Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Council run Funeral ceremonies

On 12 May 2015 at 11:21pm Puzzled wrote:
Can someone explain why the county council feel it's necessary to use our taxes to provide Funeral ceremonies. There are already plenty of local Independent Celebrants providing this service. They also provide registrars for baby namings. This is most definetly not an essential service and in the age of cut backs why on earth are they doing it. They are snatching work away from local Celebrants. Whatever next? The council selling wedding dresses or even setting themselves up as greengrocers?

On 13 May 2015 at 12:12am Brussel Sprout wrote:
Lewes Council would be warmly welcomed if they set themselves up as a Greengrocers in Lewes since that trade is sorely missing at present. And why not provide Funeral Ceremonies? I don't think the Council intend on wasting anyones money only your money!
On 13 May 2015 at 12:30am Z@RO wrote:
Couldn't you think of anything better to gripe on about.. No mistaking a Tory Troll..
On 13 May 2015 at 6:13am Brussels Sprout + E.U HQ wrote:
Both the same
On 13 May 2015 at 6:47am Bereaved wrote:
Having recently been bereaved we wanted a non teligious celebrant and a local funeral directors passed on the number of the celebrant. We paid for the services. The money we paid does make money for them which is great and provided the service we needed which we were happy to pay for. I would be happy for our councils to provide extra charged services to make money and operate more like a business like wedding dresses and yes a greengrocers would be great - which we can choose to pay for !
On 13 May 2015 at 8:19am Historian wrote:
Great idea ! But remember when British Airways, Coal Mines, Railways, Telcom, Gas, Water,, Electricity, Grid, and Steel were run as nationalised business, all losing money. Now making money for shareholders. Doubt if the council could organise a party in Harvey's !!

On 13 May 2015 at 10:13am DL wrote:
Because the law requires them to do so (legacy of the pauper funeral type thing)
As set out in the Puiblic Health (Control of Disease Act) 1984. Some conservative legislation
"It shall be the duty of a local authority to cause to be buried or cremated the body of any person who has died or been found dead in their area, in any case where it appears to the authority that not suitable arrangements for the disposal of the body have been or are being made otherwise than by the authority."
Also set out elsewhere:
"I am an Assistant Coroner for a local coroner's office. In our county this actually happens on a daily basis. People die all the time without next of kin. As the coroner's office, we take jurisdiction over the death and remove the decedent to the county morgue. We do our due diligence to find any next of kin, if no one is found after 30 days, the county public administrator, county health department doctor, and the coroner, assume responsibility, signs the death certificate, and the decedent is cremated and forever kept in storage."
Sorry can't work out how to post a link to the full thing here.
Presumably the county council, often Tory run, has decided that privatising or contracting out this duty is not the most efficient way to meet their legal obligations.
Historian - just to suggest you check your history. I don't think coal mines are making any money for shareholders (RJB went bust years ago) and railways make money for shareholders as a result of the 4x higher level of subsidy the network now receives, in real terms, than when nationalised. Technically of course the 'railways' are state run given nationalised Network Rail, only the trains that operate on them are run by private franchisees.

On 17 May 2015 at 3:50pm Puzzled wrote:
Sorry DL, they have no Legal requirement to provide a Funeral CEREMONY. You have mis read my thread. There is no rhyme nor reason for the council to provide this service. Historically they never have, it's a new invention dating from around 2006. I am not a Tory voter, bless your little hearts I simply can't fathom out why we, local tax payers allowing the council to are spend money on something that is not needed. Local Independent Celebrants can provide a far better service. The council does not even pay their registrars properly, they are paid a paltry amount for the work they do.

On 18 May 2015 at 12:41am Spectre wrote:
Oh Deary me puzzled, Even though it seems that you've been fretting over this for months, even years.. You really haven't thought this through properly.. Sounds suspiciously like something George Osbourne would suggest to his minions to post on Forums like this one to spread discontent amongst the less fortunate. Your a sick & twisted individual.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Brian_the_Snail_Lewes 14:132
Brian_the_Snail_Lewes

One Parking Solutions back to their old tricks during Covid Lockdown period, dropping off an item for an elderly sheilding... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine