Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

De-regulation

3
10
On 27 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm PrivateHire-unrestricted wrote:
National Private Hire Association
Following the Deregulation Act we cannot endorse a policy to say a driver cannot take a pre-booked job from an operator that is not in his or her area. So the driverís insurance would not be void; providing it went through the appropriate channels and/or authorities do not deem it as touting then his/her insurance would be enforced. If youíre insured for Public Hire/Hackney Carriage; your policy will allow you to ply for hire and take pre-booked work regardless of the area in which the fare was booked.
As it stands even if a private hire or public hire taxi vehicle is being used for work wholly outside the district that granted the vehicle its licence it would not be contravening its insurance policy. However if the driver did something which the authorities felt contradicted the rules and was deemed to be touting then the policy could be voided.
ďPrivate-hire drivers are not restricted to driving within one licensing jurisdiction. In fact, itís common practice for drivers licensed in one council to carry out trips in another. Drivers licensed in England and Wales can legally pick up and drop off passengers anywhere, as long as the trip is pre-booked and their vehicle and driverís licence match the operator they are registered to.
So - why the issue with Uber or anoyone else who has a Private Hire licence.
If I held a Hackney from say Gloucester - then went to live in Brighton - I can set up a Taxi company not "private hire company" calling myself Taxi company as being Hackney licenced. But only in Brighton accept and advertise for private hire work.
Thats the Uber ethos. If my comany was better regulated and better conditions and adheared to the regs - then there is no issue - so if I was called "DOTT" then would "DOTT" be an issue to you as well as "UBER" ?
Bare in mind it works both ways - Fixed pre agreed fares do not need under private hire regs a meter being switched on as mentioned previously. Its about time there was one licence - one licencing rule that all councils work from. Maybe re-regulation of the Hackney rule too.
14
2
On 27 Mar 2018 at 1:52pm Where is the pier mate? wrote:
We will just end up with low end cabs all over the place.They should ban taxis using satnavs,then you will all fnuk off back to where you know the streets .
5
10
On 27 Mar 2018 at 2:25pm PrivateHire-unrestricted wrote:
Incorrect... Poor attitude.
There are some poorly educated - unresponsive - uncommunicative - drivers without the common sense you think they should have - however I intend to setup a new company based exactly against the ethos of UBER but strickly to the regs. I agree it leaves the arena open to drivers just arriving and knowing nothing - however there is a different avenue.
Drivers with common sense should be space aware - location aware.
So..
1. sat nav operation (now in driving tests throughout uk) is necesssary and the old way is un-necessary.
2. A map reading requirement is useful.
3. A pre-booked job - by being prebooked means the driver can check a route that suits the job and suitable to the journey and should also be pre-costed, quoted. no need for a meter to be over charged or because the route driven is longer and over charged.
This is the way forward and means if a driver wishes to work an area different to his licenced plate - it allows him to work - in a safe - secure enviroment. The old method of Hackney - routes in the head and knowledge are on their way out - and should be looked into. Soon we all will be unemployed when driverless comes in to effect. I feel all jobs should be pre-paid, card transactions are best, Drivers should be smart at all times - have good communication skills in English.
It's not about - as you say "where is the pier mate" its about being aware and dedicated.
I wonder if you took a customer to an area outside your area where you currently work - and didnt know it - then I guess you would be on sat nav - or be map clued up? It works both ways.
4
8
On 27 Mar 2018 at 5:14pm History wrote:
If you start a new taxi company you'll just get taken over by S&G or G&M or whatever they call themselves these days. Seriously, are there any numbers listed for Lewes taxis that don't get you put through to Gina?
5
3
On 27 Mar 2018 at 5:20pm Pedant wrote:
Bare in mind - is that what is known as the 'naked truth'?
9
5
On 27 Mar 2018 at 5:43pm dotty wrote:
Always get a excellent service from Gina always on time drivers more than helpful what more do people want
2
8
On 27 Mar 2018 at 6:35pm PrivateHire-unrestricted wrote:
If you believe that you'll just get taken over by S&G or G&M you may have already given up in your mind so I guess you change career and go and do something less taxing. No one is going to take over my company without a fair price or a good reason.
Maybe I should bring my 32 drivers down and run a special offer month - and see what happens. All my drivers are paid a basic. So when regular drivers are complaining about other companies like UBER doing it cheaper then this may bring in the competition.
3
5
On 27 Mar 2018 at 7:01pm customer in waiting wrote:
This sounds great, when will you be starting,do you have an App?
2
6
On 27 Mar 2018 at 7:38pm PrivateHire-unrestricted wrote:
Soon - looking at three offices - one in Lewes near the station, one in Saltdean In Longridge Avenue and one in Newhaven. Watch this space.
7
2
On 27 Mar 2018 at 8:01pm Lovely Jubbly wrote:
Oh sweet ,another 30 plus out of town cabs around Lewes station,That will show Lewes district council who is boss.That will teach them to give UBER a licence,Ha Ha.
4
3
On 28 Mar 2018 at 12:19am Local wrote:
Is this what the Lewes Forum has sunk to? A home for bores with nothing better to do than post long tedious monologues about 'kin taxis?


26 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Webbo Penny 129:132
Webbo Penny

Lewes town's food buying co-op, JustTrade.org , is now accepting orders for its August event.

justtradeinfo@gmail.com for... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the fact it's safe enough to leave windows open and shops don't need to put grills up at night.
Maddie