Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

This Is What I Saw

41
33
On 12 Dec 2017 at 10:33pm Serious wrote:
Leaving town after Xmas drinks on Friday at midnight, I saw a silent man in a sleeping bag holding his knees against his chest with his head bowed down looking at the ground, huddled under a doorway for shelter round the back of Fuego. He was tucked away from passing people, not on a main street. He saw me walk past but said nothing to me. He did not make eye contact. He was not begging.
It was bitterly freezing cold. Cold enough to cause hypothermia.
For all the cold hearted anti-homeless people on here, do not tell me that this man 'chose' to be there rather than in his 'home'.
He had no home.
You are liars.
You are spinning conspiracy theories so that your conscience feels better; so that you can justify the abject horror that is real in your town; so that you can sleep easy at night.
To every person on this forum that refuses to believe homeless people don't have a home and that the problem of homelessness is not real in Lewes, I have one message to you: You are perpetuating the problem with your viscious denial, and for that, you are pure evil.
40
20
On 13 Dec 2017 at 6:38am Lewes bloke. wrote:
And presumably you took him home and gave him a warm bed for the night, roast dinner, long hot bath etc etc?.....or did you just walk past on your way home to "serious towers"?
11
24
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:07am Mark wrote:
Queue another day of venal spite on Lewes Forum.
38
15
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:16am Billy wrote:
Serious, there is no doubt that there are some genuine homeless. However, their plight is somewhat hijacked by others who have homes but choose to spend their days on the street begging in order to buy drinks, cigarettes and other drugs.
21
19
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:22am Deja Vu wrote:
A heart breaking story indeed, I pay my taxes so that this doesn't happen. Why not email your story to the council and the press, what's the point of telling us here? Who's the evil one, the one who saw it and walked off (you) or those of us that didn't see it?
11
20
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:35am Bleedin Heart wrote:
Was he off his face on drugs?
14
12
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:54am Bert wrote:
Watch Love and Drugs on the Street on BBC I-player BBC 3.
Might be informative to you. All about Brighton's homeless, typically biased though, i.e. No explanation as to why 'they 'lose' their hostel place' that is provided, another doesn't like being given a flat in Newhaven, away from all her 'friends' .
30
13
On 13 Dec 2017 at 8:22am once homeless wrote:
I was once homeless, I slept rough a couple of nights but managed to sofa surf a bit and door knocked offering to carry out work. went to building sites offering labour.
Within a month I had enough money to put a deposit on a flat and was back on my feet.
I didn't drink or do drugs. I focused on solving the problem.
I am sorry but I don't have sympathy for some of these people as they don't seem to be trying to solve their problem.
Also with Homelessness figures in sussex doubling in the last 6 years there seems to be a huge that our community is ignoring.
Lewes is an incredibly wealthy town and full of people who pretend to be caring of foxes and not letting people get offended but none of these people will actually house a homeless person or a refugee.
How many empty bedrooms are their in this town?
All that empty space in the Phoenix estate too. we could easily use those buildings for the winter and dress them up and provide shelter and meals for the homeless throughout the winter.
but... instead we'll just write woeful platitudes online and walk away from our keyboards feeling righteous.
2
8
On 13 Dec 2017 at 8:24am @ Mark wrote:
A queue of mercenaries ? I never had you down as an illiteratus. I had to thumb you down for that. Kind regards.
8
11
On 13 Dec 2017 at 9:37am Mark wrote:
Apologies @mark. I hadn't had coffee yet. I spelt "cue" wrong. The venal spite is coming thick and fast now though. Mostly grumpy old retired blokes, I'ld imagine.
6
10
On 13 Dec 2017 at 9:54am Jester wrote:
You spelt I'd wrong too. Maybe one more cup
31
13
On 13 Dec 2017 at 10:10am Serious wrote:
I didn't just see him and walk off.
You have jumped to that assumption because that is what you would have done.
I didn't post my message from my keyboard and then feel righteous. I'd have to be a pretty shallow person to consider posting on the Lewes forum as doing enough for that man.
I'm not on here to preach to you all about what I did do to help, or who I've written to since. I don't want to tell you about myself; I want to tell you about the man I saw.
Because to you he is a nameless, faceless man who has no reason to be there. But he is a human being who had a legitimate story as to why he was there when he does not deserve to be.
The fact that so many of you have instantly jumped to conclusions about what I did or didn't do proves beyond doubt how judgemental you are.
And that, I suppose, is the ultimate problem.
9
10
On 13 Dec 2017 at 10:12am Don’t care wrote:
Cool story bro
7
7
On 13 Dec 2017 at 12:04pm Cliff I Streat wrote:
Christmas time, Mistletoe and wine
Children singing Christian rhyme.
With logs on the fire and gifts on the tree
A time to rejoice in the good that we see.
Spare a thought for the homeless this Xmas.
14
12
On 13 Dec 2017 at 12:19pm Deja Vu wrote:
@Serious, so what did you do then, did your spare change keep him warm, or did you invite him home for a hot meal and a warm bed?
You don't want to say, but your general tone towards others is so appalling I think you should justify it by sharing the actions that you took to help this lost soul.
How ironic that you say "The fact that so many of you have instantly jumped to conclusions about what I did or didn't do proves beyond doubt how judgemental you are.", isn't judging us exactly what you're doing?
The majority of judgemental people have made the clear distinction between "beggars" and "homeless", the vast majority of the beggars there during the day GO HOME AT NIGHT.
The remaining ones that are genuinely homeless deserve all the help in the world, I don't think anyone disputes this.
19
12
On 13 Dec 2017 at 12:58pm Pedro wrote:
The trouble with smearing homeless people in general (which some of the posts in this thread basically is, in an indirect, or maybe subtle way), irrespective of their motives and intentions (genuine desperation, or greed), is that society becomes less caring towards them and increases apathy. The thought that any compassion and donation COULD possibly end up in the wrong hands, may lead some people to just walking by and assuming they'll probably be ok as someone else behind them will help, or they are probably just a fraudster who only needs it to buy more tins of lager so they can drink back at their paid-for 24 bedroom council home, in front of their 4k giant tv's (probably cackling away at the "mugs" from a hot tub, while their wild exotic siberian tiger purrs in the corner). They are undoubtedly a problem, and it should be addressed, but this shouldn't impact those with genuine need in the meantime, and its a tragedy when they fall through the cracks because society looks on with suspicion and cynicism.

My advice, and my "strategy" is to just continue as is, and donate to those asking for help - sometimes randomly, sometimes with an unqualified eye and potentially flawed judgement. If that means funding a lager or heroin addiction in some cases, then so be it....these people, while maybe not in desperate poverty with no roof over their heads nor food, have their own huge challenges in their lives, and I hope they eventually resolve them through addiction clinics, support counselling and medication. However, if it means money also happens to go to the right people as well then its still very much worth it.

@Serious. Well done for raising this important issue. I'm not shocked that you have encountered intense skepticism and cynical attitudes from others here, this is the sad unfortunate state we live in today, but you have also received plenty of support for your comments that outweigh the noisy critics who see enemies far more than they see friends. I won't let their issues and paranoia compromise my own compassion.
6
3
On 13 Dec 2017 at 1:14pm Victorian Values wrote:
are what the Tories are about - and that's what we're seeing. Minus the Cadburys and Barnados
12
4
On 13 Dec 2017 at 2:09pm Victorian wrote:
Well good. We should still have workhouses and conscription...that would sort out the idle pot heads.
17
6
On 13 Dec 2017 at 3:34pm Bert wrote:
Most people on the street are there because that's where they choose to be. What money they get they prefer to spend on drink and drugs.
Not me saying that.
But I did hear John Bird of Big Issue fame say exactly that. As he said then unpalatable for some but the truth nonetheless.
I'm wondering if anyone on here, especially those making all the proclamations, have ever worked in housing or with the homeless.
9
8
On 13 Dec 2017 at 4:06pm Deja Vu wrote:
Oh Pedro, you ruin a perfectly good argument by being stupid.
No one has suggested they have 24 bedroom houses and watch a 4k TV from a Jacuzzi.
But it's definitely NOT irrespective of their motives and intentions, if they intend to get smashed out their head they're not doing it on my hard earned money.
We all know the ultimate solution is to turn more green field over to developers, build a lot more house (like 3-5 million more) and bring the housing/rental market back to affordable levels.
According to your previous posts benefit cuts are in part to blame for homelessness, I would disagree, it's down to record high rental costs and the only solution to this is to built more (a lot more).
7
7
On 13 Dec 2017 at 4:12pm Billy wrote:
"Individual and relational factors apply to the personal circumstances of a homeless person, and may include: traumatic events (e.g. house fire or job loss), personal crisis (e.g. family break-up or domestic violence), mental health and addictions challenges (including brain injury and fetal alcohol syndrome), which can be both a cause and consequence of homelessness and physical health problems or disabilities. Relational problems can include family violence and abuse, addictions, and mental health problems of other family members and extreme poverty." - As well as a shortage of housing and benefits cuts.
2
3
On 13 Dec 2017 at 4:17pm Bert wrote:
Well naturally i haven't worked in the sector, im just passing my days
5
8
On 13 Dec 2017 at 4:40pm Mark wrote:
@Jester "I'ld" is a rather old-fashioned contraction for "I would". It has largely fallen out of use but its use is not an error.
14
7
On 13 Dec 2017 at 4:51pm Feline wrote:
I have worked with homeless people and putting a roof over their head is often the easy bit. Most of them are very damaged people for all kinds of reasons and they need support to readjust to what we think as normal life. I have known people leave their flats and go back living on the street because that is where they have friends and get support from soup runs etc. Many were in care as children, often have been in prison or the armed services and don't have family support. With the men they usually have lost their job and consequently their relationship and then there home. Of course drink and drugs are often involved, once they are on the street if not before. I could tell you all some fascinating stories of some of the individuals I've met. A proportion of them can be very difficult and unpleasant, bit then so can some greedy selfish successful people so I don't think that demonstrates anything much.
2
2
On 13 Dec 2017 at 5:16pm Billy wrote:
Feline, I agree with everything you say. Do you have a view of what the biggest underlying cause of these breakdowns is?
3
3
On 13 Dec 2017 at 5:51pm Bert wrote:
Drink and drugs
11
3
On 13 Dec 2017 at 6:27pm Feline wrote:
Many of them had difficult childhoods. That is the fundamental issue for most people who struggle. This is where we need to concentrate societies support. Bringing up children is the bedrock of society.
4
9
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:00pm Bert wrote:
Ban divorce then ?
6
6
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:16pm once homeless wrote:
Stop all this molly coddling of children and encouraging victimhood then maybe some of these people will wake up and take control of their lives.
Then we can focus on the few left with real problems and help them.
But is anyone for spending a coupe of days busting open a building down the phoenix and getting some stuff together to make a more comfortable space them? It'l get those grubby sheets and mattresses off our streets and give them a place to sleep out of the rain and we can get some needle bins in there too to stop them being left in public spaces.
6
2
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:18pm Feline wrote:
I do think people need to think harder before they have children. They just don't seem to realise what a massive life change it is having them. I'm sick of hearing people moan about it. Perhaps because we don't live in extended families any more they don't have any experience of what having a child entails. But that may change now with the pressure on housing.
13
4
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:19pm Mrs Davis wrote:
@Bert
Don't you understand Bert, drink and drugs come AFTER the problems, not the other way round. They have terrible problems and so they turn to drink and drugs to relieve themselves of their problems, but then unfortunately they get addicted.
These people aren't on the streets because of drink/drugs. They are on drink/drugs because of being on the street.
I'm a pensioner, and even I understand that!
My dad fought in the war, came back a changed man, turned to drink and drugs as a way to cope with what he'd been through, to blot out the memories of what he'd seen. Then we lost our home and stayed with relatives, so lucky we were never on the street but if we had had no family or family that didn't care then we would've been on the street.
I worked at a homeless shelter a few years back as it was a subject close to my heart and, although they hadn't been through a world war like my Dad, they all had what these days is called PTS syndrome. They had their own different reasons and a common reason was witnessing a war in their own homes when they were young mites. I'm talking about witnessing domestic violence.
If a young lad grows up watching his mum getting beaten black and blue as well as getting lashed out at himself, he isn't going to grow up to be a stable young lad is he. Religion is sadly dwindling in our society nowadays but in my day people acted as Christians and helped out people who fell on hard times. We helped each other out back then.
4
6
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:28pm Bert wrote:
@Mrs Davis - my partner spent a lifetime working in housing and homeless and I also spent a number of years doing the same.
Drink and drugs don't generally come after they generally come before.
We're both pensioners and that's our experience.
5
3
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:41pm Landporter wrote:
There is a very true statement .....you're only 3 paydays away from being homeless. Quite a sobering thought.
11
6
On 13 Dec 2017 at 7:43pm Mrs Davis wrote:
Dear Bert,
What I'm trying to say is drink/drugs come after a problem they've experienced in their lives. I'm not saying it comes before being homeless necessarily (although in some cases it does).
1) Serious problem in life. Cannot be overcome.
2) Turn to drink/drugs for psychogical and mental relief.
3) Lose job. Lose home. Become homeless.
4) Keep taking drink/drugs to cope with loss of family, job, home.
Not hard Bert, not hard.
4
1
On 13 Dec 2017 at 8:40pm Feline wrote:
Let us all look at ourselves and how we deal with our feelings through drink, drugs?, watching mindless television...let's recognise our shared psychology. I can't function without caffeine. I'm lucky.

2
8
On 13 Dec 2017 at 8:51pm Bert wrote:
I'm confused ?
5
5
On 13 Dec 2017 at 9:05pm Coke fiend wrote:
Even the windbag pedro cant get thru life without his fix


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Kingston Windmill 51:132
Kingston Windmill

Sloanes - very much a Browns type brasserie, all day drinks and food. We’ll conceived, but woefully managed and underfunded.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine