Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

The post under your real name challenge

6
6
On 4 Aug 2015 at 8:51pm Newell Fisher wrote:
It is the easiest thing on the internet to post toxic bile under an assumed name, as I know all too well.
So here's a challenge: try posting to this supposed community forum in your own name. In other words, try being held accountable for what you say.
It's an interesting exercise
1
4
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:10pm Mike Best wrote:
That sounds great but wouldn't it be better to stay an anonymous keyboard warrior spouting reactionary incendiary drivel? ... In fairness people manage to have similar childish arguments on Facebook or twitter, knowing who the person is, that they would never have face to face.
3
9
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:13pm Tweedle dum wrote:
What an odd post , it ain't gonna happen , pretend your from frozen , " let it go "
1
 
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:19pm Janet wrote:
I think get all the usual suspects, who p*ss or bore a lot of people, together in person (especially the ones who use the forum to vent their personal frustration or egomania in a nasty way because they can be anonymous!) They could have a sort of Lewes Forum 'It's a knock-out' contest?! Most trolls aren't that clever or funny are they, just predictable.
3
1
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:20pm Norman Thunder Bottom wrote:
How dare you!
3
4
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:20pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Easy for you to say from behind a mask of anonymity Tweedle
2
2
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:23pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Yes Mike, but this is, supposedly, a LOCAL forum. What value is there in hiding behind masks as you vent bile at members of your own community?
2
2
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:24pm Janet wrote:
Good name tho ' Norman ; )
4
1
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:24pm Tweedle dee wrote:
You have just set yourself up for it mate , is there nothing on the telly box
4
 
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:26pm Mike Best wrote:
I completely agree, I was being sarcastic
It really is a shame there's so much childishness, I dont mind a good full blown argument if that's how you feel but it doens't really count for anything if you hide behind the name.
It also does nothing for people moving to the area giving an impression of what it's like!
(Norman, we're sorry, we didnt realise that was your real name!)
2
2
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:29pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Mike: LIKE
1
5
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:31pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Tweedle: I am watching the telly box as I type.
Bring it.....
1
2
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:33pm Tweedle dee wrote:
How do I know that is in fact your real name ? And if it is as you say , I still don't know you only on here spouting off , so you knowing my name is much use to you unless you want to find me and start some sort of , well I don't know ,
3
1
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:36pm Maria wrote:
About as much use as a chocolate teapot...
4
 
On 4 Aug 2015 at 9:36pm Norman Thunder Bottom wrote:
Thanks Mike, it's been a curse all my life and for us Thunderbottoms :-(
 
3
On 4 Aug 2015 at 10:40pm Angela Fisher. wrote:
Oh Maria pipes up again, or is it Jane......
 
3
On 4 Aug 2015 at 10:41pm Angela Fisher. wrote:
Come to think of it, Maria's comment is too intelligent for Jane. There again, she probably gets one of her minions to write it......
2
2
On 4 Aug 2015 at 10:42pm Clifford wrote:
It is my real name. My real middle name, which I don't tell people. Does that count? Can I carry on merrily abusing?
3
1
On 4 Aug 2015 at 10:45pm Nick Name wrote:
Great idea Newell.
4
2
On 4 Aug 2015 at 11:19pm Old Bloke wrote:
Find it hard to believe that anyone could have a name like Newell Fisher
2
4
On 5 Aug 2015 at 1:29am Newell Fisher wrote:
Well old bloke, that just displays your cultural myopia.
2
2
On 5 Aug 2015 at 3:44am Lopster wrote:
More people know me by this name than that I was christened with.
I maintain therefore that I have always used my "real" name on this forum.
12
1
On 5 Aug 2015 at 4:21am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I don't use my real name because my work brings me into contact with lots of local residents and I don't really want them to know what I think about anything and everything.
For me, it's a question of professional boundaries.
But then I don't tend to post "toxic bile", either.
6
 
On 5 Aug 2015 at 6:34am Clifford wrote:
'George Orwell' wasn't the writer's real name. 'John le Carre' isn't the writer's real name. And so on. Mind you, neither of them come on here calling other people idiots because they disagree with them, or come out with bully-boy racist garbage.
2
3
On 5 Aug 2015 at 6:39am Newell Fisher wrote:
Yes Clifford, but we still knew who they were.
 
1
On 5 Aug 2015 at 6:50am Tweedle dee wrote:
No you didn't , again I don't know you or want to , or any of our other posting friends , if you play nice there's no need to,
4
 
On 5 Aug 2015 at 8:26am Humbert wrote:
My real name (Dame Marmaduke Bertrand von Chomley-Humbertinggrunterpants) won't fit, so I just use my school nickname.
1
2
On 5 Aug 2015 at 9:19am Nick Name wrote:
I used to suffer from cultural myopia, but my doctor gave me a cream for it and it's fine now.
1
1
On 5 Aug 2015 at 9:37am Kettle wrote:
My real name is kettle.
1
 
On 5 Aug 2015 at 9:55am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Does Mr Pott call you black?
3
 
On 5 Aug 2015 at 10:51am Trooper wrote:
@ N Fisher. Novel idea but I feel that there could be some very unfortunate consequences. there will always be those who totally disagree with you and however your innocuous your post, may well seek you out and either confront you or commit some sort of damage to your property.I agree an interesting exercise but not practical, human nature is a dangerous creature. This is rather on the same lines as all the posters having a getting to know you meeting, really!!!!
3
 
On 5 Aug 2015 at 4:39pm Janet wrote:
I think abusive posts should be removed by a webmaster. It's fine to have a difference of opinion but some of the posts just seem abusive for the sake of it, and the racist cr*p is pathetic, that's not the town that I was proud to grow up in. All the local vs DFL stuff is really boring too, although understandable that people get fed up if they are priced out of their home town, but blame estate agents and property developers for changing the town and making it too expensive for most people to live in. Lewes has always had DFLs, just don't try to build a mini-London, I'm talking to greedy property developers here!
 
3
On 5 Aug 2015 at 4:59pm Newell Fisher wrote:
What a sad state of affairs if that is the reason not to post under your real name.
 
2
On 5 Aug 2015 at 5:01pm Newell Fisher wrote:
Tweedle dee:
Can I suggest you chill a little?
9
 
On 5 Aug 2015 at 5:53pm Jasper wrote:
Only an idiot would post in a virtually unmoderated forum under their real name. Users should be registered under a single usernane but anonymity kept. Threads categorised and a number if moderators appointed
1
5
On 5 Aug 2015 at 6:11pm Newell Fisher wrote:
An idiot huh? Care to expand?
9
3
On 5 Aug 2015 at 6:27pm Jasper wrote:
Idiot - noun
1. (old-fashioned, offensive) a person with severe mental retardation
2. a foolish or senseless person.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Ann of Cleves 2:132
Ann of Cleves

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde