Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Clearing snow from pavements/public areas

 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 9:29am Cllr Ashley Price wrote:
Some good Samaritans were out yesterday helping to clear snow from the pavements etc., while others are afraid to in case someone slips and injuries themselves.
However, the advice on the Directgov website states that: "people walking on snow and ice have a responsibility to be careful themselves".
So, if you want to be out clearing the snow, follow the advice on the Directgov website. See more:

Check it out here »
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 10:56am Mercian wrote:
Why does East Sussex council grit roads but not pavements?
ARe cars more important than people?
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 11:05am Cllr Ashley Price wrote:
I would assume it's down to pedestrians slipping on icy pavements will not cause as much damage or have as potentially fatal problems as a vehicle sliding on an icy road.
For example, a car skids on ice and ploughs into a queue of people waiting for a bus. Or there are times where there are multiple pile-ups due to several vehicles skidding into each other.
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 11:22am Southover Queen wrote:
I think it's probably just as much down to the fact that to grit a road you just have to send a vehicle down it dropping the mixture at the back. To grit a pavement you need a couple of people on foot with a trolley full. One equals one man hour plus vehicle to grit most of the main road, vs several man hours to grit the pavements.

It does mean that Lewes is a giant death trap, and certainly on the minor roads it means that all the pedestrians walk down the middle in the cleared vehicle tracks.
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 11:29am Cllr Ashley Price wrote:
If there is a particularly bad area you can of course apply for a grit bin, however, the costs of siting one of these will need to be met by someone (a group of residents, for example) as will refilling the bin.
See more at the following ESCC website:

Check it out here »
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 11:32am Cliffite wrote:
When the gritters go past and I'm walking on the pavement I always get gritted too so some of it makes it onto pavements.
Biggup to whoever cleared the road up Chapel Hill yesterday, made my trek up to The Downs less strenuous
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 12:33pm Taff04 wrote:
Lot of us up in the Nevill cleared our paths and sections of the road too !! And as one answer to Mercian's queston, roads get gritted first so that ambulances can get to the areas where people have slipped on pavements !! Seriously, keep safe out there folks.
1
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 12:45pm Bazooka Joe wrote:
I never cease to be amazed at the number of stupid and selfish people who do not clear the snow off their cars before driving.
If the snow does not slide off onto the road (causing a hazard), it invariably slides down over their windscreens when they brake (another hazard).
The gritting vehicles do a great job and the spread includes pavements in the town centre (as long as no obstacle in the way). I dare say if they were to grit pavements across the county, there would be many people whinging about the grass verges dying as a result.
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 12:56pm Castle Gate wrote:
Many thanks to the people who gritted and cleaned the paths to The Paddock and Baxter's Field.
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 2:31pm bastian wrote:
I do clear a path but I leave snow around it to give people a choice..if they choose to walk on the clear bit and slip up I can always claim that it was their choice as I did leave them some snow to walk on if they preferred it.
So sad we live in a time where money can be made out of people who believe in community.
 
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 3:27pm Mercian wrote:
I do find it remarkable that pavement gritting does not occur in Lewes. I have lived all over the country, both in big cities and in small towns - including two of not dissimilar size to Lewes, Warwick and Ledbury - and they have all gritted pavements during snow.
On the Warwick DC website:
"Footways and cyclewaysFootways and cycleways subject to the highest usage will be gritted during daylight hours (subject to the availability of resources), during periods of persistent wide spread ice (rather than frost) for more than 18 hours in a 24 hour period and temperatures not forecast to rise above zero for 18 hours."
Not gritting pavements is very much the exception. Why is Lewes (and I must assume) the rest of the country so behind on this, despite being one of the hilliest towns in the country?
Is it related to why we are so behind on recycling collections?

4
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 6:53pm snowman wrote:
In countries where it snows more than once a year people are legally required to clear their own paths, usually several times a week - stop expecting the ESCC to do everything for you
2
 
On 6 Feb 2012 at 8:26pm Miscell Any wrote:
Snowman is right! So: count ourself lucky you don't live on the Continent, and that you only have to deal with snow for a couple of days a year!
 
 
On 7 Feb 2012 at 6:53am Mercian wrote:
That may be true in suburban areas, but in Copenhagen and Stockholm the pavements and cycle paths are gritted all winter long by the local authorities
Snowman - does your argument extend to car users too? Why should car users have their a**ses wiped by the nanny state (ESCC) but not pedestrians?
I do tend to think their core services should include keeping the highways safe for ALL road users, including those without cars, like many other councils around the UK.
 
 
On 7 Feb 2012 at 11:53am Mercian wrote:
"In countries where it snows more than once a year people are legally required to clear their own paths, usually several times a week"
What about places like Nevill Road, where there are no properties fronting the road? Whose responsiblity would they be?
 
 
On 7 Feb 2012 at 2:18pm Mary wrote:
Nice neighbour cleared the top half of St John Street on the morning of the snow. I offered him a cup of tea. He said no thanks. That's it.
 
 
On 7 Feb 2012 at 6:48pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd be quite happy to clear the pavement outside my house and if it was made compulsory would enjoy seeing my bone idle bludger of neighbour do it too. I think it's nice to do the steps and pavements of older neighbours who mihgt not be up to doign their own, too.
There are plenty of bits where there are no properties though. Someone needs to take responsiblilty for them, and I think it should be the council.


20 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

heading for extinction 43:132
heading for extinction

Hi. Has anyone been camping at Blackberry wood? I've booked with a small group for next month but am reading conflicting info on... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde