Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Cycle path

On 13 May 2016 at 5:06pm Mad pedestrians wrote:
My wife and I decided to go from a gentle cycle to Ringmer, and the number of crazy pedestrians sidestepping into our way was unbelievable.
We have wing mirrors and bells and keep a good eye out for pedestrians, but yet they all seems to stagger all over the paths. Amazing we didn't hit one (when will they learn not to walk on the cycle paths?)
On 13 May 2016 at 5:16pm Fred2016 wrote:
The cyclist has a duty of care to non-cyclists. I assume you have insurance cover....
On 13 May 2016 at 5:22pm Mad pedestrians wrote:
I have no duty of care if they leap in front of me as I'm bombing down the cycle path...
Don't they know they can't pull out if I'm overtaking them?
What the heck are they doing on a cycle path anyway!
On 13 May 2016 at 7:10pm Chap wrote:
What I love are the dog walkers who take their dogs onto a cycle path then shout at the cyclists when their dogs throw themselves in front of the bikes. If you can't control your dog around bikes don't walk it on a cycle path!
On 13 May 2016 at 7:17pm Convenient wrote:
@Mad pedestrian you decided to go for a "gentle cycle " then at some point you were "bombing down the cycle path " !! Perhaps people were confused by your changeable riding pattern ?
On 13 May 2016 at 7:30pm Border Control wrote:
@Mad Pedestrians trouble is cyclists think they own the road/cycle path/whatever, but they don't.
@Convienient You recently retired ? And found a lot of time on your hands ?
On 13 May 2016 at 7:40pm Fred2016 wrote:
MP - you have no sound or,logical arguments. Also, it is not a dedicated cycle track. The original project was for a shared space for anyone. So show some respect for other users.......
On 13 May 2016 at 11:02pm sceptic wrote:
mad pedestrians, You must be some sort of prat thinking that it is just a cycle path. There is a sign as you enter the path pointing out that is for pedestrians and cyclists. If you did not see that you either want to go to Spec Savers or keep off the Bl@@@y path.
On 14 May 2016 at 3:18am Parish councillor wrote:
The Ringmer-Lewes cycle path is designed and laid out for shared use of all types of sustainable transport, including bicycles, mobility scooters, joggers and pedestrians. Cyclists do not have priority on this or other similar off-road ESCC cycle paths. You are liable for civil compensation for any injuries caused by your actions as a cyclist and criminal prosecution for crimes up to manslaughter if you do not take reasonable care. You can insure against the former but not, of course, the latter.
On 14 May 2016 at 7:42am Fox2 wrote:
I walk with my children and dog on the cycle path as well as the downs. Sometimes we have bikes and scooters and sometimes its a quick walk before school. We try to stand to the side and let the bikes pass as I am aware that we share the path. Most cyclists have been very grateful,with one cyclist turning round to go up the hill to get lost shoe of child!! Most of them ring there bells or shout out. I however would like cyclists to go slow down mill road, a few near misses with children and animals not to mention car doors! Happy walking and Cycling.

On 14 May 2016 at 8:17am Mad pedestrians wrote:
Not my fault if pedestrians run in front of me, luckily I have a camera front and rear of the bike, here's an example of what I'm thinking about. Think once, think twice, think bike!

Watch the video »
On 14 May 2016 at 8:48am sceptic wrote:
Mad pedestrian, What the hell are you talking about. The point of my original post was to ask cyclists to warn pedestrians as they are about to overtake by ringing their bell if they have got one or to verbally shout out. Its not rocket science. I don't think anyone has mentioned pedestrians running out in front of bikes. Talk about drama queen.
On 14 May 2016 at 3:58pm stupid drivers wrote:
Car drivers dont indicate before they pass a bike. It warns the car behind them that cant see the cyclist yet. Basic good driving. Why dont they do it!!@
On 15 May 2016 at 5:50am O Vertaker wrote:
I don't understand that. You pull out to overtake a cyclist, the car behind can see your altered position in the road, and the cyclist. Unless you are on a bend, in which case you don't pull out. I know it's good practice to indicate, but why is it vital?

On 15 May 2016 at 8:16am Belladonna wrote:
It's vital because you are alerting other road users that you intend to change course and may have to slow down. Driving is not just about watching the car in front or bumper hugging - you have to be alert to everything around you. Sudden changes by other road users are hard to predict and signalling keeps everyone aware - not just the driver behind, but also oncoming traffic. Why have people stopped signalling on motorways when changing lanes ?
If you don't understand signalling then you shouldn't be driving.
On 15 May 2016 at 11:24am Bell a Donger wrote:
I need to text, not mess about with my stalk ( indicator stalk that is)
On 15 May 2016 at 11:53pm King Donger wrote:
I've got a giant bell if anyone could put it to good use.

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Baxters Print Works Lewes 8:132
Baxters Print Works Lewes

Thanks, Stevied. You’re right, They are the best fields and pretty secure, (save for the gate at the top.) She’s on heat at... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare