Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

4x4s - and NO parking attendants

On 9 Mar 2007 at 9:57pm Maddy wrote:
I was SO cross on my tramp up Station Hill this evening - as I had to walk in the road THREE time to get round 4x4s that were parked on double yellows - and pavements. What is it with 4x4 drivers - is it not enough that we choke on the clouds of pollutants their huge hulks emit without endangering ourselves by having to walk in the road so they can park on the PAVEMENTS??
It's the same every night outside the Indian on Fisher Street.
Lewes is an old town with narrow streets and narrow pavements - buy a smaller car or walk to the takeaway you arrogant idiots!

On 10 Mar 2007 at 1:35pm Andy wrote:
Yet no one ever complains about Bills taking up most of the pavement just over the bridge with boxes of fruit and loads of cr@p all over the place !!!!!!!!!

On 10 Mar 2007 at 1:58pm Madge wrote:
I have to say that is dangerous outside Bills they have no consideration for elderly or disabled who have to negotiate the area outside that shop. Can anyone explain why they are allowed to get away with that and who would be liable should someone fall and injure themselves? They used to use the area outside Argos too but clearly someone eventually put a stop to that.

On 10 Mar 2007 at 7:57pm MC wrote:
Weren't you carrying your keys... ?
MC

On 11 Mar 2007 at 12:17am The Super K wrote:
Deadly against 4X4 though, nowhere in this country do you need one. The road system is good enough not to need them.
Up the tax on them and get them off our roads.

On 11 Mar 2007 at 3:33pm coolspot blue Coat wrote:
The only thing you can do with fishers street is to make the council aware of the situation by writing a letter, we try outr best but have a large area to cover as you will appreciate.
When we walk down a road people know that they get a five minute observation before a ticket is issued unless there causing an obstruction so wait till they see us and move till we move to the next street.
only solution i can think of is a ban between during the day, so you can't stop when it's busy but will allow for loading and unloading around those times.
As for bills we are having the same problem as you as we are also pedestrians, The people to talk to is the enviromatal agency as it's a health hazard.
Sorry i could be of anymore help.

On 11 Mar 2007 at 3:49pm Andy wrote:
There's a lot of things we don't NEED but sometimes, people may feel they've worked hard enough and WANT something like a 4x4.
People don't NEED foreign holidays but they WANT to go abroad.
People don't NEED to buy houses but they WANT to be a homeowner
Get where i'm coming from !!!

On 11 Mar 2007 at 3:53pm Andy wrote:
Just one question to coolspot blue coat....why is it ok to give a 5 minute observation before issuing a ticket in normal circumstances but to issue one immediately if there's an obstruction.
By issuing a ticket to the obstruction, it's not going to get the obstruction moved any quicker.
PS....i know you only have a job to do and the rules are set by the top brass.

On 11 Mar 2007 at 4:01pm Chav wrote:
Nice job you and your mates did at the boot sale this morning. It took 5 minutes to issue 12 tickets on cars parked both down the side of Waitrose and on the grass up by the exit. 720 for 5 minutes work. Oh how I wish I was Mr NCP.
Mind you, the car owners must of got some nice bargains, haha

On 11 Mar 2007 at 4:08pm Andy wrote:
Hey chav.....it's soooooooooo simple. If people parked legally, they wouldn't get a ticket would they ? There is no arguement. Park in Tesco and walk over the road....are people too lazy to do that ???
It's like all the people up in arms about speed cameras being a money pit. Well if everyone stuck to the speed limit, they wouldn't get a penny would they ???
Simple

On 11 Mar 2007 at 5:28pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
I've complained countless times on this forum about the nice little greengrocers at the foot of Olde Cliffe Bridgee and the posers that sit in the road (worth a ticket surely) drinking coffee while 4 x 4 road tax payers swerve around them.
PhilX

On 11 Mar 2007 at 5:31pm I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
Are you seriously telling us that the council doesn't know what going on in the streets of Lewes??
Next you'll be expecting us to believe that parking attendants are beneficial to the status quo...
LOL
PhilX

On 11 Mar 2007 at 6:05pm SHS wrote:
Which is worse: (a) a 4X4 that's used less than once every two weeks, (b) a small-engined car that's used once or twice every day or (c) a big lorry coming through the narrow street of Lewes every day?
For me, (c) is worst followed closely by (b) then the least harmful is (c). Regardless of vehicle owned, some people have absolutely no consideration for others and will always park on the pavement. Personally I think all pavements in Lewes should be widened and steel bollards placed along the edge nearest the road. Most roads would then be too narrow for big lorries and local businesses would have to ask suppliers to deliver in smaller vehicles. Pedestrians would be safe.
But 4x4s aren't the problem, it's the frequency and type of use - some of us walk or cycle any distance up to 40 minutes away, others take the car for anything more than 5 minutes' walk, which is plain ridiculous.

On 11 Mar 2007 at 7:36pm coolspot blue Coat wrote:
Replying to Andys question.
A five minute observation (the most common) say if you were buying a pay and display ticket, the machines aren't all miles away.
Also your getting a permit, waiver, visiter resident permit etc. so we will look to see if anyone stands. And before anyone says it not to issue a dodge sneaky ticket lol.
An instant ticket is issued to a vehicle parked where it's not ment to be like a bike bay, bus stop, loading ban (cliffe high street bridge) no one can park, load or wait there. sorry
Expired pay and display tickets. You will get a good deal for one of these, if your ticket runs out at say 10:00 you will get till 10:05 till we can give you a five minute observation so the ticket can't be issued till 10:10, after the ticket has been expired for 10 minutes it turns into an instant ticket.
Basically you have no longer than 10 mins to get back to your can.
Ncp does as told by the council.
Hope this helps

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Thomas Paine woz ere 134:143
Thomas Paine woz ere

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington