Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

This Thread Is For True Lewesians Only (No DFLS)

On 8 Oct 2009 at 9:22pm efflic wrote:
Four weeks tonight, yes just four weeks to go untill the best night of the year,BONFIRE NIGHT.
Proper Lewes people doing a proper Lewes thing.
Can't wait.

On 8 Oct 2009 at 9:51pm Smiler wrote:
Light the blue touch paper and wait for Spongebob...

On 8 Oct 2009 at 10:05pm Brainlessbelle wrote:
Oh please please please please please please please let me join in pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. (I'm not desperate to be accepted you know)

On 9 Oct 2009 at 7:47am Me wrote:
You can, it's called SBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 9 Oct 2009 at 8:44am Down and Out wrote:
Say it loud, I'm Down (FL) and I'm proud.
And I'm marching on the 5th, and not for SBS.
We're everywhere, efflic, and we're taking over. Think of it like an episode of 'V'.

On 9 Oct 2009 at 10:18am Brixtonbelle wrote:
Yeah yeah - please don't use my name - find your own if you are Lewes and proud. Any more posts from 'Brixtonbelle' on this thread are not from the true 'Brixtonbelle'.

On 9 Oct 2009 at 11:58am Fan of Brainlessbelle wrote:
How funny! Your namesake is a 'nause'

On 9 Oct 2009 at 12:17pm The Real Brixtonbelle wrote:
I've just got my black and red rugby shirt off ebay, can I wear pale jeans with it or do they have to be white? Black and red is the cliffe, isn't it?

On 9 Oct 2009 at 12:20pm The Real Brixtonbelle wrote:
Forgot to ask, where can I get some 'crowies'. Can't find any on the 'net.

On 9 Oct 2009 at 1:26pm Commuter wrote:
Umm... no black and white is Cliffe

On 9 Oct 2009 at 1:59pm Lets Do Lunch! wrote:
Black & Red is also the colours of Newick BS and Dennis the Menace

On 9 Oct 2009 at 2:45pm Down and Out wrote:
BTW efflic are you sure you're Real Lewes? I thought 'Bonfire Night' was never called that round these parts. It's just 'Bonfire', surely? As in 'Jeremy and Lucinda are coming down from London to stay with us for Bonfire'.
3/10 to Commuter for failing to spot a fairly blatant mickey-take!

On 9 Oct 2009 at 6:01pm Floe wrote:
Will this event affect my pilates, creative writing and art classes?

On 9 Oct 2009 at 6:09pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Blimey Floe. Are they all on the 5th? You are a busy man / lady! No, Bonfire will not prevent you from enjoying any of those activities. Just check with your usual class teacher to confirm.
And yes, I have seen through your irony, Floe. Just getting somewhat hacked off with the whole insider / outsider attitude that is developing on this board. Not particularly healthy, IMO.

On 9 Oct 2009 at 6:16pm Floe wrote:
Phew, you had me hanging there CH!

On 9 Oct 2009 at 6:38pm ProudDFL wrote:
I'll be staying in London after work to make sure I miss it.

On 9 Oct 2009 at 6:46pm Jeremy and Lucinda wrote:
You can buy crowies in Flints, they come in a lovely hand painted box, with a hand written price tag, seved in lovely paper carrier so you won't drop any on the fifth. £178 a gross, but I may be wrong.

On 9 Oct 2009 at 7:51pm Jailbird wrote:
I've been detained at HMP for 50 years. Do I count as true Lewesian yet ?

On 9 Oct 2009 at 8:28pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Yes, I reckon so Jailbird. Come and join in the fun on the 5th. I'll even buy you a pint in the Gardeners. Oh no ... how thoughtless of me. Sorry. Does your room come with a view?

On 9 Oct 2009 at 11:03pm Jailbird wrote:
At last I'm in with the in-crowd. Reckon I'm a true insider if ever there was one.

On 10 Oct 2009 at 8:45am Lewesian wrote:
A true Lewesian does not always have to like bonfire.

On 10 Oct 2009 at 9:13am spongebob wrote:
Apparently, we do.

On 10 Oct 2009 at 2:57pm Prick Stein wrote:
True Lewesians live for Bonfire!

On 11 Oct 2009 at 8:31am Lewes the colour wrote:
A true Lewesian would die for Bonfire

On 11 Oct 2009 at 8:40am spongebob wrote:
would you like to borrow a knife ?

On 11 Oct 2009 at 9:00am Lewesian wrote:
So if you live and die for bonfire, then surely you must support terrorism?

On 11 Oct 2009 at 2:04pm Jocasta wrote:
That shop opposite the Cafe Zero (Laurels?) has some lovely crowies done up in Cath Kidston prints with ribbon instead of string at the end. They're really pretty, and only £99.99 a dozen.
They're mostly pastel colours though, so wouldn't go with the black and red. Is there a pink & white bonfire society?

On 12 Oct 2009 at 8:26am Mad Bob wrote:
Yep, Waterloo

On 12 Oct 2009 at 1:44pm upton wrote:
I have 2 true lewesian children as in they were actually born here! we are a bonfire family. myself was born the day after uckfeild 1973. But to me the night is getting totally ruined by that daft woman at the memorial and her loud speaker!!! Not sure if I will bother this year after all this road closure hoo ha either. let us police ourselves I say and let the outsiders stay outside!!

On 12 Oct 2009 at 6:00pm Bonfire Escape wrote:
Or even better Upton, why have anyone watch it at all? Shut the town off to all outsiders, the locals can stay indoors in the warm so all you bonfire folk can just do your thing and march up and down with your bangers. Not worth watching any more anyway. It's all getting a bit 'samey'.

On 13 Oct 2009 at 8:28am Prick Stein wrote:
Great idea Bonfire Escape, Bonfire for Lewesians only.

On 13 Oct 2009 at 10:01am Penguin wrote:
There is a strange idea amongst a lot of 'anti-bonfire' people that by no-one turning up to watch on the 5th, it would all be a waste of time and we would stop doing it. Quite the contrary. The best part of the 5th, is when all of the out of towners have gone home and there is no-one left on the streets apart from the Bonfire societies and a handful of locals. The last processions, certainly the Cliffe, and I suspect the others as well, are a real celebration of the spirit of Lewes Bonfire. I say stay away, close the roads and cancel the trains...you would be doing us a favour.

On 13 Oct 2009 at 5:46pm Bonfire Escape wrote:
Prick Stein..... I meant locals stay indoors as well!!!
Penguin... I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy it as much if there were no crowds to watch you. You're a hypocrite when you say you enjoyed it when there was just a handful of locals - what a load of b****cks! Can you imagine marching up school hill with completely empty pavements? Not quite the same adrenaline rush.

On 13 Oct 2009 at 8:00pm Guido wrote:
hi guys
i take outsiders arent welcome to march either ?????
or am i wrong. Can outsiders march ???

On 14 Oct 2009 at 7:27am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
You have to be a member of a bonfire society. Some of them are quite difficult to join now, Cliffe and Commercial Square (I think I'm right about CSBS) have both had to cap their membership to stop the society getting too big.

On 14 Oct 2009 at 7:37am Alexander lemming wrote:
You are right about Commercial, i think like the Cliffe they capped it at round about a thousand members.

On 14 Oct 2009 at 10:02am Penguin wrote:
Bonfire Escape..that is exactly what I am saying. You obviously have no idea. Just ask any Bonfire Boy or Girl worth their salt. There are those of course who treat Bonfire as some kind of ego trip, but essentially Bonfire night is not put on for the benefit of the spectators - they are on the whole an inconvenience. We do it because we want to do it. You go out on Bonfire Night and watch the last procession of the Cliffe down to their Bonfire Prayers, see the difference for yourself, and then tell us which is more of an adrenalin rush. As for it being 'samey', what do you expect a traditional event to be ?

On 14 Oct 2009 at 1:30pm Alexander lemming wrote:
The vast majority of bonfire society members would agree wholeheartedly with everything Penguin has said. That Bonfire is not put on for the benefit of spectators is a concept that some people seem to really struggle with for some reason. Its not hypocritical or b*****ks, its just plain and simple truth.

On 14 Oct 2009 at 5:34pm Bonfire Escape wrote:
So if there were no spectators, then how would the societies make their vast amounts of money from collections at the gates of the displays, huh? You say the public are a pain in the arse yet you are happy to take their money. How is that not hypocritical?!!!

On 14 Oct 2009 at 8:02pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Some of the loss would be offset by savings in security, fencing etc. If the displays were open to members only, and therefore private, they might be able to save their huge public liability premiums as well. The rest would have to be offset by savings elsewhere and more fundraising.
A lot of bonfire people aren't too fussed about the displasy themselves. For many, it's taking the streets and the remembrance ceremonies that are the important bit of the night.

On 14 Oct 2009 at 10:49pm Bonfire Escape wrote:
But surely the societies would still need public liability insurance for parading in the street?

On 15 Oct 2009 at 8:02am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Possibly, but I can't quite see why. In any event, the premiums would surely be a lot lower than for a firework display.

On 15 Oct 2009 at 11:39am Penguin wrote:
It is only in recent years that societies have charged for entering their firesites. Before that the whole evening was available completely free to anyone. They managed then by relying on members subscriptions and their fund raising activities throughout the year. I guess that they could do the same again now if the fireworks displays were reduced back to what they were and they didnt have such added expenses as crowd control and security.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

The Lewes Crest 118:132
The Lewes Crest

Get a cat? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington
Brighton Jobs