Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Dog Mess..........No Excuse!!!

4
2
On 11 Apr 2013 at 6:50pm Countryside Lover wrote:
Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
"Because open countryside is full of poo - sheep, cattle, fox, badger etc."
So that makes it ok then.........
Herbivore poo is not dangerous to kids and animals whereas dog poo can be. You will not see badger poo because they use latrines mostly and fox poo is rare and fairly innocuous. Every place I walk around Lewes is covered in dog poo, left by thoughtless and selfish owners. THERE IS NO EXCUSE!!!!!!
1
2
On 12 Apr 2013 at 8:11am Pete wrote:
Not this one again.....
3
 
On 12 Apr 2013 at 12:49pm drone wrote:
Bit of an over statement CL. But it is true that we could do with more dog waste bins round town
1
 
On 12 Apr 2013 at 3:11pm Trevor wrote:
Why would extra dog waste bins stop selfish tw@ts not picking up poo?
 
 
On 12 Apr 2013 at 4:41pm Nevill wrecked wrote:
Not sure poo bins on the green are a great idea , does that encourage dogs to dump on te green ?
2
1
On 12 Apr 2013 at 6:12pm I dont live in lewes... wrote:
Countryside Lover. Farm animals can harbour e.coli, salmonella and camplylobacter all of which pose a real hazard to human health. Being herbivores doesn't make them harmless.
Agree dog owners who don't clean up especially when in town or places of high public usage are selfish. However, picking up one bit of dog poo amongst the hundreds of tons of farm animal excrement that can be found scattered across the South Downs seems pointless.
PhilX
1
 
On 12 Apr 2013 at 7:03pm Dog Turd wrote:
You are allowed to put dog poo in any bin
 
1
On 12 Apr 2013 at 8:00pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
If fox poo is rare, how come one of my dogs manages to find some to roll in at least twice a week?
 
 
On 13 Apr 2013 at 7:20am I dont live in lewes... wrote:
ACT. Re:Fox poo. You are not alone as my dogs also delight in rolling in it most weeks.
PhilX
1
1
On 14 Apr 2013 at 7:14am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
And it's not innocuous, as CL suggests, is it? Stinks to high heaven.
I got given a great tip a few years ago: if you rub tomato ketchup into the fox crap before you bath the dog, it gets rid of the lingering after-pong much more easily. Has to be TK though, no point in using passata or sun-dried tomato paste.
 
 
On 14 Apr 2013 at 9:50am I dont live in lewes... wrote:
Yup! It's a smell neither easily forgotten or to be rid of. Not heard of using TK but have heard of pineapple juice though I've never tried that method. Luckily I have short haired dogs (whippets) and also a hot tub full of nice warm water which I take bucket fulls from. Not recommended but I use a cheap shower gel on them. I have a fox that regularly poos in the garden which isn't helpful. I blame the council. :-)
 
1
On 14 Apr 2013 at 1:26pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I love whippets. My next dog is going to be a whippet. I've enjoyed having terriers, but they're hard work and 2 terriers is 4 times as much trouble as 1. The misbehaviour seems to increase exponentially with each additional terrier imo.
1
 
On 15 Apr 2013 at 7:49pm I dont live in lewes... wrote:
You probably know that Whippets have a very different temperament to terriers. They are very aware and can be sensitive souls. They don't "do" cold and wet but love sun, warmth and the good things in life.... a bit like me. Stating the obvious, recall is important as they can go a long way in a very short time. I've found they do best when kept as a pair.
PhilX
1
1
On 16 Apr 2013 at 11:19pm felix wrote:
What about all the cats that crap in our gardens? Any cat owners want to take some responsibility?
 
1
On 17 Apr 2013 at 6:28am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The whippet temperament is what I love most about them, IDLIL. Well, that and the feel of their lovely silky necks and ears!
Thanks for the tip about keeping a pair. I now have an excuse to get 2 dogs!
I have a friend who has 7 or 8 whippets and races them. It was her that first got me into them. She emailed me a gorgeous pic of a tiny whippet puppy peering into the mouth of her deerhound as he was yawning and I was smitten.
 
 
On 17 Apr 2013 at 11:38am I dont live in lewes... wrote:
Yup they feel both silky and warm to the touch, warm because they readily lose heat. Then there's the dewy eyes and the sweet, innocent seal like face.
But remember that under that feel-oh-so-good-to-the-touch exterior lies the Ferrarri of the dog world. They have a very high muscles to fat ratio and though only weighing in at ><12kg will flatten a human if collided with at speed. They are also high on fuel, eat lots and only the very best food will do Dah-ling. Most people know that Whippets have a penchant for rabbits but you will still get asked " Do they catch rabbits". When you say "Yes" people will nod and smile but be warned they may not be so approving if they witness Thumpers speedy demise. I know of one owner who no longer lets their dog off of the lead because of comments which really is a travesty. On a personal note there have been a few times an upset observer has screamed "Your dogs got a rabbit take it away". Sadly I can't do 35mph and in spite of having a genuine Taoist outlook on life neither can I bring back the dead, both dismal failings of mine.
Understand I'm a life long lover of the breed and I've tried to give you the other side of the coin. If you're not put off by any of the above you'll probably make a great owner.
PhilX
ps. they also fart like a steam train.... you have been warned.


21 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Railway Land Bridge 100:132
Railway Land Bridge

Come back Tom. None of it is meant personally and you know I really do like you in real life. I am interested to know what your... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare