Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Dodgy Home Insulation door-to-door surveys

On 20 Dec 2012 at 7:23pm Lady Grinning Soul wrote:
This afternoon about 3.40pm I answered the door to a man wanting to do a home insulation survey, claimed to be on behalf of the local council. Had no ID on him, or anything remotely official looking (no forms or business cards). Just a scruffy notebook with notes of house numbers and various scribbled notes. I refused to let him in, but he was quite persistent and tried to get into conversation about what we were doing next week. When I asked for ID he claimed his surveyor had an ID badge, but that he was busy doing a survey in another house. I ended up shutting door on him mid-conversation.
I phoned LDC, who said that the insulation grants scheme has now closed and they were not sending anyone round (in any case they post leaflets through and don't actually knock on doors).
After calling at my house he walked up and down De Montfort Road several times and also went round into Offham Road. We kept an eye on him for a bit - the other 'surveyor' with the ID did not exist.
Anyway - now reported to Sussex Police.
Just thought I'd post to alert others.

On 21 Dec 2012 at 1:01am Wanderer wrote:
That's funny because we did get a letter saying they will be coming this month, stupid really because everyone knows Santa lives in the loft. Anyway not letting them in they want to survey saying it needs to be 300mm thinkness.
So 300mm puts it over the floor rafters so you loft boards will no longer fit,
So who pays for the nice entenders to raise the floor up and refit the floor?
Some money making extras here I think!

On 21 Dec 2012 at 10:20am Lady Grinning Soul wrote:
Thanks Wanderer - interesting - who was the letter from? Are you near De Montfort Road?
Whoever they are using (contractor?) is unprofessional, lacking in customer care / training, very persistent and has no ID on them. I'd really like to 'feed back' to the correct officer / department about the bloke's behaviour yesterday.
If, indeed, it was a genuine house call... I'm still not convinced it was.

On 21 Dec 2012 at 11:25am Old Cynic wrote:
Sounds dodgy - thanks for the warning!

On 21 Dec 2012 at 11:35am wanderer wrote:
it was a lewes district council lewes, normal format please allow these people to conduct the survey blah blah blah.
I don't need it, the snow does not melt on my roof hence the insulation works.
And I don't really want to open the loft this time of the year and let all my heat escape.
trying housing maintenance dept,

On 22 Dec 2012 at 6:45am Fingerpointer wrote:
I blame Tesco.

On 24 Dec 2012 at 5:31pm surveyor (real one) wrote:
Most joists (nb. rafters are the angled timbers under the tiles) are 4" or 6" so modern insulation easily covers them. Modern truss roofs aren't designed for storage so this is not a problem.
However, if you want to store stuff up there or board it out then you have a dilemma - raise the joists or use a denser insulation (cf Celotex) under the boards.
Remember not to restrict ventilation in the roof space - I've seen one roof space where it was raining inside the roof - a shower fan exhausted into the loft and very few vents. Nightmare!
As to the mine's OK 'cos the snow doesn't melt - that's fine but it could be your heat is ventilating out the soffit vents rather than rising straight up. Depends on what temp the heating is in the rooms directly below too.
Don't cover power cables with insulation - they can overheat and catch fire.

On 28 Dec 2012 at 9:45am Cllr Ashley Price wrote:
Well done on giving the heads-up and reporting to the police.
Remember to warn elderly and vulnerable friends and relatives (especially those who may not be on the internet).
If they have ID, check it carefully. If you are still not sure, ask them to come back in an hour as you are busy. When they leave, call whichever organisation they claim to be from. Do NOT ring any number the person supplies you with (they could have an accomplice taking calls), use the official number as displayed in the phone book or online. If it turns out they are bogus, contact the police. It's unlikely they will come back, but if they do, don't answer the door.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Chapel Hill Lewes 20:132
Chapel Hill Lewes

Oh the irony more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell