Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Accident at earwig?

On 23 Nov 2013 at 9:54am Tipex wrote:
Anyone heard anything about the cyclist hit at earwig corner yesterday? They ok?
On 23 Nov 2013 at 12:46pm lewes born and bred wrote:
Unconfirmed but heard it was fatal
On 23 Nov 2013 at 12:52pm lewes born and bred wrote:
A million apologies, just read this on the Argus website. However, as it's the Argus, anything could've happened really
5:07pm
We are hearing that the A26 crash is fortunately only a minor incident between a bicycle and car with no serious injuries reported.
On 23 Nov 2013 at 8:29pm Gaynor Gould wrote:
Another crap ESCC Highways junction - something they excel at!
On 23 Nov 2013 at 9:11pm lewes born and bred wrote:
It's been there for decades Gaynor. Nothing to do with the junction, blame the motorists.
On 24 Nov 2013 at 7:44pm turnips wrote:
Divert the Ringmer road down to the A26 at a new mini roundabout either at the far end of the allotments or taking out the furthest allotments (sorry about that folks). You could also then use that last bit of the road to Earwig corner just for cyclists.
On 24 Nov 2013 at 8:37pm Deelite 2 wrote:
That's a great idea. The earwig corner junction is no longer fit for purpose.
On 24 Nov 2013 at 8:51pm Bradley wrote:
God forbid it might actually be the cyclists fault !
On 24 Nov 2013 at 8:54pm Peasant wrote:
Problem is the level difference makes diverting the Ringmer road very expensive. And, of course, it is in the National Park, and roundabouts have to be lit, creating light pollution visible from Uckfield. They put a lot of effort into improving Earwig Corner 20 years ago, and couldn't come up with anything affordable that worked. They are promising a new study, but don't hold your breath.
On 24 Nov 2013 at 9:27pm IPSGA wrote:
There's nothing wrong with the poxy junction - thousands of road users manage to negotiate it safely everyday. Road junctions never cause accidents, it's always driver error - whether you're in a car or on a bike.

On 24 Nov 2013 at 9:54pm Old Malling wrote:
It would probably work to continue the A26 in a straight line along the back of the allotments until it joins the ringmer road. Put a roundabout there and use the Ringmer road to lewes. The redundant part of A26 could then be parking for the allotments. Alternatively finish the cycle path and get bikes offthe road. Bikes and busy junctions tend not to mix well.

On 25 Nov 2013 at 6:33am Fred wrote:
I have negotiated Earwig twice a day for at least ten years and never had any problems. You do have to be aware of cyclist filtering down the near side though. A much more dangerous junction is the Spital Road/Nevill Road junction, which is really difficult at peak times, especially in vehicles with restricted vision. It really could do with a yellow box there.
On 25 Nov 2013 at 3:26pm Driver wrote:
I drive to Ringmerand back from Lewes every day and I've certainly never had a problem at Earwig Corner. I actually find you get the most helpful and friendly drivers there and never have to wait for long before someone coming from Uckfield lets me across in the morning. The road to Ringmer is plenty wide enough to pass cyclists before you get to the cycle path too. The only issues I've ever had with cyclists on that road was once when a cyclist reached the end of the cycle path and just pulled straight onto the road about two metres in front of me without looking which could have been messy if I hadn't seen him coming and had a feeling he was about to do something dumb and the other day when someone was cycling towards Ringmer in the dark in the road wearing all black with no lights on and no amount of changing road layouts is going to stop people doing dumb stuff like that. The corner is fine, people just need to be a bit more patient. It would also help if people turning right towards Uckfield from Ringmer would actually use the little extra bit of road to do it but that's not a maneuver people make very often.
On 25 Nov 2013 at 3:37pm Townie wrote:
Can't believe we have one minor prang in over a century and people want to re-route half of Sussex. FFS
On 25 Nov 2013 at 6:57pm Old Malling wrote:
If you look on crashmap.co.uk, it seems to be 12 accidents in 5 years - mostly slight, one serious. I guess there are probably many worse junctions out there.
On 25 Nov 2013 at 10:39pm Ed Can Do wrote:
If I was in a position to change any junctions round here my first choice would be turning right towards Offham comoing up the Offham Road which has to be the dodgiest turning in town by far. My second choice would be putting a mini-roundabout on the junction of Orchard Road and Malling Hill which would have the public safety benefit of slowing cars down on Malling Hill to something approaching 30 mph and the more personal benefit of making it possible to turn right out of Orchard Road when there's a hint of traffic about, rather than taking the longer but generally less time-consuming route past the Police HQ, down Mayhew Way, past the sorting office and up past Tesco.

On 26 Nov 2013 at 2:25pm Deelite 2 wrote:
Yes, the Offham road junction, that is a bad one.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the road from the station car park. I use this to exit onto Station Street most days of the week and each time it takes a leap of faith.

On 26 Nov 2013 at 8:57pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I never have cause to use the station car park so I never have to negotiate that junction.

On 27 Nov 2013 at 12:01pm Deelite 2 wrote:
Lucky you. I work on Station Street and live in a LD village with no train line and few buses, so needs must.

On 27 Nov 2013 at 11:58pm Bongo wrote:
The worst ever junction is just outside Lewes -the Glynde turning on the A27. If you're in a van and driving right onto the A27 following the marked guidelines in the road, there is no way at all you can see the traffic to the left of you. The only way you can safely do this is by driving straight through the right turn filter lane for traffic turning into Glynde. Total nightmare!
I've posted a birds eye view of it:

Check it out here »

17 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes winged messenger 90:132
Lewes winged messenger

Just save me the bother and explain how this undermines current scientific consensus on climate change. Your previous recommended... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG