Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Change is Bad

On 19 Oct 2015 at 8:51am Miserable wrote:
I have noticed that great artists, Jackie Wilson, Messrs Wonder Ritchie and Joel, for example, all made inexcusably awful records that were their biggest hits:
I Just Called to say I loved You
Up Town Girl
Hallo
Reet Petite
Shudder ……
Doesn't this show that democracy doesn't work, well at least a sort of dumb populism is a bad thing. In the 19th century boring old Britain had an evolving democracy leading to full suffrage only by the time of the Khaki election. Meanwhile, “radical” France had Plebiscites every time the latest Fascist with military backing wanted some claim to legitimacy. I know which I prefer.
All of this makes me fear for the EU referendum where there are various “Populist” reasons for leaving and a great many more sensible boring reasons for doing no such thing.
In general the age of deference is now gone and now every big mouthed idiots “reckon” is wittered and twittered as if it were sacred testimony. Ugh.
All of which goes to prove, as if we need any proof, that everything is getting worse.

On 19 Oct 2015 at 11:06am Carlyle wrote:
Welcome to the reaction.
Democracy demands virtue and ability to function. Sadly,our population now increasingly lacks both.

On 19 Oct 2015 at 12:15pm Bug wrote:
The other day I was tinkering around in my garage and I decided to build a new ideology.

On 19 Oct 2015 at 1:22pm Mark wrote:
Difficult to ascertain what you're suggesting. Probably a fascist dictatorship headed up by yourself. I'm quite certain that I would be a much better absolute ruler of these Isles. I do agree entirely about the music thing. Dire Straits are mostly remembered for "Money for Nothing" and "Twisting by the Pool". It's a travesty and a tragedy.

On 19 Oct 2015 at 2:36pm Slug wrote:
In the public realm it is "problematic" to question the efficacious ness of widening the franchise. In private the effects are all around us.

On 19 Oct 2015 at 6:38pm Belladonna wrote:
Slug - the word you are looking for is efficacy
On 19 Oct 2015 at 7:37pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Yes, Miserable: the lyrics of some of the songs over the last fifty or sixty years may have been excrutiatingly awful.
But they are nostalgic. They are what we grew up with. They define our first date, our first real kiss, our teenage agonies and beyond. Today I have driven home from work listening to the Eagles, and Smokie. Tomorrow, it may be Mark Wynter or Helen Shapiro. Take it easy- and walk back to happiness.

On 19 Oct 2015 at 8:54pm I am the eggman wrote:
goo goo ga joob
On 19 Oct 2015 at 10:24pm Slug wrote:
It was a homage to Lilly the Pink.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Swans in the pool 91:143
Lewes Swans in the pool

What happened to my post made last night? Is there a curfew from 11 pm? What are the rules with this forum? Just tell me and... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo