Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

EDF, a joke.

On 11 Aug 2014 at 9:03pm Rosiecheeks wrote:
I have been a customer with EDF for 25 yrs. my last bill arrived in June and the high amount was more than I pay in a year. On looking at the bill I realized that it was the wrong meter number. I phoned and eventually spoke to a real person and explained my problem, And gave them my meter reading. A week later I received another bill and the amount was In the thousands. Thank god i don't pay by direct debit, I would have been bankrupt. After another phone call I was assured that the problem would be sorted. I had to send a picture of my meter showing its number and also the readings. Well today I had my bill. This bill was the last two bills they had sent me added together. What a f------ joke, thousands, when I normally pay 90 per quarter. They have now threatened me with disconnection, a court warrant,etc. I am so pleased I do not pay by direct debit. . So keep an eye on your bank statements.
On 11 Aug 2014 at 9:09pm Historian wrote:
EDF = Electricite De France the clue is in the name. Sucker !
On 11 Aug 2014 at 9:19pm Mr. Therm wrote:
Change to British gas - there is a clue in the name
On 11 Aug 2014 at 9:28pm Rosiecheeks wrote:
They weren't owned bythe French when I went with them. Non of them are any good, they all rip you off one way or another.
On 11 Aug 2014 at 10:55pm Milly Terry - Mann wrote:
Totally agree.the English Defence League are a bleeding joke.

On 12 Aug 2014 at 7:01am ex bad man wrote:
Rosiecheeks. get it sorted as soon as you can, I used to work with the electric industry, and used to have to go round with court warrant officers and locksmiths to disconnect customers. if the meter is on the inside of your property, they can legally gain entry wether you are in or not to disconnect due to the meter being their property, all the time you are in dispute with them you will not be able to switch companies as they will argue that you owe them and you cannot switch while in debt. log all phone call(record them if you can) and all letters by registered post. believe me these people are ruthless.

On 12 Aug 2014 at 7:12am Double check wrote:
90 x 4 , sounds cheap to me are you sure it's not caught up with you ,
On 12 Aug 2014 at 7:51am salinas wrote:
There was a "British Energy" and it was acquired by Electricite de France, which is state owned. Had the UK a state-owned electricity company, that would not be owned by the French. Thanks Iron Lady!

On 12 Aug 2014 at 7:59am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
EDF seem to have real trouble keeping track of their meters.
A friend thought she had a power cut, but it turned out that the meter that her elec was supplied through was a prepayment meter that had run out of credit. They'd attributed the wrong meters to the wrong flats, and she'd been paying the bill for the flat below for several years without realising.
It took 2.5 years and the Ombudsman to sort that one out. She'd overpaid by several thousand, all of which she got back, plus 1.5k compensation, and they wrote off all the charges for the flat below, and had to pay that tenant 1.5k compensation for giving him a bill for 6k when he'd only lived there for a few months and frightening him half to death.
Someone else I know had gas supplied by EDF who flatly denied that he had a gas meter in his property. That took 2 years to sort out.
Mind you, I've also encountered similar problems with British Gas, SSE and Ovo, so maybe they're all rubbish.
They have you over a barrel, as once their accounts say you owe them money, you can't switch as you can't change suppliers when you're in arrears.

On 12 Aug 2014 at 9:40am Earl of Lewes wrote:
"Switch to us and we can reduce your electricity bill to 30 a month..." Then in 12 months' time we'll send you a letter telling you that there's a 360 shortfall between your electricity costs and your monthly charge, so we'll be increasing your direct debit to 60 a month. The whole thing's a bad joke.

On 12 Aug 2014 at 12:38pm drone wrote:
A suggestion that all correspondence may soon be passed to OGEM sometimes gets the desired result.

On 12 Aug 2014 at 2:32pm Running water wrote:
I have the same problem with the water meter
On 12 Aug 2014 at 4:46pm Rosiecheeks wrote:
Thanks for a sensible response Ex Bad Man. I have been in touch with the ombudsman, he wasn't surprised it is EDF. They have given me a case number. I also had email from a guy at EDF, saying I shouldn't have had those bills in first place. I was trying to get over to people about paying by direct debit, it could bankrupt you, happy days, will wait and see what happens next.

On 12 May 2016 at 5:48am cherriegrey wrote:
Hi Rosiecheeks,
I am hearing the name of EDF since 30 years. And I am satisfied with their services. Minor issues go side by side. In case of any doubt, I straight forwardly call EDF Customer care here . Last month my Electricity bill was more than usage. I usually keep noting meter reading, and when I received the bill I compared that reading with bill reading. There was a huge difference of reading and I brought the matter before EDF customer care. They forwarded my call to the concerned department .After checking their they found the error from their side and they sent me rectified bill.
When you received the incorrect bill, it was your duty to have a contact with their customer services and settled the matter .

Check it out here »

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pipe Passage 98:132
Pipe Passage

Hello. I was also recently looking for the perfect place for a photo shoot. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams