Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Cleaning up Ham Lane

On 19 Mar 2009 at 1:15am THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
I was walking along Ham Lane the other day and must say that it's a very sad sight of what I saw dumped into the ditch running along behind the college. Bed head boards, stereos, countless plastic bottles and drink cans, refuse sacks full of god knows, white goods.. the list is endless. Just because it's a ditch doesn't mean use it to ditch your stuff when the recycling centre is closed. There are some pretty plants trying to grow and animals trying to bring up their young amongst all the rubbish. It looks like no one has cleaned it up for years so who's interested in volunteering and what business will sponsor for disposing of the rubbish? Will the council provide us with a small dust car? One weekend afternoon, Easter term approaching gives lots of opportunity. By the state of it it probably will be two days work solid. Individuals, Friends of Lewes, Sport Clubs using the pitch behind college. I'm waiting to hear from you.

On 19 Mar 2009 at 8:28am Interested 2 wrote:
Isn't the dump down that way? Why is there so much rubbish in the ditches,and why can't folk go a bit further and take it to the dump?

On 19 Mar 2009 at 8:34am dealer boy wrote:
the biggest pile of rubbish is next to the dump, razor wire, flash motors, now what could they be up to in there, too much bling give em a ring, laugh now,

On 19 Mar 2009 at 9:50am Lord Landport wrote:
The business down Ham Lane are legit I believe they do septic tanks its a mass of portacabins used as Office Space the Razor Wire is to keep the Thieving little oinks out. dont think crime stoppers are going to be intersted in them making a good living out of someoneelses poo but at least they drive nice cars for there trouble.
People dump in the river and streams because when the tip is closed they can't be bothered to wait til the next day they just wait until everyones gone home and dump.
Also a lot of the bottles rubish etc is from the lorries leaving the site and not being covered so bottles etc blow off into this stream.
I wish I had time to help but I dont but wish you luck in your quest.
sounds simple cant the council just let any clearup group just drive the rubish back to the tip 200 yards ish.
Dont the site owners veola have a duty to clear this up ?

On 19 Mar 2009 at 10:12pm Angry of Lewes (Retd) wrote:
site owners ship everything to Germany for sorting ('cos they haven't got a clue about the difference between wood - cardboard - glass and hardcore down there) so they will probably bring a team of highly skilled German waste-sorters to do it at vast expense on our council tax

On 20 Mar 2009 at 9:34am Wilhelm wrote:
There are two sides to it AOL Retarded: One is that Teutonic incinerators simply cannot vork and power up enough on the clean recycled teutonic rubbish they are feed hence ve import yours and its burnt as it is. Now, if you have ever wondered why Teutonians have bought trainloads months worth of stinking Napolitanian rubbish last year here's your answer! And there's a second side: UK recycled rubbish such as paper is sold. There's a very lucrative amount per ton of paper changing hands. That's your paper but you never see any of the profit. No, you pay Council Tax for its collection and sorting and somone makes a good living. We should ask yourself why this money is not used to reduce Council Tax? A: Because they ripp you off. And why are councils are so keen to impose fines if you don't recycle? B: Because their profits would be smaller and in addition the fines are a great source of income. Here's an example from mid September 2008. Note that in the meanwhile you would be off even better: If you had purchased £1000 of Northern Rock shares one year ago it would now be worth 4.95 with HBOS, earlier this week your 1000 would have been worth 16.50. 1000 invested in XL Leisure would now be worth nothing, BUT if you bought 1000 worth of Tenants Lager one year ago, drank it all, then took the empty cans to an aluminium re-cycling plant, you would get 214. So based on the above statistics the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and re-cycle (but sell it yourself!)

On 20 Mar 2009 at 11:59am sashimi wrote:
Wilhelm, ach mein Gott! You should be in charge of ze ekonomie. Ve vould all be zo much better off and richer.

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Elly Angel 114:132
The Elly Angel

In the week before lockdown, central government gave local councils several million pounds to enable councils to put all homeless... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde