Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Democracy

On 7 Feb 2017 at 5:14pm How does that work? wrote:
Leave get 1.9 million more votes than Remain, and win, and that is democracy (so get over it).
Clinton gets 2.8 million more votes than Trump, and loses! and that's also democracy, (so get over it!)
Still I suppose if the people have spoken it must be right...
It could confuse a stupid person!
On 7 Feb 2017 at 5:36pm SHS wrote:
It's the Russians.
On 7 Feb 2017 at 7:54pm Bob wrote:
It's different electoral systems. Leave/Remain was a straight numbers game, the US electoral system isn't. The bigger concern for democracy is that the 48% are being utterly ignored. Can you imagine how much the snowflake leavers would be complaining if it was the other way round? They'd be claiming all sorts of "rights" to be heard.
On 7 Feb 2017 at 10:18pm Clifford wrote:
Bob, aren't you misusing the words 'snowflake leavers'? It's the remainers who are whining, saying 'it's not fair we lost' and demanding a second referendum... Tell me, what is it you like about the Goldman Sachs EU? Is it the way they treated the Greeks? Or is it the way they made the French, Dutch and Irish rerun their referendums on the 'constitution' until they gave the right answer?

Check it out here »
On 7 Feb 2017 at 10:36pm American wrote:
I was bought up in American schools, and they always explained the we were not a direct democracy but a representative one.
I don't like Trump, but he hired someone that knew the electoral system.
Hillary was stupid and arrogant. And now she is using her election funds to create unrest. She is the only person worse than Trump.
Should have been Bernie, but Clinton supporters should question why she and her husband (public servants) have amassed a 1/2 Billion for their, "Clinton Foundation" while being public servants. Can you imagine if the Blair's got super rich while "supposedly serving the public".
Oh, yes they did. But Blair was honest....Right?
On 8 Feb 2017 at 6:33am Bob wrote:
I dislike much about the EU but don't think it's worth putting most of the country in poverty to leave it. You disagree and that's fine. It doesn't mean I think the EU is great though I know everything is black and white and simplistic to a lot of leavers.

Tell me though Clifford, what is it you like so much about a government completely ignoring almost half the voting population and the devolved parliaments and not even consider their views in following it's own agenda? Isn't that one of the problems with the EU? And what will you do when they do it again over something you disagree with? (And while I suspect you're trolling, you do realise don't you that Farage was arguing for a 2nd referendum before the first was even over if it was close. Funny how he changed his mind.)
On 8 Feb 2017 at 11:45am robp wrote:
Demanding a second referendum is both responsible and democratic. I'm constantly being told I must "respect" the referendum result. I do respect it. I respect it for exactly what it is: an advisory vote won by a wafer thin majority based on a mountain of lies.
Democracy is a lot more than just one shoddily conducted vote. Democratic votes require well informed voters acting on the information they have. To be democratic you need the campaigns and the media to give voters all the information they need for that to happen. In this referendum both campaigns and the media let us down badly. The Leave campaign lied throughout; they offered no information, just lie after lie after lie. The Remain campaign just failed to turn up; the feeblest political campaign I have ever seen in this country. (And we now know led by a wolf - well, alright a mangy mongrel - in sheep's clothing, Corbyn, and Cameron, who we now know cares for nobody but himself. As for the media, half the media amplified the Leave campaign's lies (after twenty years of softening their readers up with a steady diet of similar lies) and the other half failed dismally to hold them to account. Accepting this result as definitive is not democratic; the democratic thing will be to have another vote once the terms of an exit are known, and to run it properly.

On 9 Feb 2017 at 1:43pm How Does It Work wrote:
Isn't it pathetic when Leavers call Remainers 'snowflake'. I suppose they think that by calling them names like that, they give themselves a sense of strength and superiority. However, if we are snowflakes, then I like to think of Leavers as the small patch of melted snow around a fresh dog turd!

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

roboqueen 102:132
roboqueen

Iím voting Tory Get a farking life, muppet more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes