Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Cliffe is buzzing

On 16 Oct 2004 at 6:19pm The Webmaster wrote:
Well, I have to say I've had a really nice day round Cliffe today, the place was buzzing. It is so much better without the cars, the shoppers seem more relaxed and I'd be very surprised if takings are not a lot higher than usual.
Bill's has been rammed all day, which isn't that good, I wanted some lunch Still as soon as they manage to do the pavements along Cliffe High St it will be an even better place to while away a few hours.
I have been very sceptical about the parking scheme but am very pleased to say I think I might have misjudged the impact on Cliffe as a shopping area.
I'm still unsure about many aspects of the parking scheme, like the same rules applying on Saturday as they do on weekdays which for residents are very different kettles of fish, and also I think the zoning could be relaxed a bit on Saturdays to allow, for instance residents on one side of the river to park on the other.
Two way cycling along Cliffe High St would be a good idea too, most people do it anyway and when I was apprehended for it once I'm sure the officers heart wasn't in it.
Anyway, all in all I'm feeling pretty good about it today but there's still a lot to be done.

On 16 Oct 2004 at 7:09pm Smiler wrote:
I managed to get a table in Bill's today and yeah you're right it was pretty lively out there.
As for the parking scheme, I'm reserving judgement for the moment but I still think the high street looks an absolute mess.

On 17 Oct 2004 at 11:59am More Tea Vicar? wrote:
On 16/10/04 The Webmaster wrote:
Bill's has been rammed all day, which isn't that good,
Would that be those very nice people who pose and sip tea while sitting in the road, being rammed by the cars??... which isn't that good I guess.... or is it? ?? ???
LOL
PhilX

On 18 Oct 2004 at 12:55pm You cant be serious wrote:
I think turning Cliffe into a pedestrian only zone is a dreadful idea. Cliffe?s charm is because of it?s hustle and bustle. If you want a town with no cars, no character and no independent traders move to Crawley. Parking problems will always be inherent to Lewes, unless a big multi-story car park is built somewhere. Cliffe High Street is lovely because of it?s residential/commercial mix which gives it a thriving buzz.
As for how Bills is expanding, who does he think he is taking over half the High Street and sticking barrels and plants everywhere!? He might soon be sued if one of his customers topples off one of those newly placed chairs and falls into the road as a car is coming (assuming they live to sue him).
Lewes should be left well alone by all the wishy washy liberal do-gooders. Old historic towns can?t be all things to all people, especially with regards access to all (eg cyclists and the disabled ? not that I have anything personally against either group). Have a look at the pictures of Cliffe High Street in the Gardeners Arms, that?s how the High Street should be. It?s ironic, but such pictures may be viewed as the hay-day of the Cliffe.

On 18 Oct 2004 at 2:01pm More Tea Vicar? wrote:
Lots of the Olde Lewes Photos were on sale at the photo shoppe under the olde towne clocke at Xmas. Great nostalgic pics... I bought several.
While most residents beg permission from LDC planning to paint their Olde Worlde front doors, Bills with apparent immunity makes the Cliffe look crap .
The cheap tables artistically framed by the piles of cruddy boxes adorning front of the shop all spill into the road where they compete for space.
They should all have a parking ticket on... as should the posers that sit at the tables.
How does he get away with it?
Could it be that "Bills" has connections in High places?
Could he be the illegitamate son of Storm Drain Norman? or the love child of a councillor?
These questions need to be answered.
We have a right to know...
PhilX

On 18 Oct 2004 at 2:07pm janet Street Preacher wrote:
Well I don't agree with that at all, Bills add a lot of life to Cliffe and I think the barrels are a lot better than nothing, at least they provide a level of protection from cars that do still come down here.
It will be a lot better when the council does the pavements mind.

On 18 Oct 2004 at 2:24pm More Tea Vicar? wrote:
Dear JSP,
I hope I didn't cause any offence by my previous post.
Please understand, I was just relaying my observations formed after trying to do a tricky RH turn via tables, chairs, prams, push chairs, whinging kids, and empty cups... on route to the Argos collection parking point.
Worse still, the posing bustards who are sitting in the road (that very same road that I pay Road Tax to be able to drive on) have the nerve to glare at me.
That notwithstanding,
Futuristically and in the name of civility, I will do my very best not to be too critical of your son...
lol
PhilX

On 18 Oct 2004 at 2:34pm Janet Street Preacher wrote:
He's not my son, he's my greengrocer!

On 18 Oct 2004 at 3:02pm More Tea Vicar? wrote:
Yeah...
But as a doting mother you would say that!
lol
PhilX

On 18 Oct 2004 at 3:21pm You cant be serious wrote:
Bills is a good asset to the town, but he does not have some elevated position over the other traders in Cliffe and the white lines were not painted there to designate an extra seating area for him. As for the barrels, I hope he leave them out for Bonfire, boy will they blow up nicely!

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Weeds for sale 130:132
Weeds for sale

Yes I do. Lady in her early 70's from Nunhead has heart problem ( thankfully slight) and is diabetic. Was in hospital on oxygen... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG