Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Allotment Theft

12
1
On 8 Aug 2018 at 11:22pm Dunk wrote:
Dear all
My little girl's playhouse was stolen from our Lewes allotment the weekend before last- we think it was taken overnight on either the 28th, 29th or 30th July.
It is all a bit odd. The playhouse was wooden and would have been hard to move- it took two of us an hour to carry all the parts to my plot from the car park when we bought it a month ago. It had also been disassembled- screws removed and so forth- which requires tools and therefore planning. The base was, however, left behind as were all the contents including spades, a fork and various bits of gardening equipment. We were using it as a shed.
The playhouse was second hand and not worth a lot of money. We are stumped to explain the motivation for this theft. The allotments are not really visible from any public roads or paths.
I think I have attached a picture so if anyone has seen it pop up somewhere locally, or if you have any information, then please pop a reply on here or let Lewes police know.
Also, if anyone has any theories as to the motivation for this theft then I would be happy to hear them. I just can't explain why someone would do this.
Thank you for reading.


12
8
On 8 Aug 2018 at 11:27pm Spit or Swallow wrote:
It would probably help if you mentioned which site it was. Then it may jog a few memory’s as to wether any undesirables were seen lurking nearby
9
5
On 8 Aug 2018 at 11:36pm dunk wrote:
Fair point- it was Haredean which is by the stables near the A27. The one on the left as you drive towards the roundabout from the prison. The playhouse was nearly 6 foot tall so would have needed a van to move it.
22
17
On 9 Aug 2018 at 12:30am P.c john wrote:
now with a family and there caravans
12
7
On 9 Aug 2018 at 6:49am jojo wrote:
A month or two ago I had a very heavy pot with flowers removed from the front of my house. It must of taken two people to lift it, and a car to take it away. I think I heard two people outside the house at around 3 am- I am still cross about it. Grrrr.
28
18
On 9 Aug 2018 at 8:06am stop it wrote:
Will people please stop typing MUST OF, COULD OF, WOULD OF and SHOULD OF. It makes no sense. Thank you.
24
7
On 9 Aug 2018 at 9:06am Pedant wrote:
The verb is "have". As in "should've". Never "of", which is not a verb.
19
26
On 9 Aug 2018 at 9:39am Guy wrote:
Once again a serious post is ended by the grammar police. Don't you have anything better to do? How is you picking at someone's writing contributing to them finding information about this theft? Idiots.
13
7
On 9 Aug 2018 at 9:46am Fawkes wrote:
As long as there's Fawking eejits with pi$$ poor spelling. There will be those who lampoon them. It's better than Suduko as a pastime
12
9
On 9 Aug 2018 at 11:36am Local Resident wrote:
At risk of provoking the politically correct element on here who always defend them, in the past the stables near to those allotments have been targeted by the Traveller community, so it is likely that the same undesirable element know of, and periodically check the allotments for 'desirable items'.
As you say, removing something that size requires planning, but with a few electric screwdrivers, a flatbed/van and two or three people I doubt it took them very long to have it away.
I assume the allotments are accessible 24/7, so they may well have removed it at a time when few people would be about. Equally they may simply have removed it in broad daylight on basis that if they looked like they had a right to be doing so few people would think of challenging them.
A sad reflection on today's society I fear, even a child's play house is seen as 'thievable'...
9
11
On 9 Aug 2018 at 12:22pm Amos De Iddlecoy wrote:
It'd be OK if they used it as a toilet when they park up. Instead of smearing everywhere.
6
5
On 9 Aug 2018 at 5:31pm Guy wrote:
I remember hearing someone in.my dad's shed years ago I shot him in the neck with air rifle and would do the same again
6
7
On 9 Aug 2018 at 8:46pm @Dunk wrote:
Hi Dunk,
I'm really sorry this happened to you. But although you say it wasn't worth much, actually these playhouses are expensive to buy new. Mine is exactly the same as the one in your picture and I paid £500 for it (new) a couple of years ago. So it was stolen because they are expensive to buy. There's a big demand for them too.
The thieves either stole it because they want it for their own child, or they stole it in order to sell it on as a 2nd hand item. Even if they only could £50 or £100 for it, that's £50 or £100 they didn't have before they nicked it.
I don't think there's anything mysterious about it. You've been burgled from your allotment in the same way people get burgled from their sheds, garages, work vans and homes.
I'm sorry it's happened.
(BTW lots of criminals visit those locked up under Her Majesty's Service in the building just up the road from your allotment.)
7
4
On 9 Aug 2018 at 10:33pm Under Her Majesty's .... wrote:
It's not ..............it's At Her Majesty's Pleasure.
2
2
On 10 Aug 2018 at 6:59pm HMPS wrote:
Her Majesty's Prison SERVICE.
Not Pleasure.

Check it out here »


22 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix 48:143
It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix

Have you paid to advertise this? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams