Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bye Sky - FreeSat, FreeView?

On 6 Dec 2011 at 11:13pm Janet Street preacher wrote:
Well its seems Sky may have finally sussed they haven't been billing me for my basic channels and cut me off.
All I get on my telly now is a message saying 'No satellite signal received call customer services'

So maybe its time to go legit and move to FreeSat (or FreeView), has anyone any experience of either of them at the bottom end of town?

On 6 Dec 2011 at 11:22pm Rookie wrote:
You probably won't get Freeview at the bottom of the town until they upgrade the local transmitter next summer. Only places that have an unhindered signal from Heathfield can currently get it, such as up on Nevill and over Malling. Freesat is ok anywhere. A mate of mine has it and is well pleased with it.

On 6 Dec 2011 at 11:38pm Janet Street Preacher wrote:
Do you know who installed it for him?

On 7 Dec 2011 at 3:16am Farm boy wrote:
Do it yourself bro. Get a Humax box (£100) and plug it in. Bob's your Uncle. IPlayer and ITVPlayer in HD are great even on our 40" TV Might need a Homeplug (£40). Don't get a Pasonic box. Humax only.

On 7 Dec 2011 at 7:26am observer wrote:
I agree Farm boy, I purchased a Humax 10 months ago plugged it in followed instructions and Hey Presto! it works a treat. Go for the HD one. I live up by the Mallings and no probs.

On 7 Dec 2011 at 8:33am Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
We got Freesat - Freeview wouldn't work down here. We couldn't install it ourselves - someone had to put up the satellite dish in the best place, run cabling round and through a hole in the wall. I'm not handy enough to do that myself. We bought the sat box from the internet and he connected the cabling up. He was a chap I got via the Newhaven telly people, if you want their number I'll have a look for it.

On 7 Dec 2011 at 9:40am Malling dewller wrote:
Go for freesat, you say you had sky so the dish is yours and already installed. Buy a Humax Hd hardrive box and you will enjoy all the benefits of great picture, ease of use and being in control of what you watch and when you watch it. We record all the programs that we want to see, and then we always have something to view when we are ready for a sit down.
You will not regret it

On 7 Dec 2011 at 10:38am someone else wrote:
Anyone one know how Freesat works with more than one TV? Do you need a box next to every telly?

Also, my understanding is that Conservation Area Consent is required for a dish in a Conservation Area - which applies to pretty much the whole of the town centre. What's the deal with this? Are people just ignoring it and getting away with it?

On 7 Dec 2011 at 11:45am Disgruntled wrote:
Our dish was spotted by the council and we had to pay £150 to apply to keep it. They're after every penny these days, although you should get permission unless it's in a very ugly position. Only applies if it has to be on the front of the house, or on the roof or chimney, or visible from the highway.

On 7 Dec 2011 at 11:55am Cliffite wrote:
I have FreeSatHD box from Humax - only got one feed on the LSB so not sure if can do recording, mutiple boxes etc but the HD works just fine. 5 5 new channels added yesterday but well, it's Channel 5 so you know what to expect; rubbish

On 7 Dec 2011 at 12:04pm supporter wrote:
have a look here

Check it out here »

On 7 Dec 2011 at 1:07pm Tango wrote:
The CatchUpTV website has all the freeview stuff on it and it's pretty simple to link your computer to your TV these days. Just a thought if you have broadband.

On 7 Dec 2011 at 2:34pm Janet Street Preacher wrote:
That's fantastic thanks for all your help
I'm off to buy a Humax HD box, never did like Sky much

On 8 Dec 2011 at 10:16am Southover Queen wrote:
You won't regret it, Janet.

Someone else: I recently renovated my house and among the things I did was install cabling for tv throughout the house, so I can answer your questions about having more than one signal.

Unlike receiving tv through an aerial you need a separate feed for each satellite signal you want to watch. So if you want to watch one channel and record another (for instance) you'll need two feeds. If you want other televisions in the house to work independently you'll need a separate feed for each, and that means having a little box to receive the various feeds and distribute it. As a guide, I can have up to eight feeds (which sounds like a lot but works for me!) and the whole set up cost £650 including installing the dish, running the cabling into the house, setting up the amplifier/distribution box and connecting it up.

My set up was installed by Cyril Ireland on 07714 914 596. He's local and independent and he will always pop round if you have problems. Highly recommended.

On 8 Dec 2011 at 3:19pm someone else wrote:
Thanks SQ. So are you saying that I would need one box - like the Humax gizmo referred to above - but of a type which manages multiple outputs?
I think I'm going to wait til May and see what the digital reception is like, but I haven't got the highest of hopes, to be honest.

On 8 Dec 2011 at 3:57pm Mallin dewller wrote:
At Malling we also recive freeview but witha high gain arial with booster pointed at Hailsham transmitter. Been told the signel strenght will incresse next year. but it ok now when weathers fine.

On 8 Dec 2011 at 4:59pm Southover Queen wrote:
SE: "So are you saying that I would need one box - like the Humax gizmo referred to above - but of a type which manages multiple outputs?"

No, you'll need the Humax box as well. You'll need the right satellite dish and LNB (one with several outputs) which then goes to a multiswitch box and distributes the separate feeds to each tuner (which is what the Humax box is). Or something like that anyway - check out the link which explains it all!

The Humax box comes in two flavours: one is the simple tuner which costs about £100 for the HD version, and the Humax HDR (hard disc recorder) which allows you to record one channel while watching another. For the first you need one satellite feed, and for the other you need two. So if you have a Humax HDR in the living room you need two feeds, a Freesat tv in the kitchen you need one, and a couple of tellies in the bedrooms you need another two. That's how my house uses up six!

Check it out here »

On 8 Dec 2011 at 5:29pm Cliffite wrote:
FYI the LMB is the bit the pokes out the stalk on the sat' dish with the cable/s coming off it which then feed into your house. It's easy enough to go from 1 feed to 2, to 4 etc just by getting another LMB jobbie from Maplins and then running the extra cables into the building

On 8 Dec 2011 at 6:36pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Can't you use those signal sender thingies that Maplins also sell?

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Queen clown 99:132
Queen clown

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare