Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Throwing fireworks in the street 5/11

On 10 Oct 2012 at 3:38pm David wrote:
Lets hope the police will actively arrest Lewes yobs from the societies who throw fireworks on 5/11. Two people blinded last year in Lewes? They quite openly throw bangers around after lighting them with glowing strings hanging down. I think its their badge of shame. Ive asked the Head of Sussex Police to arrest these people or account for the police forces lack of action. These swaggering, illiterates need stopping before someone is killed. Please dont tell me that they arent from the societies because I watch them go by and the same old bunch of overweight middle aged types do it every year.
On 10 Oct 2012 at 3:48pm PC Copper wrote:
Are they wearing stripey jumpers and carrying burning torches?
Sometimes they disguise themselves by not carrying torches or by wearing captains hats but it doesn't fool us not for a minute.
There have been sightings of them on Cliffe Bridge at weekends but they always scarper before we get there.
There are the smugglers we have been looking for these past 12 month, If you see one of them phone the police straight away.
On 10 Oct 2012 at 3:50pm David wrote:
A typical moronic response from one who values his sight no doubt and cares nothing for others........
On 10 Oct 2012 at 4:08pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Good show David. I shall also be contacting the Head of Sussex Police to demand the arrest of anyone openly throwing bangers around, particularly those who throw them after lighting them with glowing strings hanging down.

On 10 Oct 2012 at 4:09pm fishy wrote:
Hi David,
If you plan on coming to enjoy the festivities please follow the safety advice below.
Also remember that not all people enjoy the same thing and tolerance is a wonderful virtue

Check it out here »
On 10 Oct 2012 at 4:18pm man wrote:
David, will you also be demanding the arrest of or account of police lack of action for:
- Every person seen drinking in the street in Lewes throughout the year, and especially on bonfire night.
- Every person who drives their car at more than the speed limit
- Every person who parks on a double yellow line
- Every person who cycles the wrong way down a one way street
- Every person who allows their dog to fowl the footway
I think the head of Sussex Police has better things to think about, than you.
Follow the link...
Should we be banning trousers, socks, leaves, tea cosies...... I think not.

Check it out here »
On 10 Oct 2012 at 4:39pm boots wrote:
I think David must be bored and decided to see if he can troll on the Lewes forum.
On 10 Oct 2012 at 4:49pm Penguin wrote:
@Dave, you say 'These swaggering, illiterates need stopping before someone is killed. Please dont tell me that they arent from the societies because I watch them go by and the same old bunch of overweight middle aged types do it every year.'
If you see them doing it every year, and it is as dangerous, and potentially deadly as you seem to think, then why on earth do you continue to attend? This could equally qualify as the typical moronic action of one who does not values his sight!
On 10 Oct 2012 at 5:05pm Ahem wrote:
The child who was blinded in one eye did not make a conscious decision to attend, though.
On 10 Oct 2012 at 5:31pm someone else wrote:
I sometimes wonder whether there's an internet forum in Pamplona where anonymous nutjobs suggest stopping the running of the bulls, in case someone gets hurt. And I wonder whether there's an internet forum in Siena where anonymous nutjobs suggest running Il Palio without horses, in case someone gets hurt. And I wonder whether there's an internet forum in Monaco where anonymous nutjobs suggest that F1 drivers should stick to the speed limit, in case someone gets hurt.

And then I decide I really don't care.

Yrs, a swaggering, illiterate, overweight middle-aged rookie thrower (with two degrees).

On 10 Oct 2012 at 5:31pm Penguin wrote:
I am not saying they did.
However, I am only saying that Dave has consciously, willingly and repeatedly placed himself in a situation that he claims to carry a risk of blinding and potentially death. Is that the behaviour of a responsible man? Maybe Dave even takes his children along, who knows?

On 10 Oct 2012 at 5:36pm Curious wrote:
@Ahem - I am aware that a woman's eye was injured, but when was a child blinded? Did this actually happen?. Not defending anyone or accusing anyone by asking this question, just curious.
On 10 Oct 2012 at 5:40pm David wrote:
I live here so dont choose to attend...........2 degrees is irrelevant - blindness is not. Why cant the fatties just enjoy themselves, drink loads, have a dozen burgers, disgust their wives, ooh and aah over the pretty fireworks and not pretend that they are pirates? Juat dont throw dangerous objects around - its really quite simple - specially for the ones who claim to have 2 degrees (seriously nobody gives a rats arse)
On 10 Oct 2012 at 5:46pm someone else wrote:
Your arrogance, dear David, is to state that all 4000 members of the Lewes societies are 'illiterates'. I rather suspect you may be something of an imbecile yourself.

It's really quite simple. You've been warned that it's dangerous and you've said that you don't attend. Whether it is dangerous or not is, I'm afraid, none of your business.

On 10 Oct 2012 at 5:49pm someone else wrote:
Or even 'any of your business'.
On 10 Oct 2012 at 5:58pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Lol @ David's view of the literacy of bonfire boys, when his own post is riddled with grammatical errors.
And living in town doesn't mean your attendance at bonfire is enfolrced, David. You could just stay in on the 5th and spend the evening trolling internet forums.

On 10 Oct 2012 at 6:55pm someone else again wrote:
There's nothing particularly unreasonable in not wanting to have these dangerous rookies being thrown around on the 5th is there?
I am from Lewes, I am a member of a society.
On 10 Oct 2012 at 6:58pm middleclassandabitsmug wrote:
Sorry, quite simply, it can't carry on.
Here's the medical report. This will be taken very seriously I'm sure and the 'authorities' may be deemed negligent if they don't act on this.
We can all enjoy bonfire without the bangs and many will enjoy it more.

Check it out here »

On 10 Oct 2012 at 7:10pm Dave wrote:
Its a very good job every bonfire society has banned the use of the blue rookies in question.
I just hope they can get enough of the safer red ones

On 10 Oct 2012 at 7:27pm Bruciare il Papa wrote:
Can't wait to see the street vendors cashing in on selling eye protection!
Also looking forward to the publicity surrounding the inclusion of radioactive material in those nauseating carnival accessories that blight the street each year.

On 10 Oct 2012 at 7:40pm Nelson wrote:
David did you take note of the bit that said wheelchairs are a no no , I think not is this a bit of guilt ?

On 10 Oct 2012 at 9:02pm bonfire till i die wrote:
ok how long have we all been in bonfire. i will start 53years
On 10 Oct 2012 at 10:33pm rebel wrote:
If you dont like being hit with rookies ,f**k off and stay away, its all about the free-loading public, your not welcome, you dont bring anything to the town. Ops yes you do ,cheap booze and rookies to throw around, its ok we will take the blame again. GENERAL PUBLIC YOU ARE TRYING TO KILL THIS TRADITION ,STAY AWAY!

On 10 Oct 2012 at 10:47pm Sir Pompngton wrote:
Lock the gates, burn the station to the ground and don't let any of those yobs in i say!
On 11 Oct 2012 at 12:14am someone else again wrote:
I like lots of tourist coming to the town. All to watch me of course. I still think dangerous rookies should be banned

On 11 Oct 2012 at 12:52am rebel wrote:
yea watch me ,what like sir jim hhmm, watching rookies, more like the the kids, now then, now then,hows about then, got to be a phoneix member!
On 11 Oct 2012 at 8:31am Cathy wrote:
David is right regarding the type of person who does this. Women and the genuine members dont throw them. It is the type that David describes that do.

On 11 Oct 2012 at 8:33am John wrote:
Grammar? Serious injury? Lets think - which is important and which is ridiculous.
Go David. Im going to video the law breakers this year.
On 11 Oct 2012 at 8:49am In the know wrote:
If you don't like bonfire - stay indoors.
If a child does not have a choice - don't be an irresponsible parent, leave them at home or stay there yourself.
Don't bring wheelchairs, pushchairs or dogs!
If a child does want to go - buy some safety glasses and ear defenders.
Lewes Bonfire Council gives very specific safety information as I hope you have seen in Fishys reply.
The Bonfire Societies asked the Police to visit the "rookie" outlets back in July - they did not do it so until the end of September - if there are already "blues" out there it is not the Bonfire Societies fault. We are doing our best to get the message out to our members. Percys the fishing shop is selling them and has been approached many times by Bonfire people and police but couldn't care less - they are not interested in safety just profit! We would all appreciate it David if you would pop down there are have a word for us, maybe that way you could actually make a difference.
And don't be so ignorant - not all bonfire people are illiterate, beer swilling, fat, wear smugglers costumes, or DROP ROOKIES. I am none of these and this kind of stereotyping immediately dissipates any credibility or sympathy you may have had Dave!

On 11 Oct 2012 at 9:44am Ahem wrote:
I think some in Lewes need to realise that traditions change and evolve with time - at least the ones that survive do.
There isn't a single tradition in this country that is the same as a hundred years ago; and in a hundred years' time they will look very different to today.
The 'child' referred to upthread was a 13-year old, blinded in one eye.

On 11 Oct 2012 at 9:54am someone else wrote:
Yes, ahem. And as many members have repeatedly pointed out, the injuries were caused last year by blues, and blues have been banned this year.

There's your change.

BTW this 'someone else again' isn't me.
On 11 Oct 2012 at 9:57am David wrote:
Its so simple - the societies need to clamp down on the rogue element.
The rest of the comments about grammar and 53 years huff puff etc etc .
Cobblers -its about serious injuries that could be easily avoided and its straight back to the rats arse for the upset people.

On 11 Oct 2012 at 10:11am Enoch wrote:
Ahem - I know all about the "child" and I would have thought for legal/insurance reasons you should not be discussing specifics. We are all sincerely sorry about this happening and also to the lady who has also been injured. However, without having an individual to blame you cannot say for definite it was not a member of the public throwing a rookie into the bonfire members from the other side of the road (just a general observation as most people who got hit cannot say who threw the rookie). Yes things do change and yes they are changing. Once upon a time there were "old fashioned" rookies in cardboard tubes which were folded at the ends - the company stopped making them. We had traditional bangers and these were banned by Government. If you ban things they will just go underground and people will get what they can from wherever they can - at the moment all that is available are the red or blue rookies. Rather than being argumentative or abusive on a forum try to work with people rather than against. You want an outright ban of all fireworks - the bonfire community don't - try to meet somewhere in the middle and find out why.

On 11 Oct 2012 at 12:05pm Ed Can Do wrote:
That report is inaccurate anyway, stating as it does that using rookies from strings is a new phenomenon. I was using rookies of this sort when I was at school, nearly twenty years ago and I doubt it was a new thing then. You'd think a journal like the BMJ would check their facts before going to print.

Anyway, this is a silly argument to keep going over. Those who are anti-bangers will continue to spout the same old nonsense year after year, steadfastly refusing to acknowledge that it's not society members who are irresponsible with rookies or that the societies have taken action by banning the blues. Just ignore them and rely on the fact that the socieites do do everything reasonable to keep people safe, remember that the safest place is normally in the procession so if you're concerned, join a society and above all, consider the logistics of arresting every single person in the procession who lets off a banger or drinks in the street and realise that's exactly why the police will never, ever do anything about it.

On 11 Oct 2012 at 7:24pm Student wrote:
Excuse me, but it is a very small number of people that actually injure others from societies, most of us take caution and are just looking to carry on a 400 year tradition. If you do not like bonfire night, or do not want to take any risks, stay at home

On 11 Oct 2012 at 7:29pm Bonfire Gal wrote:
excuse me David, i think insults such as 'fat' and 'illiterate' sink your argument to an unnecessarily personal level. I am a member of a bonfire society and i am in no way fat and i take A level history - do not generalise, it is very very rude. p.s. you will never win this battle because all true Lewisians absolutely love bonfire night and are well aware of the hazards. Live a little!

On 11 Oct 2012 at 7:45pm BonfireLAD wrote:
I can tell you what will happen with your video idea John, members will go back to blackening their faces and pulling up their neckchiefs. It has been said many times and will be said many times again, if you do not like the 400 year old tradition (that has more right in this town then you or any of us EVER will) then lock your doors and wrap yourself up in cotton wool. Even better act like a man and not like a sap.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Starfish Studios Lewes 109:132
Starfish Studios Lewes

New highly rated management. 2 very good new players signed already and plenty more to come. This season could be very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams