Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Anyone fancy Ultimate frisbee at Baxters?

On 25 Jul 2011 at 7:24pm julien wrote:
I want to start regular games of Ultimate Frisbee at Baxter's field on thursdays at 8pm for the summer (ie August). This is just for a bit of fun/exercise rather than anything seriously competitive. People just need to turn up with a dark and a light coloured T-shirt but I would like to know how many are coming as less than 6 would not make a game and over, say, 100 would get a bit crowded... so please email me if you want to join in: julien01273@gmail.com

On 25 Jul 2011 at 11:45pm No wrote:
There's a clue in my name...

On 26 Jul 2011 at 12:36am Dave wrote:
What is Ultimate frisbee?

On 26 Jul 2011 at 8:11am Vesbod wrote:
Is this a DFL game ?
On 26 Jul 2011 at 8:28am Toot wrote:
Why does it have to be a 'DFL game'? Because you've never heard of it?
Don't be ridiculous.
You're just behind the times my friend.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 9:55am Dixon wrote:
Sounds a great idea Julien. Nice to see something positive on this board. Will e-mail you re joining.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 12:11pm Newbie wrote:
I've always wanted to play it, no idea how to. Are complete noobs allowed?
Would the flat bits of The Paddock be better? Isn't Baxter's strictly private property?
+1 for something positive rather than moaning about DFLs and things that don't involve peas, dwyles, willow or string

On 26 Jul 2011 at 1:13pm Vesbod wrote:
I wasn't moaning about DFLs, I was wondering what the blinking heck this game was. AND, no, I'm not your friend Toot !
Baxter's Field belongs to the people of Lewes, does it not ?

On 26 Jul 2011 at 1:58pm Toot wrote:
Ah, but how do you know Vesbod? We might be friends in real life...
(I'll wait for the comments along the lines of "I don't associate with people that are rude like you" or somesuch - but I was only expressing surprise rather than trying to be rude.)

On 26 Jul 2011 at 2:28pm Southern Queen wrote:
Hmmm. If there's a negative point to be made you can bet on someone flinging the DFL epithet into the mix. Add a positive comment about a new enterprise in town and the atmosphere here becomes positively toxic.
A few months ago I commented on how good the Kings Head has become. I was immediately accused of being a stooge and/or member of staff, and the poor old Kings Head was slammed for being expensive/only for DFLs/not a patch on what had gone before/the wrong colour. I do still occasionally drop in here, but sadly nothing much has changed. Interestingly my opinion on the Kings Head has been thoroughly borne out by their listing on Trip Advisor, so perhaps I wasn't quite so far wide of the mark after all.
It's a shame really. A good local forum would be a welcome addition to the Lewes community.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 2:55pm Observer wrote:
£12 an hour to hire Baxter's field for a sporting event in the evening.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 6:18pm Vesbod wrote:
SQ, what exactly do you mean by "A good local forum would be a welcome addition to the Lewes community." ? are they not one and the same ? BTW, I used the DFL term slightly tongue in cheek, amazing how many sensitive souls we have out there - oh, and I'm not originally from Lewes, but not a DFL either !!

On 26 Jul 2011 at 6:47pm pedantic pedant wrote:
Oh the "it's tongue in cheek" card again.
Every single thread on this forum has this or the "you're so sensitive" remarks.
Webbo....about time this forum was dragged into the 21st century by having registrations before you can post.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 7:29pm MC wrote:
Couldn't agree more. This forum is entirely ruined by a small number of pillocks who vent their ugly prejudices and grudges under a cowardly series of ever changing user names.

They are the reason I and many others have mostly stopped using this forum.

Although a risk, IMHO registration is the way forward. I think a lack of backbiting idiots will encourage a wider variety of people to post and that this will enable the forum to flower in a way it can't at the moment.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 11:38pm Southover Queen wrote:
Interesting that I seem to have touched a nerve. MC and Pedantic Pedant: I'm willing to give it a go if you are. What we need is our own clique, clearly.
(Southover not Southern Queen - forgot my pseudonym for a moment there)

On 27 Jul 2011 at 4:08pm Belladonna wrote:
Baxters is owned by a group of residents who live surrounding it, but they bought it to keep it for the people of Lewes, and I was told, to prevent it being built on. They do have certain rules and regulations, but I can;t think that an informal game of frisbee would offend. And if it does then just nip down to the Paddock instead.

On 27 Jul 2011 at 4:38pm LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
forgive the complete newby - what is DFL?!!!!!!

On 27 Jul 2011 at 9:10pm TeDeum wrote:
Down From London.
Supposedly coined by one of the distinguished people who frequent this forum (although I have my doubts doubts that).

On 28 Jul 2011 at 8:45am DFL wrote:
Long may DFLs rule. There are more and more of us coming to Lewes becasue it's such a lovely town. Our aim is to further promote Lewes' greatness by getting rid of the odd moron that still lives here (but they are getting fewer).
Happy frisbee-ing !

On 28 Jul 2011 at 6:22pm LIVELOVELAUGH wrote:
thank you TeDeum. So does that mean people moving into the area that have no connection with it and pushing out the natives coz they can no longer afford it?!

On 28 Jul 2011 at 11:17pm TeDeum wrote:
Supposedly.

On 29 Jul 2011 at 10:57pm Jude wrote:
I first heard the term DFL about 20 years ago and in connection to people from London moving to Whitstable. Of course you never hear it in London.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes banners and crosses 58:132
Lewes banners and crosses

@TP - the lockdown is economically costly, but I can't even begin to think of the numbers of deaths that would have occurred had... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington