Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Boxing Day Hunt

17
21
On 26 Dec 2014 at 7:54pm Boris wrote:
What great support for the hunt up in the High Street this morning. What a fantastic sight it was with all those magnificent horses and hounds.
10
14
On 26 Dec 2014 at 8:20pm Zebedee wrote:
I'm sure it was lovely. Next....
16
11
On 26 Dec 2014 at 10:39pm nevillman wrote:
I see that the Tories are going to reinstate hunting for foxes with hounds if they are reelected. Can someone remind me which century we are living in?
22
21
On 27 Dec 2014 at 12:07am Red wrote:
A disgusting display of divisive elitism dressed up as traditional sporting prowess
10
4
On 27 Dec 2014 at 7:28am Metatron wrote:
@red. Tend to agree but still a great spectacle. I take comfort In the numerous pairs of 'green welies' on show that have never seen any dirt.

19
20
On 27 Dec 2014 at 7:56am Sussex Jim wrote:
Red, it is a group of people pursuing a hobby. Like bonfire; or thousands of people making a pilgrimage to Falmer to watch a few men kick a ball about.
Live and let live.
15
9
On 27 Dec 2014 at 8:20am feline wrote:
Sussex Jim, Bonfire and football don't have as their object the killing of an animal which is just living it's life.
11
22
On 27 Dec 2014 at 11:17am historian wrote:
This country needs to nurture all its traditions and history if we are to maintain any English identity for the future. Remember the future is made up of the past. Especially once we are free of Europe. Apart from the controlling of Fox numbers, people are actually encouraging them into their gardens !
4
7
On 27 Dec 2014 at 4:12pm NF wrote:
Yeah, because fox-hunting was all about controlling the numbers.. That's why they made damn sure there were enough foxes about to ensure a good hunt.
8
6
On 27 Dec 2014 at 6:56pm Mr Nice wrote:
Its not at all about controlling numbers. One person with a rifle is a million times more effective at pest control than all these finely dressed people riding their expensive horses. They do it solely because they enjoy it.

Taking the life of anything for pleasure is cruel and barbaric, the signature of an uncivilised brute. A species as advanced and as cultured as ours ought to be better than that.
8
5
On 27 Dec 2014 at 8:13pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Really Mr Nice? Can one person with his or her rifle really sniff out a fox and kill it one million times more effectively than a pack of hounds?
FWIW I have no strong view on fox hunting one way or the other. There are arguments for and against. I was not that bothered when Labour banned it. And I would not be that bothered if a future Tory government unbanned it.
But the more people argue that the hunting of foxes should remain illegal because it is a pursuit of 'the elite' (Red) or those who happen to be able to afford some nice clothes and a horse (your good self, in parts), then the more I am in favour of legalisation. That just smacks of envy and is not the way to make your case.
10
5
On 28 Dec 2014 at 8:23am ! wrote:
They're sick. Anyone who takes pleasure in hunting down an animal and then having it ripped apart in front of them for fun should not be allowed to vote. Imagine the kind of psychopaths who would end up governing the country. With that lack of normal human empathy for other living beings imagine how they would treat the weakest and less capable of society...
8
1
On 28 Dec 2014 at 9:30am Mr Nice wrote:
Yes Cliffe Hanger, a game keeper with a rifle is much more effective and much more cost effective than a hunt. It's not open to question.
BTW. Did you know that estates insist that their tenant farmers leave copses in place specifically to nuture foxes so they can then hunt them with dogs? And then they say that fox hunting is necessary to keep down fox numbers! Who are they trying to kid?

We have banned a number of blood sports precisely because a civilised society sees the deliberate harming of animals for sport as barbaric and beneath our dignity. That fox hunting and pheasant shooting, sports traditionally the preserve of the landed gentry, are still allowed is testament to the power of the ruling classes. You can't ban cockfighting, dog fighting and badger baiting (traditionally the pastimes of working folk) and still allow fox hunting and pheasant shooting I'm afraid.

And before anyone pipes up with 'oh but foxes are pests'. Rabbits are much more of a pest in the countryside than foxes will ever be.... and guess which animal is most effective at keeping their numbers down?
3
1
On 28 Dec 2014 at 10:56am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
My irony detector may be malfunctioning, but the use of the phrase "live and let live" in defence of killing animals for sport is a bit rich, Sussex Jim.
I'm opposed to fox hunting, but still love the sight of the horses and hounds, and I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting for the pot. The intensive rearing of pheasants for sport, and then burying the dead birds in a pit because there's no market for them strikes me as perverse and wasteful though.
I think there's as much, if not more, cruelty involved in intensive farming practices though. A ban on battery poultry farming and indoor pigs and dairy cows would probably achieve more in terms of animal welfare than the fox hunting ban has.
1
1
On 28 Dec 2014 at 12:24pm john wrote:
"The unspeakable in pursuit of the uneatable" as a wise man once said.
1
2
On 28 Dec 2014 at 2:54pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Not open to question, Mr Nice? I shall question whatever I like, and I continue to question your assertion that a gamekeeper with a rifle is a million times more capable than a pack of hounds at detecting, and then killing a fox. Cost effectiveness is, IMO, irrelevant. Neither method ocosts society a penny.
You assert that tenant farmers are required to maintain copses as a breeding ground for foxes. If you have any evidence of this then I suggest you take it to the police as they are aiding and abetting a criminal offence.
2
3
On 29 Dec 2014 at 9:56am Mr Nice wrote:
A geamkeepwr manages a verynumver of acres and gets to know it well. It is very easy to see fox tracks and even smell their whereabouts. A single man with a rifle can easily eradicate all foxes from 450 acres in a year or two whilst going about his normal duties. Compare that quiet efficient extermination with the manpower and associated trashing of the countryside associated with a hunt... an activity aimed at a single kill.
I am all to well aware of this as I have lived on estates for the last decade and take part in many country pusuits (none of which involve killing for pleasure I might add).

Heve a good look at Ordnance surveys maps in areas where there are large estates. You'll see the copses clearly identified.
1
1
On 29 Dec 2014 at 4:37pm Plant lover wrote:
I do wish they'd stop killing them. Rabbits are much more of a pest than foxes and we need the foxes to keep their numbers down!
1
2
On 30 Dec 2014 at 1:28am Peasant wrote:
Fact 1: Hunting has got much more popular since the ban came in. This is because there are a lot of people up for a ride across farmland who have no interest at all in killing a fox at the end of it.
Fact 2: When they started hunting in this part of Sussex there were hardly any foxes about, because the farmers had got rid of them. Lord Gage had to be very firm with his tenants to allow enough to survive to make hunting worthwhile. The hunts made sure there were plenty of foxes to chase, and managed the countryside to build up the population. This carried on right up to the 21st century. But they can't say this out loud because they persuade the farmers to let them hunt their land by promising to keep the foxes down.
Fact 3: There are about 200,000 foxes in the UK and they produce 400,000 cubs each year. At the end of the year there are still 200,000 foxes. The hunts kill somewhere around 20,000. We run over about 100,000. If you want to build up the fox population, drive a bit more slowly on rural roads. Hunting, or stopping hunting, has minimal impact on the fox population. However, if hunt supporters stopped creating fox opportunities in the countryside, then you would see the fox population slide.
PS: I would never hunt foxes myself but recognise that, like birds of prey, their presence in the countryside is bad news for at least some other types of wildlife.
2
 
On 30 Dec 2014 at 11:08pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Mr Nice. I am not too sure what we are arguing about now. I am not a hunt supporter. But I am wary of those who are against fox hunting simply because they view it as a sport that used to be practised by people who were unusually well off. You say that you have lived on estates for a number of years. Not that it matters much, but are we talking Nevil, or Landport? Ousedale? I too have OS maps.
1
 
On 1 Jan 2015 at 2:07am Mr Nice wrote:
No, country estates spread over many acres, with titled owners and tenant farmers.
2
 
On 1 Jan 2015 at 5:19am A Thought wrote:
Strange the uproar over fox hunting when millions of pheasants are killed in 'shoots' every year, with the birds herded towards waiting guns and not much skill or 'sport' involved. Both ancient English traditions but is a pheasant worth less than a fox?


15 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Southover Grange and Gardens 108:132
Southover Grange and Gardens

I see you still pay no attention to the bits that might tax the old grey cells. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams