Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Aqua

On 23 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm Hungry wrote:
Anyone been here yet? I hear their steaks are good.
On 23 Mar 2018 at 3:29pm Earl of Lewess wrote:
I've boycotted them ever since they bombarded this forum with fake posts when they opened.
On 23 Mar 2018 at 3:50pm Bob wrote:
They are tip exploiters serving mediocre food. Try Fuego instead.
On 23 Mar 2018 at 4:00pm Eater wrote:
Sorry to diss a local place (though Earl of Lewes is right about the fake posts early on), but when some of us went soon after their opening my friend had a steak so tough that she had to spit the bits out - yuk.
On 23 Mar 2018 at 8:38pm Tom wrote:
Went downhill fast and wasn’t a very big hill to start
On 23 Mar 2018 at 10:43pm Mavis wrote:
We cut out the middleman these days and get our ready meals straight from the supermarkets
On 24 Mar 2018 at 12:05am Bait wrote:
You all fell for it, including opening posts
On 24 Mar 2018 at 1:01am Diner wrote:
Aqua was disappointing the one time I went, and I haven't bothered to try it again. For what it's worth, Fuego was much worse (to the point of complaining). Shame they are both duds, though there are still plenty of other places to eat.
On 24 Mar 2018 at 7:38am Diner wrote:
The steaks and chips I have had several times have always been great.
On 24 Mar 2018 at 8:32am madge wrote:
Restaurants like Aqua, Prezo, the ridiculously named 'Cote'.... all seem to serve indifferent food based on very loose concepts of a preferred nationality. The food appears to be largely brought in and has next to no local providence. Much of it is assembled elsewhere according to a one size fits all menu. The tastes are honed to be 'safe' and the food is often sweet and salty. I think maybe it makes some people feel safe since all this food is so sanitised and repetitive.
I do wonder about the power of any true chef in these establishments. What I do know is that what I want is interesting, skilful, freshly cooked food when I eat out.
I also want to pay a fair price knowing that part of it is contributing to and benefiting local suppliers and paying decent wages. Sadly high rents driven by these chains have chased out the majority of independent businesses. We should support those that remain - and salute their courage. I am sad about the ones that have gone under.
Nationally, restaurant chains are in trouble. I'm afraid greed other than that associated with food has led to rash over development. I do hope we are not going to be left with gaping empty premises in Lewes.
On 24 Mar 2018 at 8:42am Earl of Lewess wrote:
@Madge - I agree. I'd rather eat out less and pay a bit more for something special. The chains have over-expanded, based on the reckless assumption that we're all going to eat out more and more, or that they can grab a bigger share of the market through a low price-low wage approach. But when the economy starts to falter, what's the first thing that people cut back on?
On 24 Mar 2018 at 9:32am Lewes Diner wrote:
I don't eat out much but when I do I've preferred Lime Tree kitchen. Chef comes out and has a chat too. Also like The Swan - great burgers and their beef stew is delicious.
That said, The Swan has put it's food prices up by the look of it. Market forces I guess - as other pubs are often empty, tables at The Swan are generally full.
On 24 Mar 2018 at 4:49pm Clifford wrote:
I miss those days when everyone used to have a moan about Bill's on here. Nobody cares now it's just another faceless chain.
On 24 Mar 2018 at 5:23pm Local one wrote:
Went to Lewes arms the other day. Really good food which was a pleasant surprise as it never was before. Went again and it was even better. Must have finally found a good chef, hope he stays .
On 25 Mar 2018 at 11:01am Bob wrote:
Now. We have juggernauts blocking both sides of the High Street, whilst delivering meals to Ask Cote and Prezzo. Add a couple of coaches parked on the bus stop, as this week and is complete blockage.
On 26 Mar 2018 at 10:03am @Bob wrote:
We should enforce deliveries of juggernaut sized trucks at night only and set up appropriate drop off points on the outskirts of town for coaches (possibly at the bus stop by tescos roundabout). Furthermore, why do delivery drivers get away with pulling up outside the shop they're delivering to when it is on double yellows? There are loading bays designated. They should be using them - yes you may have to walk a bit.

On 29 Mar 2018 at 11:05pm Ok for me wrote:
Went to Aqua for first time last week for lunch and was quite impressed by the quality of the food and the service. Bit pricey, but ok for a special outing. Fuego has average food and terrible service, especially at weekends when staffed by school children. And it's always so noisy! Cote in Lewes not as good as the Brighton one. Hoping they'll get into the swing of things soon otherwise they'll be in trouble I fear. Another empty building to be turned into luxury flats.

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes centre of The Cosmos 64:132
Lewes centre of The Cosmos

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell