where it deducted 50 from 1 million and made the answer 5 million.

On 24 Mar 2012 at 12:30am Paul Newman wrote:
Why thank you Clifford .The vastly superior critical thinking and complex reasoning I acquired doing an English degree has led me to doubt the Nation can afford to send half its children on a three year drinking and posing spree( fun though it may have been).
More does not mean better and there will continue to be luxury subjects at the top end . For most employability is what they will demand as consumers. Frankly how anyone could defend our educational system is beyond me , there was no greater failure during the Blair years

On 24 Mar 2012 at 9:32am Evreka wrote:
Philosophy, History and English are all essay-based subjects, so naturally those who are successful in that field have all learned to express their ideas fluently. Maths and Science are not. Certainly we do need more scientists, so perhaps it is considered OK for the rest of us to drift into Textspeak.

On 24 Mar 2012 at 9:38am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
And now there are concerns that people working in nursery schools have such poor literacy that they can't do their jobs properly. Soon we'll be a nation of illiterates.
On 24 Mar 2012 at 6:00pm bastian wrote:
oh I don't think so ACT, we mustn't allow shock headlines to prey on our fears.
It is essential to have expressive thinkers and questioners to keep a balance in society and I have often thought that there is an underlying plot to squeeze the subjects responsible for reasoning off the curriculum. Some of us can remember when politics and economics were available to be studied at O level ( state school to)
Of course if you want a shock headline then Boris Johnson has taken a pop at state schools for the irresponsible rioters in the summer....he really is a few sandwiches short of a picknic. You just get the impression that these men of this tory government have had so little contact with actual society that they shouldn't be allowed to make any policey that will affect society. Out of touch doesn't cover it.

On 25 Mar 2012 at 8:53pm Woody wrote:
'bastian' - Commenting on levels of literacy? Try and keep your own house in order if you are...

On 25 Mar 2012 at 10:15pm expat two wrote:
Woody - since when did one have to be an artist to be a critic.

On 26 Mar 2012 at 12:18am Woody wrote:
True ExP, although I'd suggest it helps.

On 26 Mar 2012 at 4:12pm cucumber sandwich wrote:
@Woody - no need to be rude, bastian's commenting on critical thinking, not literacy per se

On 26 Mar 2012 at 4:50pm bastian wrote:
er..I don't remember mentioning literacy at all...spelling has nothing to do with critical thinking..thinking does not need to be written down.

On 26 Mar 2012 at 7:14pm Woody wrote:
Apologies Bastian. I was getting annoyed at remarks from dear PN and Clifford and then taking it out on you.
I'm tired of the teacher bashing and general ignorance about our education system.

On 26 Mar 2012 at 7:54pm bastian wrote:
so am I, clifford is a sound and critical thinker so no problem there,it is not education that is the problem in society but the endless tampering from central government without regard for peoples actual lives and upbringings that p*sses me off.
I think Clifford was talking about university level education which is suffering cut backs in so many subjects not considered important by thrusting young conservatives.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pipe Passage 98:132
Pipe Passage

I pay lots of subscription fees for various tv, film and music services....including the BBC....i can't recall ever feeling... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine