Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bridge ward By-Election

On 30 May 2016 at 10:59am Doris wrote:
Just been reading Labour Candidate Richard Hurn Election leaflet, Standing for both Town and District Council this Thursday 2nd June.
Lives in the ward and has some good Policies.
Before any one starts i am not from the Labour Party, but i do live in the Bridge ward, Just asking if any one else in Bridge Ward has any comments. Thank you.
On 30 May 2016 at 12:32pm Vote Green! wrote:
Jo and Johnny are fantastic candidates for Town and District respectively!
On 30 May 2016 at 1:52pm Ethel wrote:
Carter and co from the Greens - their leflet tells us all they have done, but they have not, it is the lib dem's and the Indepentants that are trying to sort the parking problem in malling, The Living Wage, the late bus from brighton and the 127/ 128 bus which is not half hourly it is every 1.1/2 hourly.
The Greens only work for you if you live in Castle Ward.
On 30 May 2016 at 3:03pm Redballs wrote:
The living wage in Lewes?
What does the come out at Ethel must be at least 23.20 per hour!
On 30 May 2016 at 7:53pm LOCAL RESIDENT wrote:
Will Elliott and Janet Baah - Lib Dem candidates have delivered a really strong leaflet detailing their record of action for Bridge ward. I'm backing them on Thursday.
On 30 May 2016 at 8:46pm Local too wrote:
Yeah, shame it's all lies LOCAL RESIDENT

On 31 May 2016 at 6:21pm Viva Hate wrote:
Id like to see that leaflet, but they haven't delivered to Cliffe yet
On 1 Jun 2016 at 1:02am Joanna Carter wrote:
The Lib-Dem leaflet is full of exaggerations!
Parking in Malling: I've met the ESCC & got meeting set up with police - what have Lib-Dems done?
Trees on Blakes Walk: not saved yet! I just talked to council trees officer. Trying hard to save them though!
Playstreets: I supported these on South St & other places, and having meeting to find out how we can have more
Premier Inn & Magistrates Court developments: I've been at the meetings for these to represent residents views, but have NEVER seen a lib-dem there (have I missed them?)
Air quality: Green town councillor Amanda Bolt & Tony Rowell are working on improving air quality through out Lewes.
Post Office: all parties have been working hard to save Lewes Post Office. I've managed to get the District Council to agree the Turkish Baths as an option if we can't keep it on the High St - which I think would work better than the library (and library staff agree!)
North Street Development: Unlike the Lib-Dems (apart from Merlin Milner) I didn't want us to lose 450+ jobs, workspace & youth facilities; I tried to get a better development that would retain the low-cost workspace & community facilities and give us the affordable housing Lewes so badly needs. BUT after North St got planning permission, I've been working really hard to relocate displaced businesses & social enterprises and have been talking to developers and to the council and investigating spaces across town. Lib-Dems say they got money for businesses to relocate - but don't say this was only for the businesses on the LDC third of the site which won't move till 2019, so NO help for the businesses & social enterprises & youth facilities being chucked out now.
Plus as your Green District Councillor I've been doing lots of other things:
Malling Rec SkatePark: working hard to get more money for this and other youth facilities
Working hard to find where else youth facilities and displaced businesses from North Street can go (have some solutions for the three youth facilities)
Set up Wildflower Lewes to create more wildflower habitat across town
With other Greens; working to make both councils Living Wage employers, to get swift boxes on new builds; and to reinstate bus services to Malling and elsewhere that were cut
Working to get new approaches to housing so that people can still afford to live in Lewes.
Johnny Denis would make a fabulous District Councillor and I really hope he gets in. He was one of the founders of Furniture Now, he set up the co-op that runs the Farmers Market, and he's just won an award to develop a new approach to financing housing through community investment & shared ownership. I think it'd be great to have someone with his energy, ideas and experience at making innovations come to life on the council.
There's lots more we could do with more Greens on the council. I'd like to work more on getting truly affordable housing, sorting out the District Council's appallingly low recycling rate, get low-cost workspace for start-ups & creative industry, create wildflower habitat throughout town, get more sustainable approach to housing, sort out air-quality problems, and get some youth facilities that our town could be proud of.
On 1 Jun 2016 at 8:30am Sam wrote:
Webbo -You should remove Joanna Carters post immedately, To post this the day before the Election immoral.
On 2 Jun 2016 at 2:46pm JMMM wrote:
@Joanna Carter - Play Streets? What meeting?
On 3 Jun 2016 at 9:38am Time please wrote:
Meetings , coffee and not much action I could do that

On 4 Jun 2016 at 7:13am Laughable Greens wrote:
Didn't do much for you did it Joanna?
May be you should listen to the people of Lewes and stop blowing out a load of hot air. You slating other parties clearly proves how wrong you were.
Quite laughable really...

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Five Lewes Pounds 37:132
Five Lewes Pounds

I find your first remark utterly vile and if I were running this forum I would ban you. You are either using me to make... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde