Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bonfire out meetings and the 5th.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 9:33am Humpty-dumptys great fall wrote:
I hear every waking hour about how good bonfire night is in Lewes and how good all the societies are despite the fact that they all hate each other.
So why do you good people of Lewes go into the processions on the 5th and all the out meetings too. I'll tell you why, it's to get as pissed as possible and cause as much hastle as you can.
Last night at Newick, Commercial square got kicked out of the pub by the police for being agressive, rowdy and drunk.
It has now got so bad that the police have a drink confiscation policy for both public and procession members alike. Ok so it's not all of you but i would say 80% of people on out meetings get lashed up and not many less on the 5th.
I hear members talking,
"how much booze are you taking with you on the 5th"
"oh enough to get paraletic"
Im also wondering about the costumes. There's so many "stripes" these days because people can't be bothered to sort a costume out. I also noticed some of the costumes are just so out of touch with the traditions, it's unbelievable. What has a beefeater got to do with bonfire night.
So all you proud bonfire boys and girls, a night out preserving the Lewes tradition of bonfire night or a glorified piss up for chavs ???

On 2 Nov 2008 at 9:57am I predict wrote:
I predict a huge backlash and lecture on all things bonfire now give it twenty mins or so.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 10:16am Roly Mo wrote:
Pratts (19 minutes actually)

On 2 Nov 2008 at 10:33am Arthur Broomhead wrote:
Consider the size of the Societies.
Consider the population of Lewes.
Compare.
The core of the societies are certainly intent on "preserving the Lewes tradition" but they are vastly outnumbered by members who live outside Lewes who just see Bonfire as just a great time to Party. Most will get a stripey jumper rather than go to the trouble of something more fancy.
I think.....fair enough!
I'm sure Bonfire Boys a century ago, just saw the whole thing as an opportunity to stick two fingers up at "the establishment" and get pissed.
You can't be surprised when a few go OTT.
Should Societies only allow members who live in Lewes? Discuss.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 11:01am Cat Woman wrote:
I suspect the first comment was an attempt to wind people up, the forum is pretty boring at the moment and nothing creates more of a furore than criticism of bonfire. That said, your comment about beefeaters-if you a referring to those lovely ladies (cough cough, splutter splutter) in Waterloo- you know, the ones with their baps out, there are always those that think bonfire night is an excuse to look sexy, which is why most societies usually have at least one St Trinian. I think all costumes (except for those which involve wearing stockings and push up bras) have a place in bonfire, after all, what do Zulus or Romans have to do with bonfire.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 12:02pm Humpty-dumptys great fall wrote:
Roly Mo, i totally agree, they're all prats.
Arthur, if the core of the societies members are tradition preserving people, why don't the powers within the societies start banning those who are constantly out of line. Cliffe have a waiting list so they should have no problems getting rid of the chavs who bring their society into disrepute and attracting new members.
Cat woman. Not a wind up but a genuine question. Roly mo thinks they're all "pratts" so discuss it.
I agree about the zulus and Romans etc, it does make me laugh that the societies strictly adhere to the tradition in all ways except costumes. St Trinnians, whilst i agree it's pleasing on the eye has absolutely no place in bonfire folklore...................
unless you can come up with an arguement otherwise !!!

On 2 Nov 2008 at 12:11pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I don't think it matters what costumes people wear. If they stuck to what has a connection with Nov 5th, there'd only be Tudors in the processions, and that would be pretty dull. I love to see the variety among the various societies.
I agree there's a tendency for people to go for the smuggle "easy option" in terms of costume, but I suspect that's because it's easier to wear. It's warm, comfortable, washable, won't get ruined if it rains (or become waterlogged and weigh a ton like anything involving fur), the trousers have useful pockets (not found in Viking or Zulu costumes) and you don't have swords to trip you up or other awkward bits. I think it's a shame that more of the societies don't have an equivalent of the Cliffe naval ranks, where there is a smart and esily identifiable period costume that takes a bit more work but is still very easy to wear.

Given the numbers involved in bonfire, it's inevitable that an proportion will get pissed and behave badly, same as at a football match, a carnival or any other large event. That element may well predominate at outmeetings. There are still a significant number who have jobs to do on the night, and won't be getting sloshed until everything is safely over. I'd like to see all the bonfire committees take a stronger line on bad behaviour though. You see some appalling behaviour and rarely hear of anyone being chucked out.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 12:54pm Roly Mo wrote:
Humpty, I was actually referring to you as being a prat.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 1:27pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
'Should Societies only allow members who live in Lewes? Discuss.'
And perhaps only people who live in Lewes should be allowed to watch the procession and the fireworks. The government could bring in an ID scheme to enable the police to check this.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 1:54pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Maybe restrict it to "only people with somewhere to sleep in Lewes on the night" - that way we could still invite friends & family!

On 2 Nov 2008 at 2:06pm Humpty wrote:
Well that's not very christian of you Roly Mo. At least put up some sort of arguement rather than replying stoneage type grunts. I suspect you're a bonfire member Roly ?

On 2 Nov 2008 at 2:53pm Musher wrote:
Hmm so it's ok for for Roly to utter "stoneage type grunts" when you think he's insulting bonfire members, but not when he's calling you a Prat (which you clearly are)

On 2 Nov 2008 at 3:19pm Humpty wrote:
You see, i have seen no logical or sensible arguement so far, just abuse. I presume Musher, that you think it's ok for bonfire society members to get off their faces on out meets and on the 5th. Clearly, just like roly mo, you condone this sort of activity.
I thought the "pratts" that roly mo was referring to were the chavs who i talk of, otherwise roly mo would've replied in the singular rather than the plural.
Pardon ?

On 2 Nov 2008 at 3:25pm Humpty wrote:
Just to add, some of the people who i talk to are well established members of bonfire societies. They are in their 40's (men and women) with children and some are even assigned jobs within the societies such as "master of the torches" or chief second in command of the barrel" or some hilarious name.
Anyway, when i've asked them about their intentions on bonfire night, the reply has always been the same "yeah, i'm going to get as pissed as possible"

On 2 Nov 2008 at 5:54pm Mobile wrote:
Bonfire Night in Lewes is always a let down. Chav city in Lewes for the night. I hate it and have lived in Lewes for years. Don't get why people get so excited about it!

On 2 Nov 2008 at 6:07pm Sashka wrote:
Why is a bunch of aggressive pissed people who all happen to be in a Bonfire society, representative of 'bonfire'? Has Humpty done a survey of other society members who weren't being aggressivly drunk in a pub in Newick, to find out what they were doing? In Lewes town centre we are regularly harassed by groups of pissed prats (some even come from Newick!) who are nothing to do with Bonfire. Its just human nature to be a prat, as Humpty surely knows.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 6:21pm fireball wrote:
Well mobile you are not a lewes person

On 2 Nov 2008 at 6:35pm Humpty wrote:
You only have to look down a couple of threads to the user "kendo caster".
Just about sums it all up really

On 2 Nov 2008 at 8:12pm catherine wheel wrote:
I have been in bonfire for over 25 years and have held various positions and have worked as part of the firework teams. It is totally frowned upon . to drink (apart from wetting your whistle) until everything has gone off. Most of us who work hard to make bonfire night so special prefer to see the 5th sober and usually wait until the last procession to "let go". I agree with Humpty to a degree, you work hard for months and months only for some pissed up twat to be staggering all over the road, being aggressive and contributing absolutely nothing to the society and having not so much as made a torch. These people are complete and utter mugs and do not have true bonfire in thier hearts. As for outmeetings, people tend to wear what they are most comfy in. its also a time for the workers to let go a bit. Can't stand the beefeater costumes personally but they do make me laugh. Believe me if you look back through the bonfire archives. every costume has been worn at some time, thier are no rules.

On 2 Nov 2008 at 9:26pm Roly Mo wrote:
Who said I was a christian?

On 2 Nov 2008 at 9:37pm Observer wrote:
And there is nothing better than saying this forum is boring when it plainly isn't to spark me off.....But you still hang around for a look to say it is 'boring?' Priceless....

On 2 Nov 2008 at 11:29pm Enoch wrote:
I have a feeling that Humpty is really FA!

On 3 Nov 2008 at 5:21am Musher wrote:
I think he's the editor of the Daily Mail.

On 3 Nov 2008 at 5:58am FA wrote:
I'd be a lot less polite !!!!!!!!

On 3 Nov 2008 at 8:16am l.pierre wrote:
Whilst I have much respect for the Societies and most of their members,I am disappointed every year by random nincompoopery (hey! Cliffe has a new slogan!) from the small minority.
Last year whilst pushing my newborn child through a park in town at 4pm on the 5th,a couple of striped no-brainers (man and woman) thought it'd be hilarious to drop a rookie behind our backs. When challenged by myself,the woman screamed that I shouldn't be taking my child out that time of day on the 5th (I was returning from the childminder).
The answer I expect will be along the lines of..."We all expect a certain amount of anarchy on this day,and we may even knowingly take our lives in our hands,if Norman Baker is to be believed.

On 3 Nov 2008 at 10:04am Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
Going back to the first thread from the wise Mr. Dumpty I am a bit confused by your comments on bonfire costumes. In one sentence you moan about there being so many 'stripes' because people can't be bothered to make a costume, and then in the next sentence you complain that so many costumes are out of touch with tradition. This obviously indicates a lack of knowledge about bonfire. The smuggler, or 'stripes', as you call it, was the original costume of the bonfire boys. This was worn as a disguise in the days when bonfire was more riotous so that individuals could not be identified in the crowd. So, if it is true tradition that you are looking for, then everyone would be wearing smugglers costumes. This disguise evolved over the years into the variety of fancy dress that we see today. So, if it is different costumes you want to see therefore, then beafeaters for example, are no more out of touch with the traditions of bonfire than any other costume.
As for the societies hating each other than that again shows ignorance. There is of course rivalry between the societies, but at the end of the day you will find that the majority of true bonfire boys stick together for a common cause.
On the subject of drunken behaviour, then there are standards that are acceptable, and those that are not. The problem is, you see a bonfire boy, or behaving badly, and you straight away tar the thousands of others with the same brush. There was certainly nowhere near the 80% of 'lashed up' bonfire boys at Newick, in fact most of them were surprisingly sober in my opinion, however there were plenty of none bonfire people being drunk and rowdy in the pub, yet it doesnt sound so good to have a go at them does it.

On 3 Nov 2008 at 12:58pm A. Narchist wrote:
I think it's disgraceful the way the societies are losing touch with their traditions. When was the last time any of them chucked a magistrate in the Ouse, eh?

On 3 Nov 2008 at 6:47pm Cat Woman wrote:
The Beefeaters (with their baps), are on the home page!!!

On 3 Nov 2008 at 7:41pm Avidfan wrote:
You can just see John Geering leering in the background, old rascal.

On 10 Nov 2008 at 8:04pm Thomas Paine wrote:
Fireworks were apparantly used since Henry VII time when sexy buxom wenches were required at all times, if the V&A Museum's costume gallery is to be believed, so baps/wenches etc at Bonfire Night may very well be more traditional than the burning of effiges.

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Barbican Lewes 7:132
Barbican Lewes

How sad do you have to be to dig up stuff like that? I guess you don't have a life. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine