Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Accident at Spital Rd/Nevill Rd

On 4 Mar 2014 at 5:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Waiting for the prison lights tonight, I saw an ambulance a little way up Nevill Road and all the traffic trying to go north was turning round and coming back down.
By the time I'd done a detour past county hall and down Ireland's Lane, I could hear more sirens heading that way.
I really hope that no-one is badly hurt. That is such a dodgy junction, with poor visibility coming out of Spital Road, that I approach it very carefully in case someone gets too impatient to edge out until they can see properly.

On 4 Mar 2014 at 8:35pm edtheplumber wrote:
VERY Concerned, We arrived just after. I suspect Silver car driver edged out too far to see if it was clear (looking left to traffic lights) and was slammed by someone in a pickup (maybe) headed south. Spun hard enough to spin them around 180 degrees. Think they must have been going over 30mph as the hit car wasn't small. It didn't look fatal, but it must have been quite an impact.

On 5 Mar 2014 at 8:19am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I have to say, I'm not surprised. You really have to be careful there as it's completely blind to the left until you're out quite a long way when there is queueing traffic southbound.
I've often wondered if it would be possible to have a mirror on the other side, to help drivers see better.
If I'm coming up the hill, I generally give way to drivers trying to get out, as I know how difficult it is.
Maybe some good can come of this, and the traffic planners can find a way of making it safer. Maybe a mini-roundabout would help, although generally I'm not a fan of them.

On 5 Mar 2014 at 9:18am grinch wrote:
Highways in Sussex are sh|t - no ifs, no buts! Quote: "please get whoever put that mirror up to take it down as they'll be liable if there is an accident! This on a similar blind junction in the district.
Turning right into Nevill road requires you to wait for the traffic coming south to stop then position yourself to the right to look south (towards the prison) before proceeding. It's not blind unless you 'go for it' which is probably what happened here...
Don't get me started on the stupid junction by the bus station - vans and trucks coming down Little East Street have to give way to the left (opposite of a roundabout's priorities) which means they cannot see due to the sides of their vehicle blocking their view. Apparently we need a fatality or two for that to get 'fixed'!!!

On 6 Mar 2014 at 7:42am Sussex Jim wrote:
Perhaps we heed a change of priority, like that recently introduced at the junction of Fisher and West Streets. Or a long yellow box marking across the end of Spital Road, to allow greater visibility.
I have taken to turning right at the Prison crossroads now, when leaving town.

On 6 Mar 2014 at 11:00am Southover Queen wrote:
Lewes is absolutely littered with dangerous junctions - just thinking of Southover, there's the exit from Rotten Row onto the High St, where you just have to bank on people not doing double the speed limit through the bottleneck; there's the exit onto Southover High St from St Pancras Road, where you have to block the entire east going lane before you can see whether it's safe to exit, and you need to use some of the west lane's turf to make the turn. Cleve Terrace onto the Course and both Cleve Terrace exits onto St Pancras Rd are all bad too, the first severely exacerbated by yummy mummies parking on the junctions to pick up their kids.

The Spital Rd junction is also terrifying. I think Jim's right: a yellow box would be a great addition because the biggest problem there is restricted visibility due to stationary traffic. It's remarkable that the Lewes isn't decimated by pedestrian and driver injuries, given the paucity of safe crossings and managed junctions.

On 6 Mar 2014 at 4:41pm L plate wrote:
All accidents a due to driver error , and being on the road all do I see some and yes I guess I contribute at times , driving standards a really poor I'm all for a re test every 5 years
On 6 Mar 2014 at 4:50pm Ed Can Do wrote:
If anyone knows the owner of a silver Toyota RAV4 with a number plate starting X55 can you please let them know the bulbs have gone in their indicators? I follwed it right through town the other day and they didn't come on once, despite the driver making a number of turns that would have required their use. I'd hate for someone to get in trouble for something as trivial as blown indicator bulbs.
On 6 Mar 2014 at 5:58pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I check all side lights before driving after dark.I have a quick look at the tyres every morning I am driving, before going off. And the alignment of the mirrors. It takes about two minutes. If you are in a rush in the mornings, do it in the previous evening.
I also replace all bulbs once a year,at the onset of autumn. It costs about 20, including the headlights, if you buy from a sensible source. And of course, wipe your lenses clean daily,even if you do not wash your car.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Ice Cream 68:132
Lewes Ice Cream

Thanks man, I'll head off to the Malvinas,still unacountably above the waves. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine