Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

BT Race to infinity - faster broadband in Lewes.

On 8 Oct 2010 at 4:34pm LFTy wrote:
h**p://www.racetoinfinity.bt.com/
They say they want 1,000 votes to upgrade our exchange.
There are 8,681 users on this exchange.
So far 13 have voted.
And BT used our bridge in their adverts...

On 8 Oct 2010 at 5:24pm Clifford wrote:
Done it - 15 votes now.

On 8 Oct 2010 at 6:26pm MC wrote:
Don't bethere.co.uk already provide fast internet in Lewes?

I think I've probably misunderstood something but a check on their web site with a Cliffe area phone number gives an estimated 18mb (with Plusnet I currently only seem to get 3mb). I'm not sure that its worth getting anything faster than this as other restrictions come into play and as I understand it it is very unlikely you'd even get to capacitise your full 18mb.

On 8 Oct 2010 at 7:12pm me wrote:
15mb with bethere in Landport

On 8 Oct 2010 at 8:20pm Independent thinker wrote:
Voted. Up to a massive 17 votes now. Goodbye iPlayer buffering!

On 8 Oct 2010 at 9:08pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
I have been with Be Internet (or bethere) for three years now. I think they are excellent. I used to get 18 mbps when I lived in the Cliffe. I have now moved to a place near the station - yes, maybe I should change my moniker - but I still get 18 mbps.

On 8 Oct 2010 at 9:43pm MC wrote:
@ Cliffe and me.
I'm interested to know... do you think that 18mb gives you a significantly better internet experience than a more normal 6/7mb broadband feed?

And LFTy. Is the new BT stuff significantly better than bethere's current offering and why (not just in "it's a lot faster" but in terms of "what will it mean to you average internet user")?

Thanks.

On 8 Oct 2010 at 11:07pm me wrote:
Mc - Yes!!!!!!!! I get drivers, updates and stuff I'm not prepared to admit to on a public forum, a shed load quicker! and no I'm not talking about "Hand to Man Combat" material. We are talking DVD's in 30 mins and long forgotten films you simply cannot rent/buy without a second mortgage in about 5 - 6 minutes.

On 9 Oct 2010 at 9:26am king cnut wrote:
19 votes now!

On 9 Oct 2010 at 9:34am Misery wrote:
Done, 20 now!

On 9 Oct 2010 at 9:43am Misery wrote:
Good speed test here:
h**p://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html?button
Mine is running at 8.8Megs today, peaked at 12.3 last month. I'm quite happy with BT Broadband. Recent upgrades have worked as it used to be around 5 to 6 megs.
Only prob I have is there are around 12 wireless networks around me and it can slow up at the weekends.

On 9 Oct 2010 at 9:59am Cliffe Hanger wrote:
@MC. The value of 18 mbps over 8 mbps depends what you use your internet connection for. As me has pointed out, if you are in the habit of downloading video files, then the (much) faster download speed of a service like Be, for little or no extra money, is obviously an advantage. I use my connection for downloading, and uploading, TV programmes via BitTorrent. Without a satelitte dish, I can only get channels 1 to 4, and even then the signal is not good. The upload speed on Be is much higher than normal too, around 1 mbps.

On 9 Oct 2010 at 10:37pm Twinky wrote:
I'm on bethere (central Lewes)
DSL Status: Up
DSL Modulation Mode: ADSL2
DSL Path Mode: FAST
Downstream Rate: 21599 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 1226 Kbps
Download speed is more related to the load on the server - eg. Microsoft is a bit crap, BBC varies, but I see >2MB /sec sometimes.

On 10 Oct 2010 at 4:11pm MC wrote:
As I'm on a village exchange I can't get BeThere but it seems like a no brainer in Lewes (assuming it's not considerably more expensive that the alternatives) if you download movies, music or software on a frequent basis. On my poor 3.5mb banwidth-shaped feed I can't decide to watch a movie on the spur of the moment and have to plan a day ahead as I only get decent BitTorrent rates at night. I'm still interested to know how BTs new service will improve on this and whether the difference will be worth having.

On 11 Oct 2010 at 5:23pm wanderer wrote:
number 30

On 13 Oct 2010 at 9:38am wanderer wrote:
ref twinky ...i think thats why o2 capped us at a lower rate and 3db ratio we have no problems at all even with iplayer

On 14 Oct 2010 at 4:09pm newbie wrote:
BT Infinity is fibre to your local cabinet and speeds will be up to 40Mb only limit will be the distance to your local green box/cab) as opposed to Be There's up to 24Mb LLU service

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Railway Land Bridge 100:132
Railway Land Bridge

I don't think Santa is on-line at all, you just have to leave a note by the chimney. And hope you've been good all year. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina