Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Cycleway

On 19 Jun 2012 at 8:43pm Pedalpower wrote:
Two lone cyclists spotted on the Firle straight heading towards Lewes. On the clearly signed, weed infested and cracked cycle path? Oh no, taking their chance on the west bound carriageway. So why, in this time of austerity have we invested £lots on a continuation cycle path from Ranscombe Lane to the Beddingham roundabout? The money could have been better spent cutting the overgrown verges hereabouts surely?

On 19 Jun 2012 at 11:18pm KENDO CASTER wrote:
Its like the Ringmer to just outside Ringmer total waste of money cycle path.
I see cyclists still using the road nearly every day.

On 20 Jun 2012 at 10:45am Peasant wrote:
The next phase of the Lewes-Ringmer cycleway is already being developed. Ringmer has finished their section, but I'm sure Lewes will quickly catch up by completing their part.
You will be able to cycle safely out to visit us soon, if you have enough puff to get up the hill.
On 20 Jun 2012 at 10:50am Not an idiot wrote:
I'm sure the cycle lane is being built for the villagers to get into Lewes where the action is, not the other way round!
On 20 Jun 2012 at 3:34pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Is Eastgate Street now two-way for cyclists? I was confronted with one earlier, on his way to the bus station from School Hill. A taste of my horn soon put the p**t onto the pavement, where it was safer (for him, but not the hapless pedestrians.)

On 20 Jun 2012 at 4:10pm driver wrote:

Not sure why this posted to the cleaner thread???????
I thought that the highway code did not apply to cyclists? It would certainly appear not, given the utter lack of respect shown for it and other users of roads and pavements by cyclists.

On 20 Jun 2012 at 4:53pm teaboy wrote:
The highway code seems not to apply to motorists, given the utter lack of respect shown for it and other road users by motorists.
Alternatively, some people are dangerous idiots. Some of these drive, others use cars. Some even walk! Thankfully, MOST people aren't.

On 20 Jun 2012 at 5:07pm Penguin wrote:
I am sure there are plenty of cyclists and drivers that would benefit from a basic knowledge of the highway code, and equally importantly a bit of common sense.
Talking of dangerous idiots, I saw a woman this morning on the A27 Kingston roundabout, which is pretty busy at 8.30 in the morning, who, having realised she had missed her exit, just stopped, and then instead of going all the way round again, proceeded to reverse back round the roundabout the wrong way. I didn't see if she hit anything as I drove on past, maybe she did. I have nothing against such people removing themselves from the gene pool, but when they put other people at risk (including the kids in the car with her, not to mention myself) it is a different matter.

On 20 Jun 2012 at 11:10pm ghostbike wrote:
Ah, the Highway Code, a wonderful document that all Lewes drivers follow.
LEt's see rule 163.
"give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)"
Try 212: "If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so."
Oh yes, Lewes drivers are very good at the HIghway Code.

On 21 Jun 2012 at 10:19am Penguin wrote:
When I learned to drive, I was told to give cyclists a 6' berth when overtaking, basically to give them room to fall off. Pretty difficult to do that when they are cycling 2 or even 3 abreast! Strange thing is, in my experience the worst offenders are the cycling clubs, and the 'serious' cyclists - the ones with all their fancy kit, but seemingly no awareness of any other road users.

On 21 Jun 2012 at 11:36am Southover Queen wrote:
I get the impression that many "serious" cyclists have arrived at the conclusion that they're invisible to many drivers of four wheeled vehicles unless they present a larger target and cycle side by side. That's certainly true on the C7, where car drivers barely register them before veering over onto the other side of the road into the face of oncoming traffic.

My attitude is that we all share the roads and we should treat each other with respect and drive according to local conditions. The provision for cyclists hereabouts is truly pathetic: where there are dedicated tracks the surfaces are in such appalling condition that they're dangerous to use. No wonder the cyclists use the road.

On 21 Jun 2012 at 12:23pm GhostBike wrote:
You both sound like pretty considerate drivers. However, I cycle regularly around Lewes (I am also a driver), alone, and in my experience many drivers come so close overtaking their wing mirrors almost brush your arm. The overall impression is of drivers that cannot possibly wait for a few seconds, and cannot bear someone to impede their progress. Rather than wait for the opposite side of the road to be free so that they can overtake as per the Highway Code, they seem to think they can do it while vehicles are coming the other way on narrow roads.
If you cannot get past reasonably, then you must wait until there is space. If cyclists are alongside each other, wait and give a quick toot on the horn.
More cyclists have died on Britain's roads in the past decade than soldiers have died in Iraq and Afghanistan.

On 21 Jun 2012 at 1:07pm Southover Queen wrote:
Ghostbike, I heartily agree! I'm often frankly amazed by drivers who will hang about inches from a cyclists rear end revving the engine and then screech past, only to be overtaken by the cyclist at the next junction. It would be funny if it weren't dangerous.

On 21 Jun 2012 at 1:17pm Brad Wiggins wrote:
The other day I was cycling to the station, waited at the traffic lights at the bottom of School Hill with a small white van right behind me. The lights changed and I went off. Dozy imbecile driving van was a bit slow off the mark, then proceeded to get very angry because he wasn't quick enough to overtake me before the bollard outside the bike shop. I go down Friars Walk then turn off into Pinwell Road. As always I cycle about a metre out from the parked cars in Friars Walk, and no-one can overtake me. It would be stupid for me to go close to the cars as I'd be in danger of getting 'doored', kids / cats running out etc - let alone hit by the passing vehicle. Said van driver pursued me, revving in first, about six inches off my back wheel and when I turned off, shouted that I was a Count, apparently.
Here's the thing: I'm not slow on a bike but I'll be charitable and suggest I was only doing about 12mph. The speed limit in Friars Walk is 20mph. By my reckoning I must have delayed the nice van driver by all of, oh, 6 seconds?
Sad little man. Such a shame that someone should let embarrassment about the size of their, er, equipment (if indeed he has one at all) turn into such anger.

On 21 Jun 2012 at 1:21pm GhostBike wrote:
Fairly typical behaviour, sadly.
I am regularly overtaken dangerously by drivers on the High Street, only to have to brake suddenly seconds later as they encounter a queue of cars. I then sail past. "Overtakey-Brakey" I call it.
I also cycle around London and, bizarrely, I find London drivers far more considerate towards cyclists than in Lewes.

On 21 Jun 2012 at 2:54pm Southover Queen wrote:
I hope you wave cheerily as you show them a clean pair of gluteus maximus...

On 21 Jun 2012 at 5:31pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I am normally considerate to cyclists, and wait until I can overtake widely without revving my engine. But it does try my patience when I then wait at traffic lights to see the cyclist jump the queue by riding on the pavement and then on through the red light. I then have to struggle to overtake him again!

On 21 Jun 2012 at 9:17pm prufrock wrote:
I can think of no provision at all for cyclists in Lewes (the white elephant cycleways out of town excepted). In this we are decades behind almost any other country in northern Europe in the UK but the Minister of State (our Norman) has refused to dedicate even a tiny part of the transport budget for the growing number of cyclists. Like Ghostbike and others I will continue to cycle in Lewes - but it is pretty depressing and scary sometimes. I also find it easier in London.

On 22 Jun 2012 at 11:51am GhostBike wrote:
"But it does try my patience when I then wait at traffic lights" - if you can see a red light overhead why are you bothering to overtake?
(I ask this because I regularly have cars overtaking dangerously when a red traffic light is literally yards away).

On 22 Jun 2012 at 5:39pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Ghostbike and Prufrock, are you comfortable with motor cyclists sharing bus lanes with you as they now can in parts of London?

On 22 Jun 2012 at 8:55pm SHS wrote:
How about a Monaco-style grand-prix in Lewes - for a cycle race? Close the main (or all) streets for the day and create a fast, twisting circuit for a grand race once a year! Lewes Wanderers, over to you.....

On 25 Jun 2012 at 11:33am Brad Wiggins wrote:
ACT - I cycle in London and I'd give it a partial thumbs up. I find that a few motorcyclists are quite handy in terms of clearing the kind of witless pedestrian who sets out across a road without looking and whilst wearing headphones. The only thing I'd say is there's a big difference between motorcyclists, who are mostly well-trained and sane, and scooter / moped riders who are generally idiots.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Castle from below 61:132
Lewes Castle from below

Polly as most of the responses don't seem to provide a complete answer to your question I can provide my experiences of the Lewes... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine