Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

All PCC election candidates on Rocket tomorrow

On 30 Oct 2012 at 6:53pm Rocket Man wrote:
All of the candidates for the Police and Crime Commissioner elections for Sussex will be on Up with Dino and Ruth on Rocket FM tomorrow morning, from 7am to 9am.
What questions would you like us to put to them?

On 30 Oct 2012 at 7:57pm Simon Turner wrote:
1) Will they be encouraging more police on the beat (on foot and bicycle), especially at night and in areas known for problems (such as the Pells, near pubs at closing time at w/e etc)?

2) Will they be encouraging the police to arrest those who use fireworks in the street?

3) How would they want the police to tackle abuse of soft drugs such as cannabis?

4) Do they think that political and therefore partisan candidates for the role of Police and Crime Commissioner is a good idea? Why?
On 30 Oct 2012 at 8:05pm Noise wrote:
Will they get the police to do anything about all the Chavvy Corsa's and motorbikes with no silencers which scream around Lewes disturbing the peace?

On 30 Oct 2012 at 9:52pm steve watts wrote:
Perhaps if we ignore them they might just go away !

On 30 Oct 2012 at 9:53pm Rocket Man wrote:
Great questions Simon, thanks, we will try to put some to the candidates.
On 30 Oct 2012 at 10:22pm the old mayor wrote:
Did you know spoiled ballot papers are counted ? Non votes are not.

On 30 Oct 2012 at 11:35pm Southover Queen wrote:
How will a commissioner balance what the community perceives are the urgent needs and what the police themselves feel is important? A spate of minor but annoying episodes of anti-social behaviour or an fairly invisible drug dealer or conman: where would they want to see police attention concentrated and how will they decide?

How will the successful candidate feel if they are elected by a tiny minority of the voting public? Will they feel that they have a valid mandate?

On 31 Oct 2012 at 12:25am Castle Gate wrote:
@Southover Queen ?? May I amplify what I believe you are saying? (Please assassinate me if I'm wrong!)
Let's just spoil the ballots, and simultaneously (and vitally) invoke the legal "big guns" to insist that all candidates be removed from the popular, unqualified, vote and instead given a rigorous interview as is right for such a position, and have their qualifications assessed by the authorities who have been, already, voted into place? Any one of us who wishes to become a police officer must match certain standards laid out by the police forces and by our elected governments. Likewlse, let a candidate for PCC first clear all the normal police officer hurdles: and then be challenged by a common selection process as any public officer must clear. For example, do we ever directly vote for our local senior fire brigade officers? Or our teachers?

On 31 Oct 2012 at 1:25am PC McGarry Number 452 wrote:
What role do they think party politics plays in effective policing?
How are the candidates expecting a mandate when there has been so little publicity/awareness of their manifestos (assuming that they do have one?)
What level of turnout would they find acceptable to be voted in by?
Do they think that police morale is low in Sussex? If so do they understand why this might be and what steps will they take to improve it?
Given that the Fifth is the biggest annual event on the Sussex Police calendar, what do they really think of Bonfire? Are they committed to maintaining traditions or do they wish to see it altered to reflect changing police resources?
How do they feel qualified to be PCC for Sussex if they have never served as a poiice officer?
What *one* thing do they want to change/implement/stop which they feel will see the biggest benefit to policing in the county?

On 31 Oct 2012 at 8:12am Proud wrote:
@PC 452. I would guess pride is vastly bigger . As all leave is cancelled, and it runs from Friday to Sunday , just an observation

On 31 Oct 2012 at 10:03am Southover Queen wrote:
@Castlegate: we don't vote for fire chiefs or teachers because that would be silly. We trust the process because you need particular qualities, experience and knowledge to do those jobs properly. The fact is that voting for police commissioners is silly and much more besides: in fact, it's a ludicrous political gimmick *pretending* to give "ordinary people" more say. The fact is that "ordinary people" don't have a clue about managing resources or priorities (and neither should we) and I certainly don't want someone interfering in those decisions in my name. I absolutely don't want that interference to be further influenced by political allegiances of any colour. We might as well sign over the whole police service to the Daily Mail.

I think PC 452's question about police morale is an important one. From personal experience I know it's at rock bottom, and that could be very serious indeed. We already ask the impossible of our police officers, most of whom do the job because there's a big vocational element. Lose that motivation and you're in serious trouble because what's left is altogether less savoury. It just isn't going to be improved by wheeling in some chump with no relevant experience who tells 'em what to do...

On 31 Oct 2012 at 9:13pm Ed Can Do wrote:
So what questions got asked and what were the answers?

On 1 Nov 2012 at 6:11am mickyboy wrote:
a bit late but PC McGarry Number 452 get your facts straight the UKip candiate was a serving met officer for 30 years, he then became the worthing BC taxi officer. cabbies will tell you he was very firm and generally fair, but they couldnt stand his attitude and were pleased to see him go.

On 1 Nov 2012 at 6:54am Phfellow2004 wrote:
It is a pity that I missed the radio programme and so I am unaware of what was said. My feeling is that whoever is elected will surround him or herself with a Team of expertise almost certainly including former senior police officers. I would expect that we will see that the Team will be very much in touch with the policing needs of the whole of Sussex and far more approachable than the Police Authority.
For me, the financial competency and general business acumen of the candidate elected will be of paramount importance after all there is an annual budget of some £250m to manage. I would suggest that the CVs of each Candidate are carefully examined and then certainly weight your voting decision for the one who has successfully demonstrated financial skills.
Voters may have to look very hard!

On 1 Nov 2012 at 6:28pm rocket man wrote:
Hopefully you will be in luck, Phfellow2004: we now have a Listen Again function on the Rocket FM website. We will try to get all the interviews up on the site in the next day or two. www.rocketfm.org.uk

On 2 Nov 2012 at 8:28am Pets wrote:
What is rocket fm and how is it paid for?

On 2 Nov 2012 at 3:14pm Rocket Man wrote:
Rocket FM is a community radio station which has operated for the last 12 years, on a seasonal basis, in the run-up to Lewes bonfire. It is operated by a group of volunteers and paid for by sponsorship and advertising from local businesses. More information is on our website, www.rocketfm.org.uk

On 12 Nov 2012 at 3:09pm The Greek wrote:
Where can i find the interviews?

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Homeward bound 44:132
Homeward bound

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo