Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Councillor for Ringmer & Lewes Bridge needs help

On 31 May 2008 at 4:59pm The Webmaster wrote:
I have been contacted by Rosalyn St Pierre This is what she has to say. Can anyone help her.
I am the County Council member for Ringmer and Lewes Bridge which includes half of the town in my Division. Under a new scheme for Councillors I am instigating and Scrutiny Review into parking in East Sussex, using Lewes and Barcombe as templates for the schemes in town and villages.

I am asking questions around topics which include: the use of consultants in developing parking schemes; quantifying the benefits of the scheme in Lewes and its environs compared to success elsehere, e.g. Hastings; the enforcement culture in an town which has a significant tourist trade. I am anxious to know if anyone has verifiable data on trade, commerce and employment which has been effected by parking.

I can be contacted through County Hall or at cllr.rosalyn.stpierre@eastsussex.gov.uk

On 1 Jun 2008 at 9:27am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Cllr St Pierre would not have to ask for help if she were to communicate with and represent her constituents in the first instance.
During her term she has alienated herself from the public, being quite rude and evasive if a member of the public dare ask her for assistance.
As you can guess - she is not my cup of tea!

On 1 Jun 2008 at 11:43am Mark wrote:
Well said Spinster couldn't agree more.

On 1 Jun 2008 at 1:22pm Chav wrote:
I've never heard of her. Is she French?

On 1 Jun 2008 at 1:38pm Local wrote:
Looks to me like the desperate act of someone who is trying to appear in touch with her constituents. When are the elections due?

On 1 Jun 2008 at 1:54pm Gloria Mundi wrote:
I was at the meeting in County Hall where councillors approved the parking scheme a few years back. Cllr St Pierre, one of two ESCC councillors representing Lewes, warmly welcomed the scheme and read out a letter with an equally enthusiastic endorsement from Cllr Chartier, the other Lewes member who was not at the meeting. With the two Lewes LibDem members onside and with the approval of LibDem controlled Lewes District Council, it is not surprising that ESCC Tories voted through this nice little earner.

On 1 Jun 2008 at 3:21pm The Power and the Glory wrote:
Cllr St Pierre is not French; she just has a pretentious name.

On 1 Jun 2008 at 6:17pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
If Cllr St Claire wanted to know about trade and copmmerce, and knew anything at all about the town, she would know that the Cahmber of Commerce are the people to ask.
How very out of touch she is!

On 1 Jun 2008 at 6:54pm SHS wrote:
The Highway Code. Public Transport. One edge-of-town underground free car-park / free 'Park 'n Ride'. Simple.

On 1 Jun 2008 at 8:36pm s.oliver wrote:
Cllr St Pierre would know what residents knew about parking issues if her colleagues and herself spoke to them, listened, and took notice of what they are told. The Chamber of Commerce is a single interest group, and have a valid, but specific agenda. I can't say that i find the comments made on their behalf to be either consistent, factually based or admirable. A number of flaws in the scheme have been identified by residents, relating to the consultation, and flawed and misleading advice. Ms St Pierre shouyld not need to ask for figures, because ESCC will of course have been maintaining a fair and accurate record, since initial information gathering informed the decisions made about the scheme. Perhaps she now acknowledges how unreliable they are. My own street was not considered in any meaningful way,
I suggest that she raises the issue in the paper, and if she is lucky some of those people in the know might forgive her, and her fellow councillors for their years of ignoring residents, and help her out.
There are County Council elections next May.

On 3 Jun 2008 at 8:42am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Which edge of town though? Will the Nevillites have to drive to get to it?
I think they should knock down county hall and build a decent supermarket on the site. Then people at the western end of town would be able to shop locally without paying Bona Foodie prices. It would save a lot of cross-town traffic.
It might also regenerate the top of town a bit, and get some other useful shops up there. Richards, the greengrocer and the chemist are great, but it'd be nice to see some others.

On 3 Jun 2008 at 9:49am lopster wrote:
can the long-running forum petition not be put to good use here? do "we" need to word a statment to accompany it?

On 5 Jun 2008 at 3:01pm MC wrote:
Ha, she lives in Barcombe. I hope they are not going to use Barcombe as a template for villages. The new Barcombe parking regulations banned cars from parking in most of the hight street. The result has been that cars are now freeer to use the village as a short-cut and whizz through the centre of the village at a terrific speed thereby increasing traffic and the danger to pedestrians. Another result has been that these bloody uniformed parking attendants swoop into the village on their scooters and quickly issue villagers using the shop, village hall and dropping their kids of to school parking tickets before buggering back off to Lewes again.
Lewes imperialism I call it... and just another way of swelling NCP/The Council's coffers to finance their wasteful and inefficient beaurocracy.

On 5 Jun 2008 at 8:49pm sashka wrote:
Please don't call it Lewes imperailism. We think the scheme is as crap as you do. and anyway it wasn't bought in by Lewes, our Council opposes it, It was bought in by East Sussex

On 13 Jun 2008 at 8:16am Rosalyn St Pierre wrote:
Thank you everyone who contacted me through my Council email, it has been most helpful. Thank you to traders and of course the Chamber of Commerce (who I do have regular contact). I hope the County will now listen following the representations I have made on behalf of my Division. To others, my name is my married name, Sam's family came over with the Normans and have been in England since 1147. My maiden name was Palmer, so no french connection then!

On 15 Jun 2008 at 6:41pm Lord Flashheart wrote:
Hey Rossie baby, sounds like your hubby is very old. Fancy a change?
Woof woof!

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

River Wharfs Lewes 110:143
River Wharfs Lewes

And further ER hypocrisy in the Pells this week, with a two-car household demanding that ESCC stop funding climate change.
You... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like The Grange Gardens, and the way the teashop has the most odd mixture of china from the charity shops
Jojo