Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

And now for the good bits

On 19 Nov 2016 at 10:06am Shameus wrote:
Can anyone identify something positive about our "infrastructure" or something that is working well in our country - Great Britain. All we hear is Germany does it like this, Norway like that, and so on. After all, haven't we had more time and practice to make things better?
On 19 Nov 2016 at 3:24pm Clifford wrote:
One of the ironies of being 'the first industrial nation' Shameus was that it meant the UK was left behind with out-of-date industry and infrastructure (as well as the unwillingness since the 1980s to pay the tax that would keep the infrastructure up).
On 19 Nov 2016 at 3:36pm Pleb wrote:
We have weak infrastructure because the state is weak in certain areas. Most of us prefer it this way. States with great trains and motorway networks often get them by down grading the rights of individuals, landowners and opponents.
That's why England and the U.S. share certain deficiencies compared with typical European nations like France and Germany. To put it bluntly it is genetic.
On 19 Nov 2016 at 6:17pm A Person wrote:
The creative industries. We make very good tv and films, and we are the go-to option for a lot of Hollywood producers for CGI and special effects. There are similar successes in other parts of the sector. How much longer it will go on is anyone's guess, but at the moment the creative industries, taken as a whole, generate more than £80b for the UK.

Check it out here »
On 19 Nov 2016 at 6:39pm Fairmeadow wrote:
London's sewers are still amazing, despite in most cases being rather old, and they still work out in the provinces, though admittedly Sussex rivers are pretty grim as a result. My house gets a continuous flow of electricity, except after the wind blows unusually hard (we have overhead power lines). Gas and water are delivered when I turn on the relevant taps. The phone almost always works when I pick it up, and the broadband is a lot faster than it used to be. The schools mostly open when they say they will and provide decent education. Our universities are first class. Bin men turn up regularly, rain, shine or bank holiday, and take my rubbish and recycling away. Whoever clears up Lewes after Bonfire deserves a medal.
The bits that don't work as well as they used to (the roads, the trains, the health service, the availability of housing) are all overwhelmed by all the extra people trying to live in one crowded corner of England without those encouraging the population to balloon bothering to invest in the extra infrastructure needed. If we let this trend continue, these areas will get worse, and other aspects of infrastructure that are currently OK will also suffer.
We currently don't have enough hospital beds, for example. The brilliant solution being dreamed up by the Department of Health. Cut the number still further, to save money.
On 19 Nov 2016 at 7:25pm Clifford wrote:
Pleb wrote: 'That's why England and the U.S. share certain deficiencies compared with typical European nations like France and Germany. To put it bluntly it is genetic.'

Yes, you're obviously right. I mean, everyone knows there are no descendants of French or German people living in the US. Are you proud of your ignorance or don't you realise you are?
On 19 Nov 2016 at 8:57pm Pleb wrote:
Clifford, yes I am certainly more ignorant everyday but not proud of it. That is because there is no possibility of outpacing the flow of new information. In my experience the smartest people I know admit to ignorance about almost everything. I am not smart.
Having studied the list of those who signed the U.S. Constitution I don't see a single German or French sounding name. These founding fathers created the legal structure that has endured and all subsequent political activity has to function within these parameters. The rights of free english men.
Dude, do you even read de Toucqueville?
On 19 Nov 2016 at 9:18pm Tom Pain wrote:
A Person, you're right, roads are great in films and adverts,clear,sweeping avenues of wonder leading to heaven. Yes there's nothing wrong with our dreams but the roads we drive on are in a terrible state. That's because they want to privatise them. They did it with the railways. They are doing it with the NHS and everything they want to privatise. Let it rot a while then say oh how terrible only private enterprise is efficient etc,etc. Which reminds me of those huge sign boards that appeared on motorways a while back in their thousands that say don't go to sleep,don't drink or blink when driving. I thought it was just a favour owed to some sign making donor to the party. Now I'm of the opinion that they are there to recognize vehicles when pay to drive comes in and send an automatic bill.

On 21 Nov 2016 at 10:20pm wrote:
Let’s see I’ve got this right…. an underfunded infrastructure - underfunded everything, symbolises an advanced society?
Erm…. OK.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Ice Cream 68:132
Lewes Ice Cream

That's going to blight a lot of people's view across the Ouse. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine