Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Athur Conan Doyle

On 16 Jan 2013 at 1:20pm @LStacey wrote:
Good afternoon folk,
According to Wikipedia and many other online sources, one Arthur Conan Doyle (of Sherlock Holmes fame) lived here in Lewes at a house called "Castle Banks House".
As far as I can see, there is no house in castle banks with that name. I was wondering if it might be the house tucked away in Castle Precinct, by the bowling green. If not... Where is/was it?
Any info at all would be mucho appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

On 18 Jan 2013 at 11:36am @LStacey wrote:
Nobody knows.
The staggering lack of evidence here suggests that it may not be true.

On 18 Jan 2013 at 2:07pm FFS wrote:
Or more likely that no-one cares.

On 18 Jan 2013 at 4:34pm Cllr Ashley Price wrote:
I've had a look on the internet, using "Arthur Conan Doyle lewes" as a search term and, apart from a couple of sites, there doesn't seem to be anything "official" about him living in Lewes. Also, in Lewes, there is a Castle Banks Cottage, but I cannot find a Castle Banks House (I am sure someone will correct me on this if I am wrong).
He did live in Crowborough for a number of years and an ESCC local history page (link below) mentions this, but nothing about him living in Lewes.
There is also "The Conan Doyle (Crowborough) Establishment", the curator of which actually lives here in Lewes.
If neither of these places make mention of Conan Doyle living in Lewes, I think we can assume that the person who put it on Wikipedia got it wrong, and the "many other online sources" probably took the information from there as well.

Check it out here »

33 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2019 25:132
Cliffe Tableau 2019

Invading armies are famous for "interbreeding" as you so delicately put it. I'm sure there's plenty of Norman dna as well. Please... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy