Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Bill on Radio 4

On 15 Jun 2011 at 9:30am Blue touch paper wrote:
One of the guests on todays "Midweek" on Radio 4 is Bill Collison from, to quote Libby Purves, the famous Lewes restaurant!

On 15 Jun 2011 at 9:35am Easy Listener wrote:
Jinx!

On 15 Jun 2011 at 11:30am eggbertnobacon wrote:
Heard it in full and you know what I thought? Bill is apparently successful and doing what he enjoys doing for work, how many of us can truly say that.

On 15 Jun 2011 at 12:21pm Clifford wrote:
Yes, but did he put his radio outside on the pavement?

On 15 Jun 2011 at 12:31pm If wrote:
If he enjoys it so much how come he always looks reet proper grumpy?
On 15 Jun 2011 at 1:29pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Maybe being the public face of someone else's business is getting him down. I imagine that no matter how much they're paying him for using his name, it must be a little depressing to have built up what is undeniably a successful business only to have it bought up by a bunch of restauranteers from London who first destroy all the goodwill you had with local suppliers by shipping all the produce down from London (Although it still says local produce on the signs strangely) and then squeeze the last drop of profit out of the place by reducing the already stingy portion sizes and upping the already comedically high prices. I'm surprised he's never come on here given the volume of criticism aimed at him, if only to say "Don't blame me, it's just my name they're using, I have no say in how the place is run any more".

On 15 Jun 2011 at 1:32pm Sancho wrote:
Not all his produce comes from London..........he also sends his staff across to Tesco to purchase 'organic' products!

On 15 Jun 2011 at 4:21pm bastian wrote:
He's got his manor house out at f uckfield to keep him happy,and let's face it he'd skin a maggot.

On 15 Jun 2011 at 4:49pm Vesbod wrote:
I listened to the broadcast and was not all that impressed. He kept on saying he was lazy ! So how has he managed to start/maintain the Bill's business ? Someone behind the scenes maybe ...... Never been to the place myself - tell a lie, I went once and couldn't get a seat, haven't been back since.

On 15 Jun 2011 at 5:32pm Clifford wrote:
You can't help noticing that the place is always heaving - which confirms that the old 'charge them a fortune and take the piss out of them and they'll keep coming back' remains true.

On 15 Jun 2011 at 7:17pm Deelite wrote:
Not lazy. He got up at 5am for years. He probably still does.

On 15 Jun 2011 at 7:40pm Abill's Ex wrote:
I used to be regular in the early days. The store really offered something different and I thought it was good value. Also, at the time it was one of the few places in town that served a decent cup of coffee. Sadly things have declined rapidly (standard of service, price and size of portions being just a few reasons) in recent times such that I don't go near the place anymore. I give it another 12 months.

On 16 Jun 2011 at 3:51pm bastian wrote:
I liked it when you could buy veg there..and it was cheap to,but not anymore...it was the loud music and braying twats that drove me out...am I allowed to say twat,or will the filter tick me off again

On 16 Jun 2011 at 3:52pm bastian wrote:
ahah, so I can say twat....ok webbo,explain what twat means and why it's ok not c*nt.

On 16 Jun 2011 at 7:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think twat just doesn't sound rude. It's sort of like twit with a typo.
Mind you, I'm very fond of the word twunt, which doesn't mean anything at all and can be used liberally without giving offence.

On 22 Jun 2011 at 5:46pm Lori wrote:
Bills has changed, not for the good. Got chatting to one of the waitresses about tips. They only get an extra 3p per hour on top of minimum wage from the credit card tips left by customers. Management keep the rest apparently.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Arms Lads 55:132
Lewes Arms Lads

He runs this country in the current vacuum of effective leadership. It's a disastrous time for it to happen. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa