Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

A better forum than this...

9
12
On 8 Sep 2015 at 9:52pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Having experienced the best that this forum has to offer, I wonder if there might be space for a more moderated forum, where personal attacks and bigotry are better controlled?
Or does the 'Lewes' Facebook group already provide this?
15
5
On 8 Sep 2015 at 10:13pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The trouble with the Lewes Farcebook group is that it's on Farcebook.
18
3
On 8 Sep 2015 at 10:14pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
This forum is a classic case if "Be careful what you wish for..." i.e free speech and democracy. But I think it's quite instructive to know what people are really thinking. It would be boring to be surrounded by lots of like-minded people, all of whom were being reasonable. What I regard as bigotry might be someon else's idea of truth, so I'd rather debate with them than silence them. The fact that people bother to come on the forum and express an opinion, however unpopular, is something that we should celebrate.
10
8
On 8 Sep 2015 at 10:21pm Newell Fisher wrote:
I agree that honestly expressed opinions are a welcome thing. However, if that is clouded by personal abuse then it becomes a non debate.
Similarly, a reasoned argument against, say, immigration or gay marriage is rendered incapable of further progress by any expression of blatant racism or homophobia.
14
9
On 8 Sep 2015 at 10:42pm Belladonna wrote:
Unfortunately Newell you are running up against what many of us have experienced on the forum, personal attacks - some of which can become quite threatening. Many good people no longer contribute to the forum because of this type of bullying. I no longer post much because of the nastiness.
6
10
On 8 Sep 2015 at 10:47pm Newell Fisher wrote:
I know. Fortunately these days i am made of the kind of stuff that is able to cope with such threats from cowards.
So then.. How about a better forum with proper moderation?
11
3
On 8 Sep 2015 at 11:01pm wrote:
Belladonna have you really read all that Newell has contributed just recently?
I usually abstain from the Forum. I don't like the bullying tactics of a certain minority, but I think it a shame to make this Forum like the one from 'Farcebook' like ACT describes.
26
3
On 8 Sep 2015 at 11:03pm webbo wrote:
If you don't like it Nevell why do you spend so much time here?
14
7
On 9 Sep 2015 at 5:55am townie wrote:
My honestly expressed opinion is that you're a complete tool, Fisher. Shut the door on your way out to facebook.
16
2
On 9 Sep 2015 at 7:24am Taff wrote:
Better still forget all forums and go to the pub and have conversation face to face. A couple of pints will be a bonus too.
4
2
On 9 Sep 2015 at 10:20am Clifford wrote:
I enjoy the racist, homophobic and just downright moronic abuse on here. It doesn't do to have a too optimistic view of the Lewes population.
4
 
On 9 Sep 2015 at 10:21am Mavis wrote:
yep Taff, but there's always a boor even in the Pub !
8
2
On 9 Sep 2015 at 10:46am trooper wrote:
Some while ago it was suggested that contributors to the Forum could have a "get together, face to face". Given the level of invective that is posted here one can only imagine what that occasion might turn out to be. Just a thought !!! the Forum seems to be in excellent health and I for one say long long may it continue.
2
1
On 9 Sep 2015 at 11:00am HeathClifford wrote:
The point about it being lightly unmoderated is that people can say what they really think without that horrible veneer of politeness. I like that! If you don't like personal attacks then post under an alias like everyone else does, then it's the power and reasoning of your argument that will matter. It's very liberating.
2
 
On 9 Sep 2015 at 11:58am Cathy wrote:
Oh Heathclifford you are masterful.
6
2
On 9 Sep 2015 at 12:41pm Depressed/Fragile wrote:
I've posted several times and had nothing but support and honest advice...
2
 
On 9 Sep 2015 at 1:10pm Curtis le may wrote:
Isn't the whole point that people can express ideas they wouldn't dare to voice in open society. Assuming people are familiar with larping and sock puppets ( if not google them) then seeing how others react to extreme views is highly instructive.
One response is to immediately call for external action to remove wrong think from being visible. Another response is general ridicule and snark. In society shunning works very well. I would be very wary of voicing some of my observations in public because those around me would be unable to agree without risk to their employment.
3
 
On 9 Sep 2015 at 2:34pm Mr Fitzwilliam Darcy wrote:
That Ms Elizabeth Bennet is a one!
I would like to give her a spanking what say you, don't you agree?
Oh polite society.. Utter Hodgepodge!
3
 
On 9 Sep 2015 at 3:20pm Ms Shrub wrote:
Oh Cathy Please Come Home
11
3
On 9 Sep 2015 at 4:36pm The Twister wrote:
I for one would not want to see this forum "moderated". What a depressingly tedious term. Obviously without "moderation" there is always the slight discomfort of having to listen to the bigoted, narrow minded views of the occasional idiot. but - so what ? That's life !
2
2
On 10 Sep 2015 at 6:08pm Sue wrote:
Unfortunately the idiots are more than 'occasional' if there's something that relates to migrants etc. And before someone more macho than me hiding behind their anonymity tells me to 'man up', or 'grow some' I should point out that that is impossible without surgery ; ) Honestly, visitors to Lewes would think we're still living in the stone ages! Sometimes you have to make a stand against bigots or nothing changes... I like the idea of free speech, but just ignoring bigotry, or trying to 'educate' isn't always the solution. It's good that some of you are do not want a proper moderator, but you're hardly in any of the groups that are being attacked, are you.
4
1
On 10 Sep 2015 at 6:19pm trooper wrote:
@ Twister and Sue. Jolly good posts, I was going to post but you have both said it all. Hurrah for free speech and the Lewes Forum UNMODERATED.


15 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Cliffe Tableau Sepp Blatter 26:132
Cliffe Tableau Sepp Blatter

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams