Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Criticising UKIP

On 21 Oct 2014 at 9:40pm Sword of Truth wrote:
Apparently they are racists (yawn), immigration at 500,000 per year is fantastically “diverse”, and they have no realistic programme ,(as if anyone else did.) Well I agree with a lot of what they say.
Being accused of racism has become a joke,£16b per year on foreign aid is obscene and Europe is indeed, remote, corrupt undemocratic and arrogant.These are all things to grumble about over a beer, but they do not have a serious effect on your life. Leaving the EU would.
60% of our trade is with the EU and outside it (or the EAA which has the same freedom of movement rules ) we would face an inward tariff. That tariff has reduced a lot since the 70s but it is still 4% and supplies are vastly more movable now . UKIP claim we could make up for the loss of jobs and exports by moving our business to India and so on. If it was your job how would you feel about that?
An estimated 3,000,000 jobs depend on trade with the EU. Now that is one of those silly figures because trade would not stop, but it would reduce and every job depends on another job. The ways in which new employment has been opened by pan European legislation on services and goods are countless.
Now look at where we are. UKIP are right to say we are in a desperate fiscal position .A £100b deficit cannot go on, politicians don`t want to say so but things are bad and getting worse. We have been saved by the continuing confidence of international markets in our ability to repay our colossal debt .Suppose that confidence was lost ? How do you feel about a 10% interest rate next year? This is all eminently possible
So however irritating you may find foreign laws, ooman rights, and the self satisfied Lefties, we have more to worry about. How much do you think you are going to care about a democratic deficit when you have lost your job and your house?
So I shall not be voting UKIP and I fail to see how any ordinary family man or woman could even think of taking such appalling risks whatever political views they might hold
On 21 Oct 2014 at 9:51pm 15% wrote:
How about that for an interest rate ? Been there , got the tee shirt - and I`m still voting UKIP . Sick to the back teeth with the major parties.
On 21 Oct 2014 at 9:54pm FFS wrote:
Other parties are available so why go with the bigots and racists?

On 22 Oct 2014 at 12:10am Ed Can Do wrote:
That is literally the most coherent thing Paul Newman has ever posted on here.
On 22 Oct 2014 at 1:10am Sensible Voter wrote:
I think this person believes that things like letting Ebola run riot by withdrawing foreign aid won't affect him/her. The virus would just stop when it got to the UK passport control.
On 22 Oct 2014 at 8:35am smeerkat wrote:
Definition of racist from OUP:
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.
It seems to me that too many people get branded as racist incorrectly.
On 22 Oct 2014 at 9:25am skiddog wrote:
Well said - Vote UKIP - exercise your democratic right to choose , and ignore the chattering classes
On 22 Oct 2014 at 9:59am Little Englander wrote:
Not sure I'd actually vote UKIP in a general election, for fearing of letting Red Ed and his bunch of loonie lefties back in by default (or leave room for them to get back in power in combination with Nickers Clogged and his Guardian reading hand-wringers).
UK plc simply cannot afford to return to the previous Labour practice of using the national debt to keep them in power (by increasing it year on year to award unsustainable pay rises in the public sector). An economy must live within its' means, just like a domestic household - relying on credit to support an increasingly unsustainable budget can never end well.
Like it or loath it, 'Call Me Dave''s party's policies on the economy may be far from perfect, but they have lead to the UK economy doing better than most of the other EU States' economies. UK growth is not as strong as we would like, and national debt is still larger than we would like, but its a small step in the right direction (or at worst, its a smaller step in the wrong direction?).
Hopefully Nige and his band of merrie men, and women, are making 'Call Me Dave' and 'Red Ed' and 'Nickers Clogged' understand that they really do need to listen to the electorate and actually start tackling things like immigration, EU dictats etc properly, rather than follow their usual party dogma. If none of the three usual parties understand why UKIP are riding a wave of popularity then they all deserve to see their hold on power slip.
UK must be allowed to manage more (if not all?) of it's own affairs rather than be forced to sit back and allow Brussels to decide whats bestfiscally for the Euro zone, of which UK is not a part.
If the other parties ignore the issues UKIP have focussed on then they deserve to lose power. If UKIP do win seats let's at hope they win sufficient to stop Labour winning an overall majority, and to stop a Lib/Lab pact holding power.
Sorry, not sure I actually want to see UKIP holding the balance of power Nigel, but thanks for rattling a few cages... ;-)
On 22 Oct 2014 at 10:43am Old Bloke wrote:
Quite a ridiculous notion that UKIP will only take votes from the Conservative Party.
The Mad Eds and the rest of their grotesque bunch should be just as worried as the slightly less useless Tories
On 22 Oct 2014 at 10:46am Nigel Garbage wrote:
I don't care what the definition of racism is. UKIP lumps groups of people together, labels them, and makes ridiculous and offensive comments about them. There will be a word for that . I'm not sure it says anywhere in the bible,' thou shalt withdrawn foreign aid funding and stop helping the starving, the needy and the oppressed' . Horrible immoral policy, and I am proud that all the main UK parties do not have this vile people hating policy but support aid at home and abroad.
On 22 Oct 2014 at 11:38am Mavis wrote:
yeah Mr Garbage let's send OUR money off to help India's space programme and fund notorious, corrupt governments who can't/won't run their countries properly and cut as much aid at home as we can, oh let's send billions to fund the European Parliament gravy train, and just to help out it will all be BORROWED money !!!
On 22 Oct 2014 at 12:23pm Sword of Truth wrote:
Mavis - I agree with you but don`t worry about world affairs worry about your brother in law`s job. We just have to swallow hard and take the best deal on the table. That means staying in and I am desperate that people understand that while UKIP make a lot of good points, on their central policy they are dangerously wrong.

On 22 Oct 2014 at 12:41pm Humbert wrote:
In the North you'll find UKIP taking a lot of votes from traditional Labour areas because they are better at representing the disaffected people that Labour used to stand for. The future of the country for a generation will be decided at the next election. The likelihood of a Tory/UKIP coalition is frighteningly real. The best hope the country has for the future is Labour not just stopping their drift to the right, but reclaiming the radical left in the way UKIP have claimed the radical right. Unfortunately for Labour it's too late now.
On 22 Oct 2014 at 1:06pm Carol Thatcher wrote:
@Mavis, Mum??!!
On 22 Oct 2014 at 1:19pm Voter wrote:
'In the North' like the recent by-election where Labour's share of the vote went up. The massive BNP vote completely disappeared...I wonder where it went....?

On 22 Oct 2014 at 1:24pm Realist wrote:
Mavis. You are genius. Has it ever occurred to you that foreign aid is a little more complicated than that? Life is complicated, which is why grown up parties have to offer unsatisfactory but realistic policies. I notice you haven't answered the question about UKIP's actual Surgery Opening Hours policy either. So, why not tell us which UKIP policies, other than ones about the EU and immigration, that you think are good ones? and how they will work.

On 22 Oct 2014 at 2:02pm Humbert wrote:
The Fabian society is warning Labour could very possibly lose "dozens" of seats with the rise of UKIP. Don't shoot the messenger...
On 22 Oct 2014 at 3:04pm Old Bloke wrote:
All those of you asking individuals to define UKIP policies - why don't you simply ask UKIP instead of your usual sneery replies at another's point of view or voting choice.
After all if we need to understand Labour, Tory or any of the other useless mobs masquerading as politicians that's what we have to do.
Personally I've no time for almost all of them - useless corrupt liars.
I'll be voting UKIP in the forlorn hope it might shake something up in this rapidly going downhill country.
Cue a mad rant from Not a Racist or similar which is quite ironic when they screech bigot but are the biggest bigots and thought Nazis of all
On 22 Oct 2014 at 3:36pm Mavis wrote:
CAROL.......Look after Mark for me ! Love Mummy xxxxx
On 22 Oct 2014 at 7:04pm Dennis wrote:
Carol dear , how are you and what`s that naughty bro. of yours up to .

On 22 Oct 2014 at 7:54pm Sussex Jim wrote:
UKIP are saying what a lot of people think about immigration and membership of the EU; but are not prepared to say so publicly themselves. But what are their other policies-say, on taxation or benefits or the economy?
They are like the Liberals some years ago, saying "vote for us,an alternative!" The other man's grass is always greener.
I hope people will be sensible come next May.
On 22 Oct 2014 at 11:05pm Frak wrote:
If their performance as MEP's are anything to go by, any ukip members will mainly sit at home not bothering to turn up or vote on anything whilst raking in all the expenses they can and aligning themselves with the most right of far right parties so that they can get more funding.
As for their policies - I really hope they never get a chance to actually put such half baked ideas into practice.

On 26 Oct 2014 at 7:53am Zzz.. wrote:
Gawd... fancy agreeing Tory boy Paul Newman ("let them sleep under newspapers and eat road kill").... that's a first.

Good to see you've got those full stop and spaces mostly under control Paul.

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes winged messenger 90:132
Lewes winged messenger

Hm, I could recommend you Chameleon decorators and windows restoration This company uses vacuum-sealed double glazing technology... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy