Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Ask.fm

On 17 Dec 2012 at 9:00am Sceptic wrote:
In the light of the Jimmy Saville and other celebs I feel the CPA should do something about the website ASK.FM. It was brought to my attention by my grandson who noticed a link to it on his Facebook. There are girls and boys as young as twelve signed up to it and apparently anyone can ask them questions anonymously. It is full of sexually explicit material which a lot of the youngsters reply to very keenly, also there is a lot of racial abuse and bullying. I believe a few youngsters have actually taken their lives as a result of the online bullying. I have mentioned this to a police officer who said there is not a lot they can do about it. This I find hard to believe when they pull out all the stops to arrest people that committed crimes 40 years ago.

On 17 Dec 2012 at 9:29am Dave wrote:
The police are a bit short handed what with all the round the clock parking meter stakeouts.

On 17 Dec 2012 at 10:05am Southover Queen wrote:
I've had to deal with the police in relation to online threats and intimidation and I think it very much depends on whether the individual officer you're dealing with really understands how serious it can be.

I wonder if you were to get in touch with CEOP you might find they were a bit more on the ball? I don't know whether they respond to individual members of the public, but it's probably worth a go.

Check it out here »

On 17 Dec 2012 at 12:41pm Fiddy Kiddler wrote:
The temptation to have a look at that website now is almost too much.

On 17 Dec 2012 at 3:15pm Civilian wrote:
Wow if there was a more inappropriate time for the above comment and user name.
In regards to the o.p I think parents should still have a strict control over what sites children are accessing such as the one mentioned. The police will have no particular say overall only in certain circumstances.
If a parent or guardian has an issue I believe they will need to police this themselves, I believe that social networking is no place for children and should have stricter guidelines due to the nature of the sites and the bullying that can be involved

On 17 Dec 2012 at 4:31pm Andrew wrote:
Um, wished I hadn't looked at this website. Pretty vile, even worse that Webbo's adverts for Filipino girls (see left).
On 17 Dec 2012 at 4:34pm someone else wrote:
Parents need to monitor their kids' internet use and social media until they're of an age where they can deal with anything they come across; it's no more complicated than that and it's no different to not letting you child cross the road alone until they can do it safely.

If you try to ban websites like ask.fm. they'll just move to another legal jurisdiction (if they're not there already). But the thing I won't accept is the idea of the government deciding which bits of the internet are available here (ie what happens in China etc).

On 17 Dec 2012 at 7:52pm Deelite wrote:
What age would that be? And how should one monitor their usage?
Have you raised kids in the always-on internet age?

On 17 Dec 2012 at 8:11pm mr happy wrote:
A girl in my daughters year at school had an anonymous question asking ' why is your mum a retard' (because she has MS) and today someone said that they hope her Mum dies soon.
I am completely shocked about it and have been discussing it with my daughters about what should be done about this poor girl getting more abuse. My daughters said that as its anonymous people write what they like. This is very dangerous. Is it traceable?

On 17 Dec 2012 at 10:15pm The Nail On Hit The Head wrote:
I mean I know this sounds stupid.........
Stop looking at the site. When the s**t appears on here I tend to not look its not hard. Human will power!
These kids are just looking for attention through these websites and obviously bad things will happen.

On 18 Dec 2012 at 9:46am Ed Can Do wrote:
Windows comes with a range of features to prevent kids looking at stuff they shouldn't, the most effective of which is to set up a list of "safe" sites which you can access at any time on your computer and then require a password to access others. I imagine Macs have a similar feature. If you'd rather see websites banned than take a few, simple steps to protect your kids online then that's your own business I guess. I'd suggest it takes no longer to setup a safe list of websites on you computer than it does to make sure your kids can't get at pills, knives and bleach and are aware of how silly it is to put your fingers in plug sockets.

Also, if your kids are under 13 then they shouldn't be on Facebook. To get an accoutn for an under 13 year old requires breaking their terms of service to get the account in the first place. If a site asks for your date of birth when you register then there is not a lot you can do to complain if you lie about that when setting up the account. Would you let your kid play unattended at a playground occupied by millions of strangers? If not, then you've no business letting your kids use the internet unattended without taking steps to limit what they can access really.

On 18 Dec 2012 at 10:11am someone else wrote:
Deelite - yes, I've raised kids in the internet age. Both had Facebook below the age of 13, as Ed notes above. You make a tricky decision as a parent between following the rules and allowing them to manage their friendships in the way they want to. In my experience about 50% of year 6 (ie 10-11) have Facebook. But obviously when they are young you don't let them use it unless you have access to their password and you check on what's happening regularly.

On 18 Dec 2012 at 10:18am googler wrote:
@Andrew I don't see Phillipino girls but then I think those ads are tailored to your own proclivities which is why all I get is ads for Interflora flowers and National Trust

On 18 Dec 2012 at 12:58pm Bob wrote:
At Schools children will not have access to facebook as schools have strict filtering systems that prevent children from accessing non-educational pages such as social networking and games.
It would not be hard for parents to do the same!

On 18 Dec 2012 at 1:50pm A.T wrote:
I have been shown some of the posts on ask.fm by my teenage daughter and they are shocking. My daughter is sensible enough not to set one up for herself but many of her schoolfriends have them and some of the comments on there are vile. The majority of comments appear to be about the person's personality and looks. It seems to attract the more vulnerable children because they want approval/attention but I imagine they end up being distraught at the spiteful anonomous comments.

On 18 Dec 2012 at 5:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think social networking may well be nearing the end of its heyday. I'm hearing more and more people saying they no longer use their FB accounts, are giving up twitter because it's overrun by teens and so on.
All the bullying etc that goes on is putting more and more people off. I wouldn't let kids near it, if I had any.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Landport bound 52:132
Landport bound

Our kitchen was fitted by the manufacturer Murdoch Troon as the kitchen installation was included within our budget. The team... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde