Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Careful: Mud on road

On 28 Oct 2012 at 9:53pm Extra wrote:
There's a substantial amount of mud on the road on the A275 from outside Hamsey School, Cooksbridge, to beyond the Rainbow, towards Chailey.
Tractors were still working at 9.30pm and it's raining hard, it could be lethal.
I've reported it. PLEASE TAKE CARE.

On 28 Oct 2012 at 11:40pm Bloke 2 wrote:
I nearly spun out whilst driving at around 40mph near the Rainbow pub. It looked like a tractor pulling a bowser was driving up and down the stretch of road from near the Rainbow to South Chailey whilst emptying water, or muddy water??? onto the road. Lethal! It's as bad as black ice in places. Plus my car is absolutely filthy

On 29 Oct 2012 at 9:32am vipalb wrote:
Came past there Saturday evening at 8pm and the road was completely covered in mud. Lots of tractors and trailers on the road. Obviously just as bad on Sunday. Not quite sure what's going on but be very careful if your driving past there in daylight as well as darkness.

On 29 Oct 2012 at 10:37am Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
Can't wait to see them. Do you think they still do Tiger Feet?

On 29 Oct 2012 at 12:45pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I saw this on Friday. too. A motor cyclist ahead of me nearly came to grief on it, although he had slowed down a lot.
I wonder what's going on to make that much mud? The only building work I can think of is the at the Pumphouse site at Cooksbridge.

On 29 Oct 2012 at 3:11pm Extra wrote:
It's not building work, it's farmers moving material from/to fields via the A275 in
wet weather, the mud comes off the tractor/trailer wheels and is deposited on the road. I't also bad at Sharpsbridge.

On 29 Oct 2012 at 3:37pm Peter Pan wrote:
It's called country life best stay in town ' if you dont know how to cope with it

On 29 Oct 2012 at 3:42pm Southover Queen wrote:
Always so helpful, eh Peter Pan? You wouldn't be quite so sneery if someone you cared about ended up under the wheels of an oncoming lorry.

If it's so bad that a motorcyclist nearly came off, perhaps there should be a warning triangle on the road(s)? Is it worth letting the police/county council know?

On 29 Oct 2012 at 3:43pm uckers barry wrote:
ive been over to have a look its maize theyve cut for winter food for the dairy cows its very bad around hamsey too

On 29 Oct 2012 at 5:19pm Peter Pan wrote:
S Q All I was saying is that this is part and parcel of living in a farming community at this time of year , fields are being ploughed fodder is being brought off the fields also manure is being spread, and so there will be mud and droped fodder all over the roads , and as the tempatures get lower ice as well ,and this is not new it's like it every year ,and no we dont like it , but you just have to learn to live with it Spare a thought for the poor guys that are out there up to ther axels in muck and bullets getting frezzing cold and soaking wet and still working in the dark on a sunday ,but cattle and people have to be fed ,they are trying to wash the road down as they work with a water bowser ,What they dont need is the old Bill giving them a hard time as well

On 29 Oct 2012 at 5:45pm Southover Queen wrote:
I'm not suggesting that anyone should complain to the police about their work, and I don't think anyone else was either. What is clearly needed though is a sign warning drivers that the road is in a dangerous state so that they can drive/ride accordingly. Then if some biker does skid off the road and gets hurt it won't be the fault of the guys working in the fields, will it?

On 29 Oct 2012 at 8:36pm banger wrote:
peter pan,you knob, I work on a local building site, if any lorry leaves our site we have to make sure all the wheels are clean. Mr carrot cruncher doesnt give a s@@t, just drives away muck-spreading as he goes, go on then, name 1 farmer who cleans up after him self, thought not! Bet you come from barcombe, high web 6 to you!

On 29 Oct 2012 at 9:01pm uckers barry wrote:
just been back over cooksbridge there are signs all over the place saying mud on the roads but you should not need a sign to tell you

On 29 Oct 2012 at 11:32pm Bloke 2 wrote:
LOL @ Banger!

On 30 Oct 2012 at 11:28am Extra wrote:
The final word:
Farmers like builders have a responsibility not to deposit mud on the road, and is an offence under The Highways Act. When fields are too wet, Farmers used to busy themselves with housekeeping, such as hedging and ditching. With the onset of contract farmimg, contractors move in, generally from outside the area, blitz whatever and move on to the next farm.
For more information check out the NFU advice on their website.
Cheers.

On 30 Oct 2012 at 5:39pm uckers barry wrote:
all the muds gone so no need to worry

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Bonfire Pope and Cardinals 60:143
Lewes Bonfire Pope and Cardinals

Yes, at the time Maria Caulfield wrote me a long email telling me what a wonderful job Network Rail were doing and how we would... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle