Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Congratulations Norman Baker!

On 7 May 2010 at 6:56am MC wrote:
Good old Norm. Yet again, a resounding vote of confidence in the Lewes Liberal Democratic MP. What has been a surprise is that there has been so little change. Even the Conservatives only achieved an entirely paltry 0.8% swing despite the advantage of Ashcroft's financial backing. Goodbye London lawyer Jason Sugarman. Let's hope it's the last we hear from you. Next time the Tories might learn and find an MP that actually lives locally and is willing to work full time for his constituency. And congratulations to Brighton Pavilion. A UK green MP at long last.

On 7 May 2010 at 8:33am Normans Baker wrote:
Yes well done Norman....
Also rooting for Gordon to join the Lib Dems and stay in power.....two fingers to the Tories..hehehehehe

On 7 May 2010 at 8:49am Labour In Vain wrote:
Huzzah for Norman!

On 7 May 2010 at 9:47am Feline wrote:
Yes, well done Norman and Caroline Lucas.

On 7 May 2010 at 9:53am Clifford wrote:
Yes, goodbye Mr Sugerman. I wonder where he'll turn up next?

On 7 May 2010 at 11:10am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
And a well done from me, too.
Shame the local trend wasn't a naotioonal one, but you can't have everything.
I'm amusing myself by picturing Cameron pondering what on earth he could put in a Queen's Speech that will get the support of the Lib Dems and/or nationalists and was also in the Tory manifesto. I think they've got such a hard job on their hands, I'd be inclined to resign and let Cameron have it, tbh. It's such a poisoned chalice, they'd probably only manage one term.

On 7 May 2010 at 11:46am therealalekid wrote:
As was posted above the Lib Dems have bucked the trend in Sussex. ALso the Greens have done well in Brighton. Other minority parties such as Respect have been squeezed in London due to a surge by Labour and they are lucky that has not happened to them.
Silly electorial system up 1% in the popular vote and lose seats, sadly the luck was not with them. Many targets such as oldham and Edinburgh missed by a 100 votes, lose seats in Cornwall by 60.

On 7 May 2010 at 5:04pm Rookie wrote:
Well done Norman.
As for the national picture I'm amazed that the Tories haven't got a clear majority. I thought it was dead cert, as did most Tories themselves. How on earth have they blown it? They must be gutted. Maybe people do have longer memories and DO remember the bad times pre 1997?

On 8 May 2010 at 9:03am MC wrote:
Yes, it is quite perplexing that the Tories did not get a majority when so many people are so angry and so disillusioned with Labour. It must sat a lot about what people think about the Conservative party and maybe in particular the too-young and inexperienced posh boys David Cameron and (the hugely unlikeable) George Osbournbe. Or maybe it's just that in the last 13 years they've just not been a credible opposition.

On 8 May 2010 at 2:08pm jrsussex wrote:
Rookie - You believe the Tory's have blown it, where does that come from? They won more seats than any other party, they received the largest amount of votes that the party have received for more than 50 years (higher than Mrs Thatcher) and to cap that they received the highest amount of votes of any party in this election. doesn't sound to me as if they blew it.
Whereas Nick Clegg actually, and clearly, stated that his party were disappointed with the end result having not only failed to achieve their pre-election forecasts but managed to lose five seats. Why not accept the FACT that the Tory's have won the election?
Are you sure you are watching the right election?

On 8 May 2010 at 3:06pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Hate to say this but I agree jrs, how we can have a situation where the Tories have won an election and it's still the beaten Prime Minister in charge trying to join up with third place who got as many votes as him.

On 8 May 2010 at 3:08pm Rookie wrote:
Are you sure you are reading the right post? Talk about missing the point. Of course the Tories "won" all ways up. My maths isn't that bad. But it isn't by anywhere near enough and that is an unmitigated disaster for them. The Tories were expecting a "landslide" victory a few months ago. That then got modified to a "comfortable victory" then down to a "close run thing". It ends up with a hung parliament. That is quite a way from the original landslide they were predicting. My point is how did the original landslide not materialise after the calamitous goings in the recent past overseen by Labour. Considering the nationwide hatred of Brown and his Government they should have been home and dry by 100 seats and they must be devastated that they are now having to barter for power. I say again, maybe enough people DO remember the Thatcher/Major years and the shambolic years of opposition. A victory for the Tories, but a tempered one.
Does anyone else think this was a "good election to lose"? Someone said the other day that whoever gets in power will be so unpopular in 5 years time that they will be unelectable for a generation.

On 8 May 2010 at 5:11pm Clifford wrote:
If Cameron can't talk Clegg into an alliance then he's going to have to do a lot of explaining to the Tory party about why they are in opposition for a fourth time since 1997. The Tories aren't squeamish when it comes to defenestrating unsuccessful leaders. I give him till Christmas.

On 8 May 2010 at 5:14pm MC wrote:
What, and Osbourne as the leader? That'd be great. Then they would be truly ugly and unelectable.

On 8 May 2010 at 5:15pm MC wrote:
As someone who hates the Tories it would worry me a lot if Kenneth Clark became their leader.

On 8 May 2010 at 5:29pm Clifford wrote:
I understand exactly what you mean about Clark MC. The Tories would be in office now had he become leader.

On 8 May 2010 at 6:04pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I can't really see what's in it for the LDs unless the Tories ditch loads of their policies tbh. The policy gulf is huge - Trident, Europe, tuition fees, taxation, PR - there's loads of big stuff where they're poles apart. Apart from ID cards and the pupil premium idea, I can think of anything sigfnificant they agree on, save hating Gordon Brown.
If the LDs sell themselves short, I'm never bloody voting for them again, even tactically, and I know a lot of people who feel the same. I think a minority government is much better for both opposition parties, who will have them effectively emasculated in parliament and then have a vote of no confidence as soon as they try and do anything too Tory-ish. There'd be much more chance of the Tories losing an election after that.
I wonder if the Tories will let them have Vince Cable as chancellor, and sell Osborne down the river?

On 8 May 2010 at 7:04pm MC wrote:
I believe so strongly that the first-past-the-post system is rotten, ensuring that we never get anything sorted out and condemning to the UK to never ending cycles changing stuff and then changing it back again that I think Clegg should side with any party that will make a firm and public undertaking to have a referendum over PR within three months and set a date. After that, we can have another election.

On 9 May 2010 at 1:32pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Absolutely right MC.
I believe all three leaders are now damned. Clegg could split the Lib Dems over an alliance with Tories, Brown just has to go with Milliband replacing, and Cameron will be ousted within a year by the right wing of the Tory party as another election looms.
Hopefully we will get PR out of all this, if nothing else. The economy is going to go down hill veryvery fast. Whatever Cameron believes, the Tories are no longer the 'natural' party of business and Brown was exceedingly well respected amongst interenational economists and rightly praised for his handling of the credit crisis. WE should all be really worried about what happens in the next few weeks. It seems to me the only thing that could protect us from going the way of Greece is the fact we are not in the euro, but expect some serious protests anyway - people are very very angry, still.

On 10 May 2010 at 2:12pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Simon Hoggart, in today's Guardian, makes a very amusing comparison of our "constitutional crisis" compared with those that have occurred in other countries. It's worth the price of the paper on its own.
I'm starting to feel about it like the Americans do about test cricket - it's gone on for days and there's STILL no winner.

On 11 May 2010 at 6:53pm oilbarron wrote:
No need to worry folks. PR or watever
British economy totally in tact. Massive oil find in Falklands. Bigger than
North sea. UK tax revenue from oil starting soon.
I will get off this thread.

On 11 May 2010 at 10:45pm love wrote:
did u not hear libs are now conservatives you bunch off suckers libdems are apart off the toffs now now theres rich or poor / back to the old days /like thacher

On 12 May 2010 at 3:01am Brixtonbelle wrote:
I sort of understand what you are saying, LOVE, but can you try some punctuation next time for us old farts who were taught old English ?

On 12 May 2010 at 2:23pm LOVE wrote:
sorry brixtonbelle mate

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Chapel Hill Lewes 20:132
Chapel Hill Lewes

priti patel doesn't come across as at all intelligent, thoughtful or compotent tho more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa