Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Conservatives in Lewes Constituency

5
5
On 4 Nov 2013 at 3:38pm Conservative voter wrote:
I am Conservative and live in the Lewes Constituency. I was wondering whether people think Conservatives have got a good chance to win in Lewes? As I really don't like Norman Baker, because I feel as a constituent he is not taking his job seriously if he has got enough time to start a music career.

Check it out here »
10
2
On 4 Nov 2013 at 4:51pm Pollster wrote:
Zero chance. I suspect you are THE Conservative who lives in Lewes.
3
6
On 4 Nov 2013 at 5:19pm UKIP supporter wrote:
Instead of backing that bemused jelly-baby David Cameron and his fake Conservative party, I think you will find that the main challenge to Baker will come from UKIP> Forget Lewes town, which - as this forum shows - is stuffed with well--heeled Greenie Lefties with mushed-up copies of the Guardian for brains, and look at the coastal towns (Newhaven and Seaford) and the villages. An analysis of voting in the constituency at last May's Council elections shows that the Left is split three ways (Lib Dems, Labour and Greens) and UKIP could well win. The Tories in the constituency - as in the country as a whole - are dead in the water, so don't waste your vote on Dave's nominee - doubtless some parachuted-in nonentity but vote for the only alternative to LibLabCon.
2
3
On 4 Nov 2013 at 5:21pm UKIP supporter wrote:
Instead of backing that bemused jelly-baby David Cameron and his fake Conservative party, I think you will find that the main challenge to Baker will come from UKIP> Forget Lewes town, which - as this forum shows - is stuffed with well--heeled Greenie Lefties with mushed-up copies of the Guardian for brains, and look at the coastal towns (Newhaven and Seaford) and the villages. An analysis of voting in the constituency at last May's Council elections shows that the Left is split three ways (Lib Dems, Labour and Greens) and UKIP could well win. The Tories in the constituency - as in the country as a whole - are dead in the water, so don't waste your vote on Dave's nominee - doubtless some parachuted-in nonentity but vote for the only alternative to LibLabCon.
5
4
On 4 Nov 2013 at 6:56pm Conservative Voter wrote:
Well if you don't want Baker the only other opition is Conservative, as the greens or Labour would never win the seat. Also I can't be the only Conservative in Lewes, as I alone could have not made sure that the District Council was Conservative. However thank you for the compliment.
Thank you for the offer UKIP supporter, but I would rather eat my own hat before voting UKIP. As UKIP are letting the Europhiles and Socialists win the next general election, by splitting the centre right vote. So UKIP in its aims in my opinion are self defeating, so why would I vote for them? The only make sure we keep this country on the right tracks is to vote Conservative and voting for UKIP would make sure the country falls of a cliff. So no thank you, I like my country and that's why I'm Conservative.
4
2
On 4 Nov 2013 at 8:59pm Deelite 2 wrote:
Lewes forum trolling at its best
6
 
On 4 Nov 2013 at 9:11pm Toby wrote:
You're probably not the only one, but there are very few conservative voters in Lewes itself. Most of the conservative votes for Lewes District council, and for Norman Baker's conservative opponent in the last general election, hail from the surrounding villages and countryside.
3
5
On 4 Nov 2013 at 9:16pm Zebedee wrote:
I like my country and thats why I have no choice but to vote Green.
2
4
On 4 Nov 2013 at 10:05pm Greed is bad. wrote:
Green is good.Greed is bad.
2
4
On 4 Nov 2013 at 10:48pm lewes resident wrote:
I am also a Conservative supporter. Lewes used to be a Conservative town and then all the champagne socialists moved down from London and it became a Lib Dem town.so no I don't think it will revert to Conservative. unfortunately.
4
4
On 4 Nov 2013 at 10:54pm Conservative Voter wrote:
Firstly would like say I am not trolling and I am expressing my opinion.
I would like to point out I said I was from the Lewes constituency not from Lewes itself, I am from Newick.
And out of curiosity why do people think there is not many Conservative voters in Lewes itself?
Vote Green is a vote for the 1970s, so no thank you.
2
 
On 5 Nov 2013 at 12:36am Not a conservative but.... wrote:
I'll try and keep my own politics out of this as you ask a reasonable question.
Lewes was considered safe for the Tories until the boundary changes following the 1992 election and the Labour landslide of 1997 and Norman being elected for the first time.
We were represented by the hilariously named Tufton Beamish and then his son ( believe it or not ) Sir Tufton Beamish for almost 50 years.
Tim Rathbone was the last Tory MP and was fairly well regarded.
Norman is no longer held in the esteem that he was, so his vote is vulnerable, but the question is who will benefit.
Many feel betrayed by the LibDems, but I sense no fondness for the Tories either.
My prediction?
A resurgence in the labour vote, but they will still place third. And a massive splinter vote for UKIP and the Greens with the possibility of an Independent candidate to really foul things up.
Result? Norman will squeeze through by default. The Tories will produce another numpty out of towner.
Labour and LibDems form a coalition and the most loathed man in Politics, Nick Clegg will still be picked up by his chauffeur every morning.
Well done Britain
1
 
On 5 Nov 2013 at 2:42am Europhile wrote:
Why would anybody but a Brit-hater support a party which does its level best to screw the environment and ensure the country's wealth is funnelled into offshore bank accounts for the benefit of non tax paying 'non-doms'.
4
1
On 5 Nov 2013 at 9:06am Merlin Milner wrote:
So if Norman Baker was a keen golfer, for example, would that be fine? However if he makes an album with some mates then that is bad thing? It is hardly a music career. Is he not allowed to have a hobby? Very poor reason for disliking him.
1
 
On 5 Nov 2013 at 11:25am Not a conservative voter but.... wrote:
I have no problem with Norman trying to be a uncharismatic Ray Davis wannabe. It's a hobby. It's cute. Umm.. It's not very good, but no matter.
But his recent policy wriggles have been most unedifying.
And as for that missing year, when he wrote the David Kelly book. Well...
Home office now, I see.
Is that the theory of a tent, p**sing and better out or in?
1
3
On 5 Nov 2013 at 6:59pm Conservative Voter wrote:
Thank you Not a Conservative voter but for your thoughts and opinion.
Well I would have to disagree as the Conservative party is the only party is for the enviroment and wants to protect it, that's why they are focusing on brown field sites for development.
Also there are people in every political party who have Non-Dom status, so cannot just blame the Conservatives.
Well Norman Baker has got has signed a record deal and to me that is more then hobby, as that would divert his attention from his constituency duties.
Also Norman is holding a somewhat contradictory view where he says he dislikes the Conservatives, buts support them to the hilt in government and is enjoying ministerial life a little bit too much for a person who is meant to be anti-establishment.
1
 
On 5 Nov 2013 at 11:52pm Clifford wrote:
'The Tories will produce another numpty out of towner.'

Who was their bloke last time? He really was amusing and spent some time on here trying to pretend he was serious. 'Jason Sugarman'. Crazy name, crazy guy, as they say.
1
 
On 6 Nov 2013 at 10:37am GhostBike wrote:
"Lewes used to be a Conservative town and then all the champagne socialists moved down from London and it became a Lib Dem town."
That's just absolute tosh. Lewes TOWN voted Labour for most of the 1960s and 1970s, judging by the council results. That was because it was quite a working class town with many people employed at the ironworks etc. It became LibDem because Labour started bringing in academics to stand in the seat and with the rise of the New Left Lewes locals went liberal. That's not to say there wasn't a conservative presence here which has diminshed, but the tory vote in the much wider
3
 
On 6 Nov 2013 at 2:06pm GhostBike wrote:
Sorry, don't know what happened there. Lewes is only about 10% of the Lewes constituency, Seaford is a bigger town and Polegate, Peacehaven and Newhaven are not far off in numbers. What happens in Lewes Town is fairly insignificant for the constituency, which went Lib Dem because ordinary people in Seaford, Polegate etc went off the Tories.
As for the idea that Lewes was a 'conservative town', look at these council results from 1973.
Lewes Bridge
Fuller W. LAB 695
Cross M. LAB 639
Holtom A. CON 393
Franks J. CON 390
Lewes Castle
Hayward A. LAB 1355
Reed D. LAB 1246
Jacobs J. LAB 1223
Tapp E. LAB 1217
Portman-Dixon E. CON 982
Russell J. CON 970
Foster J. CON 965
Fairlee J. CON 955
Lewes Priory
Temple B. CON 1287
Yarrow R. CON 1213
Greene D. CON 1108
Fitch N. LAB 940
Brent C. LAB 876
Potter R. LAB 842
2
1
On 6 Nov 2013 at 2:12pm GhostBike wrote:
And then by 1987:
Lewes Bridge
Bellotti D. Lib/SDP 1388
Tester C. Lib/SDP 1094
Blake T. Lib/SDP 1022
Howard E. LAB 643
Moore G. CON 454
Fenn R. LAB 401
Jones W. LAB 356
Sherwood A. GREEN 218
Denis J. GREEN 193
Lewes Castle
Mayhew G. IND 1030
Mayhew F. IND 882
Chartier M. Lib/SDP 733
Drabble D. SDP/Lib 602
Wildi G. SDP/Lib 551
Wheeler D. CON 520
Palmer I. IND 498
Corn T. LAB 428
Tullett R. LAB 426
Smith I. LAB 410
Taylor G. GREEN 216
lewes Priory
Harberson A. Lib/SDP 1206
Tufnell F. CON 1152
Williams K. Lib/SDP 1089
Sheen R. Lib/SDP 1047
Reaks G. CON 1020
Simmonds R. CON 1016
Boice S. LAB 491
Robertson R. GREEN 411
Ryle R. LAB 375
1
 
On 6 Nov 2013 at 7:24pm Deelite 2 wrote:
"the Conservative party is the only party is for the enviroment and wants to protect it".

You are insane. Have you seen how the tories are currently rolling back democracy in the name of fracking, how they've reduced the feed in tarrif, are talking of abolishing the subsidies for green power, how they tried to get the EU to allow the bee killing nicotinoids.... I could go on and on and on..... the greenest government ever.... don't make me laugh....... or cry......

The only party less green than the Tories are the hateful and brain-dead UKIP.
 
 
On 6 Nov 2013 at 9:33pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Ghostbike shows how Lewes town moved from Lab to LibDem in the early 1980s.
Back in the Hatton/Foot era (remember them), when the far left took over Lab, the Lewes Hattonistas de-selected several long-serving Lewes Lab councillors. The displaced Mayhews stood as Independents, and were re-elected. Labour has not figured since, even in 1997, as the LibDems consolidated their position.
However, Labour Lewes was even then a fairly recent phenomenon - helped by the 1960s influx of academics from the new Sussex University.
Lewes Constituency was of course regularly Tory, right back into the 19th century, and is still quite finely balanced. Lots of people have voted for Norman because he was evidently an active and genuinely helpful local MP, even though they don't agree with any of his actual policies. He has been helped by having a series of very weak Tories standing against him. His constituency is a mixture of solidly LibDem towns & villages (Lewes, Newhaven, Ringmer, Polegate) and true-blue areas (Newick, Ditchling, Alfriston). Seaford, the big town, swings around and holds the balance - and currently flirts with UKIP. Oddly in Lewes District Peacehaven, one of the poorest areas according to East Sussex in Figures, has never had much truck with LibDems and still votes largely Tory (though UKIP did well there too).
UKIP could well do very well in the Euro elections next May. If they do, and if they come up with a decent candidate (rather a bif if) they could stand a real chance in 2015. But Newick will still vote Tory!
 
 
On 6 Nov 2013 at 11:13pm GhostBike wrote:
Fair meadow, I might be wrong, but I thought the labour vote was actually strongest in landport back then, lewes having a much larger working class population, many working at the Phoenix etc.
1
1
On 7 Nov 2013 at 8:25pm Ed Can Do wrote:
"Well if you don't want Baker the only other opition is Conservative, as the greens or Labour would never win the seat"

This is the dumbest opinion one can hold about politics and the fact the LibDems use it in all their propaganda round here makes you wonder what kind of imbecile is running their campaigns. You know how democracy works right? Everyone votes for the party or person they want to win and whoever gets the most votes wins. This means that if, in a local election, more people decide they want to vote for the Green party candidate than the Tory or LibDem guy then the Green party will win.

Now if people are dumb, and sadly it seems a lot of people are, they look at the last couple of election results and they listen to idiots like Conservative Voter and they think that because the LibDems and Tories got a lot of votes last time there's no point voting for anyone else because "They won't win".

The whole point of voting is NOT to vote for the winner, it's to vote for who you WANT to win. It's a really American concept to think that not voting for the winning team means a wasted vote. It's doubly dumb because if lots of people vote for who they want to win and that person isn't a Tory or LibDem than that other person WILL WIN.

I'll never vote for the LibDems locally because they've proved about as useful as chocolate teapots in opposing the local Tories. The only active work a LibDem has done round here to reign in the Tories is Merlin doing a lot of work to stop the extension of the parking scheme into Malling for which he should be applauded and he'd almost be worth a vote if it wasn't for his party spewing out nonsense like "LABOUR CAN'T WIN HERE" and all their campaigning being negative. It's all about how bad the others are, not what they'll do for us and I can't abide that.

I'm also never going to vote Tory round here because lol, parking scheme and lol, James Page being helluva corrupt and nobody doing anything about it. Actual crooks in charge of things and none of his cronies say a thing, last thing we need is more of that kind of person running things.

The Greens kinda look appealing on paper but then you look at the mess they've made of Brighton and see that actually putting them in power is a disaster so that rules them out.

Sadly the Labour party believe the LibDem propaganda and give out council nominations in a prize draw apparently. All the people they've put forward recently have been wishy-washy and pointless.

UKIP are of course a comedy joke party that got out of hand. They'll appeal to people who don't understand international economics and racists. There are a few of those around here but not enough to matter in a "Proper" election.

Which basically leaves us with independents and luckily, we do have a few decent ones of those round here. It's a shame and slightly odd how people define themselves so vehemently along party lines. "I'm a conservative" would seem to me a silly way to approach voting, I'd go with "This candidate looks like they'll do the most to improve my way of life" every day of the week to be honest but then I like to think I'm not as dumb as the really angry political commenters who post on here.
 
 
On 7 Nov 2013 at 10:19pm Zzz.. wrote:
I don't think the Greens situation in Brighton is quite as simple as you have dismissed it... but wgaf
1
 
On 8 Nov 2013 at 12:21am Conservative Voter wrote:
Thank you Ed Can do for your opinions and thoughts. However it is a bit rude calling my opinion dumb.
Yes I know we live in a democracy. However I am being realistic and are you really saying that the Greens or the Labour Party has a chance in the Lewes Constituency. Its like saying the Conservatives have a chance in Sheffield i.e. Conservatives do not have a chance in hell.
Also we live in a First past the post(FPTP) democracy not a proportional representation democracy like Germany. So this means in a FPTP democracy it is usually a two horse race and more political parties dilute the main two parties influence, so we get more accountability. However this dilution means that majority people of do not get what they want, i.e. the last election majority of people wanted a Conservative government.
So would you say you want a whole house of commons with just independents then?
Your argument is inconsistent as your just doing a plague on political parties houses and not giving any viable alternative. Your just complaining for the sake of it like Russell Brand, without any solutions.
 
 
On 8 Nov 2013 at 2:36am No Fan of Tories wrote:
Well, there's a turnaround. Perhaps if the Tories hadn't been so mouth-foamily opposed to evil democracy, ie proportional representation, they might see power again.
And as for rudeness, I don't think there's been anybody quite so rude on this forum as failed tory candidate Paul Newton, who used to frequently post sneering ad-hominem attacks. That's the tory way, you better learn to put up with it
3
 
On 8 Nov 2013 at 5:23pm Nick Robinson wrote:
Well I'm a member of the Conservative party and I live in Lewes so I guess that makes at least two of us. I joined the party about 25 years ago mostly because I believe in a market economy. Still do. I think that while government has a duty of care and protection toward and for all sorts of people, it is just inherently inefficient and not very good at most things.
The left seem to me to have this great faith that government can do anything and can fix any problem. Well I just disagree.
The private sector regularly gets criticised for its excesses - often quite rightly. But the private sector provides us with every meal we eat. It made your phone and built your telly.
I certainly don't like large bloated corporates that look to government to provide them with bail-outs and regulations to protect them from small companies.
And personally I daydream about a day when everyone could at least start their own life with the same opportunities as everyone else.


9 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

The Ouse upstream 120:132
The Ouse upstream

Get a cat? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington