Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Boys from the Black Stuff on You Tube....

On 11 Jun 2010 at 7:36pm Telly Buff wrote:
Found Boys from the Black Stuff on You Tube yesterday.
All episodes...In 10 minute sections. Bit fiddly but well worth it.Especially Yossers Story.It effected me deeply when I first watched it and almost 30 years on it is as fresh as the day it was made.
Either put Boys from the Black Stuff in the search box on You Tube or put:
YORKIE230557 which is the username. This is beter as they are all in the correct order.
Enjoy....

On 11 Jun 2010 at 7:53pm Clifford wrote:
Thanks Telly Buff. The sad thing is we're probably going to have to go through it all again over the next couple of years.

On 11 Jun 2010 at 9:42pm Telly Buff. wrote:
I'm gonna regret asking this I know...
Why Clifford ???

On 11 Jun 2010 at 9:48pm Clifford wrote:
Mass unemployment.

On 12 Jun 2010 at 2:44pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
When you say 'we' Clifford you refer to the North of England. Because as I remember it 'we' down south didn't suffer much unemployment when compared to the north. The Tories usually look after the south, even the poor. A Tory govenment, hard times, the eighties all over again. Time to dust off that 'Coal not Dole' badge that's been gathering dust, eh Cliff?

On 12 Jun 2010 at 3:52pm Old Cynic wrote:
TF - spot on it WAS grim up north - and so many Yosser Hughes existed. Brilliant bit of TV writing - sad, passionate and funny all in one go

On 12 Jun 2010 at 6:31pm Clifford wrote:
I'm surprised you don't see the north of England AND the south of England as 'we' Tooth Fairy. We are all in it together, aren't we?

On 12 Jun 2010 at 7:40pm Telly Buff. wrote:
You're right there OC...Sad,funny etc.
One of the funnier moments was when Yosser was in the confessional and he said
'I'm desperate Father...'
'Call me Dan' replied the Father.
'I'm Desperate Dan....'
And the scene in the noisy bar after a funeral...Classic Alan Bleasedale.
And Yossers 3 kids who were always trailing around after him were Alan Bleasedales own kids.
I really enjoyed seeing this series again as I haven't see it since it ws aired.

On 12 Jun 2010 at 9:44pm Old Cynic wrote:
Look out for a fab programme, also from the 80s and it might have been Bleasdale called 'Our Day Out'

On 12 Jun 2010 at 9:45pm Old Cynic wrote:
Our Day Out was Willie Russell - circa 1976!

On 13 Jun 2010 at 1:31am Telly Buff. wrote:
Our Day Out is a television play about deprived children from Liverpool in the United Kingdom. It was written by Willy Russell and first aired on 28 December 1977, at 9pm on BBC2.[1] It was later converted into a full length stage musical.
Its's on You Tube OC....Gonna watch it now.

On 13 Jun 2010 at 11:26am Telly Buff wrote:
Play for Today was a British television anthology drama series, produced by the BBC and transmitted on BBC1 from 1970 to 1984. Over three hundred original plays, most between an hour and ninety minutes in length, were transmitted during the fourteen-year period the series aired, and it is by far the most famous programme of its type to have been screened on British television.
Some of the most famous plays broadcast in the strand include Edna, the Inebriate Woman (1971), The Foxtrot (1971), Home (1972), Penda's Fen (1974), Nuts in May (1976), Bar Mitzvah Boy (1976), Our Day Out (1976), Abigail's Party (1977), Blue Remembered Hills (1979), Just a Boys' Game (1979) and The Flipside of Dominick Hide (1980).
Some installments in the series spun-off into full-blown series. Probably the two best-remembered examples of this are Rumpole of the Bailey, which was produced as a one-off in the Play for Today strand in 1975 and three years later became a series for Thames Television with the same star, Leo McKern, and Boys from the Blackstuff, a hard-hitting 1982 BBC2 drama serial by Alan Bleasdale which spun-off from his play The Black Stuff, made in 1978 although not screened until 1980.
Blue Remembered Hills is on You Tube,as is Black Stuff and Our Day out.
I am now watching the Flipside of Dominic Hide and I hopefully will find some more.
Interesting eh...Blue Remembered Hills is on You Tube,as is The Flipside of Dominic Hide,(just watched it) and I'm going to find some more I hope....

On 13 Jun 2010 at 7:26pm Clifford wrote:
It's pretty obvious you're just cutting-and-pasting from Wikipedia, Telly Buff. You might at least pretend you're writing this stuff yourself!

On 13 Jun 2010 at 8:06pm Decent Citizen wrote:
So what Clifford? It did what it was intended to do. It brought to our attention those greats we enjoyed first time round. I hope Telly Buff reminds us of more.

On 13 Jun 2010 at 9:50pm Telly Buff. wrote:
Thanks DC...Being a child of the 70s I appreciate these little finds.
Found another one today...
D//D£@D//M@NS//SH00úS 2004.
Put it in the You Tube search box and it should come up.
Incidentally this is the same user that uploaded Our Day Out,but he has a rather strange way of spelling his titles...But each to their own eh...
Dead Mans Shoes...Quite horrifying but well worth a watch...
Richard returns home from military service to a small town in the Midlands. He has one thing on his mind: revenge. Payback for the local bullies who did some very bad things to his brother. At first his campaign employs guerrilla tactics, designed to frighten the men and put them ill at ease. But then he steps up his operation, and one by one these local tough guys are picked off by the terrifying angel of vengeance that Richard has become.
Apologies for the cut and paste Clifford but as long as I can do all this it proves I'm not going senile eh....
And thanks for your kind wprds DC....

On 14 Jun 2010 at 3:59pm Telly Buff. wrote:
Found Abigails Party on You Tube.
Put username 'Trueform7 ' in the search box and it's near the top.

On 14 Jun 2010 at 4:02pm Telly Buff. wrote:
Same again for Blue Remembered Hills.
Username is ' LestradeOfTheYard '
It is in quite a few parts....

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station View 82:132
Lewes Station View

Im sure one of your conspiracy theories will come true, and despite all of them probably being bogus nonsense, that one bullseye... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo