Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Sussex district 88

On 13 Nov 2011 at 10:15pm Firebrigade wrote:
The real reasons for bonfire have been mentioned on here, and at the request of a friend I thought I would enlighten those in the dark. To the lewes members of Sussex district 88 of the orange order the bonfire is about being able to display their incendiary sectarian hatred in a very public manner in an atmosphere that is intimidating and threatening to the extent that the police cannot intervene. The bigots are showing what they see as their strength and right to persecute Catholics. This is not just about commemorating history it is about keeping bigotry and sectarianism alive in england. It is disgusting to any reasonable person despite all attempts to dismiss criticism as anti tradition or fun. This is not about fun it is organised bigotry that ropes in the ignorant who like the spectacle and don't know they are being exploited. The act of settlement is going and so is your bonfire Sussex district 88!
On 13 Nov 2011 at 10:52pm Another skint ex celeb wrote:
I assume you need to stand up when you speak. Otherwise you are muffled
On 13 Nov 2011 at 10:56pm Firebrigade wrote:
I guess it's a point you don't want to stick to or address properly. Well I never now that's a surprise!
On 13 Nov 2011 at 11:32pm BTP wrote:
I think you'll very probably find that the percentage of members of all the Bonfire Societies who take against Catholics is no different from the percentage in the wider public
On 13 Nov 2011 at 11:49pm The Pope wrote:
My God - even by the standards of this forum the madmen are taking over the asylum.
"at the request of a friend"?!! The reasoning is even more barking than the belief.
Care in the community has another failure!
On 13 Nov 2011 at 11:53pm Firebrigade wrote:
Rubbish. Anti Catholicism in England has no significant foothold beyond the northern Irish and Scottish immigrant community and rangers fc supporters clubs. Lewes is one of the few places in the south to have an orange lodge and orange websites have many links to cliffe bonfire society, see Manchester orange order website for example. At least you are not denying your bigotry and orange order manipulation and involvement of bonfire. Let's see how many people support you when they know all the forces at play. You are a stain on civil society, just like your beloved bigot and heretic Ian paisley. His association with cliffe is well known since the formation of his free Presbyterian church there in the 50s.
On 14 Nov 2011 at 12:03am BTP wrote:
An organisation having a link to a bonfire society does not in any way suggest that the bonfire society supports that organisation does it?
On 14 Nov 2011 at 12:09am Mister fed up wih u all wrote:
I thought the real reason for bonfire was so kids could irritate people by putting bangers under their windows, old blokies whole still had th iq of 8 year olds could rabbit on about their god given right to let off bangers (or what ever immature rubbishy words they wish to call them)... Oh and for women to get blinded, doors to be blown up, people to drink too much and be antisocial and for white middle class people who live in a small middle class town to act liike they live in the ghetto and cause touble for one another, oh and for people to be kept up all night by bangers that by a week after bonfire yo kinda start to think that they must be getting bored by them by now and maybe they should learn some a level chemistry and at least make a more interesting explosive............. Yeah i am very bored og bonfire, lewes the people who live here, the comments on this forum, the lack of maturity, the stupidity of people who want to wreck a nice middleclass town, the teenges who act like they are hardcore and in gangs, the stupid wooly jumpers, the whole your not local your down from london o blah blah... Well we are all french something and others after all.... Just all grow up and get a life..............
On 14 Nov 2011 at 12:23am Firebrigade wrote:
But it does at it's centre doesn't it btp? You know it, I know it. I understand you don't like it pointed out because people know the bowler hat brigade are fanatical nuts and it's not good for the image. But basically lots of decent cliffe people don't know they are an orange march. They should. Tell them the truth btp and see what happens
On 14 Nov 2011 at 12:24am To The Point wrote:
Why don't you just f**k off then

On 14 Nov 2011 at 12:34am Firebrigade wrote:
Which hole did you crawl out of ttp? Maybe I'm wrong but I think that people should know what they are in with. Then they can decide whether it's for them or not. If you don't have numbers it's all over and if you tell them they are in an orange march you have no numbers.

On 14 Nov 2011 at 2:25am The Greek wrote:
For god's sake.

On 14 Nov 2011 at 7:45am Non believer wrote:
Thank god I am an atheist.

On 14 Nov 2011 at 8:50am Btp wrote:
Which hole did I crawl out of???

Why do you say that firebrigade?
On 14 Nov 2011 at 11:59am Old Cynic wrote:
What utter crap Firebrigade. As a someone with a catholic up bringing and married to a catholic we have never, ever, seen or heard the slightest hint of anti catholic feeling in Lewes. As a kid growing up in the north west we often attended orange lodge events half my family were protestant - sectarianism was left to loony irishmen and scotsmen.
How dare you come on this forum and try to stir up ill feeling - now just clear off
On 14 Nov 2011 at 12:15pm Kettle wrote:
Hear hear. I was brought up a catholic and have brought many catholic friends to bonfire. My friends have a sense of humour though. Maybe that's the difference.
Mind you, I'm not a catholic now and see it as one of the silliest of silly religions.
Maybe bonfire corrupted me!

On 14 Nov 2011 at 12:41pm FeedTheBirds wrote:
This is ridiculous and I speak as someone who has witnessed the nastiness of sectarianism as practiced across the water. The Cliffe has thousands of members and whilst there might be a miniscule (and ever diminishing) number of them who don the Sash Their Fathers wore, the Cliffe processional ranks are not and never have been an "Orange March". Suggesting differently merely exposes the ignorance of the person making this claim.

On 14 Nov 2011 at 12:51pm FeedTheBirds wrote:
I'd also remind the original poster that it was the Cliffe who would not tolerate the presence of the Rev. Ian Paisley when he fetched up on November 5th in Lewes many years ago. Hardly the behaviour of a society of "Orange Marchers"!

On 14 Nov 2011 at 2:08pm Me-mo wrote:
Firebrigade - Maybe you should start walking outside of your little bubble and start talking to more people. I know lots of people who are catholic but still take part in bonfire night
On 14 Nov 2011 at 6:50pm huw wrote:
I was going to bring up Cliffe's refusal to allow Paisley to march with them, but FTB has just done this.
Also, Cliffe barred the Orangemen who travel down from Scotland from attending their firesite.
In fact, this year the Orangemen did not make their usual trip down here for the 5th. Maybe they have realised that the celebrations in Lewes are not the place to voice their opinions and the bonfire societies do not agree with their politics/relegion.

On 14 Nov 2011 at 8:06pm KENDO CASTER wrote:
Firebrigade, what a load of Bo**ocks you talk.

On 14 Nov 2011 at 10:44pm Clifford wrote:
Firebrigade wrote: '... orange websites have many links to cliffe bonfire society, see Manchester orange order website for example...'

Firebrigade - Manchester Orange Order also has links to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, British Pathe Film Archive, Lancashire Records Office, among others. Would you say they are hotbeds of anti-Catholicism as well?
On 14 Nov 2011 at 11:38pm Firebrigade wrote:
Well there is a surprise eh? It's not like you guys ever deny yr a bunch of bigots is it? Spare me. It's there for all to see. Maybe when you shout "burn the pope"under your " no popery" banner, I could be forgiven for thinking that you really are quite fond of the head of the Christian church and indeed Roman Catholicism. Your a joke. A crude vile joke.

On 14 Nov 2011 at 11:59pm Simon wrote:
This last post by Firebrigade shows a total ignorance of Lewes Bonfire and in all probability a willful misunderstanding of peoples motives for marching on the 5th. I suspect he/she is trying to stir up trouble and should be treated with the contempt she/he deserves.
All I hear is a desperately lonely person reaching out for any kind of attention.
I think he/she has been given enough.

On 15 Nov 2011 at 1:17am part-timer wrote:
Simon, quite right. Bigotry surely only derives from Bigotry, the fact that the people in bonfire like the rest of the Nation are largely atheist, agnostic or occasional church goers seems to pass Firebrigades head. It would also seem that he hasn't read much literature on bonfire. Jim Etherington's book makes clear that the protestant extremists in the Lewes area never had any associations with bonfire. Arther Beckett's Spirit of the Downs (1909 or something) also clearly states that any religious sentiment has long been absent from bonfire.
The BNP use folk music to try and promote their cause. Folk music most certainly doesn't support theirs!
Whilst I understand that 'no popery' may cause offense to people who misinterpret it, you are completely on the wrong track FireBigot. It is also worth remembering that the Papacy was an empire in 1606 and not just a religious dictatorship.

On 15 Nov 2011 at 11:34am Lewes Lady wrote:
Jim Ertherington taught me at Wallands primary school...a good bloke although he did bear a scarily similar resemblance to Peter Sutcliffe!!!
Is he still alive??? Jim that is, not the hammer wielding manic from up north

On 15 Nov 2011 at 12:49pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
Yes he is well and truly alive!! Can't see the resemblance though....

On 15 Nov 2011 at 1:08pm Lewes Lady wrote:
As I recall he had dark hair and a beard..
Anyhow, if you know him, tell him I thought he was a fab teacher

On 15 Nov 2011 at 3:27pm observer wrote:
There are many kinds of TROLLS, you get funny ones, mischiveous ones, rudes ones, contradictory ones and real evil nasty ones that come on here just to stir up trouble. They probably leed a very boring life and this is one way to make themselves feel important. Yes FIREBRIGADE I am talking about you. I bet even this response makes you feel big, well you are not.

On 15 Nov 2011 at 4:32pm Kettle wrote:
Easy test - would bonfire continue if the 'religious' element was taken out?
Of course it would.
I think this did happen at one stage - can anyone elighten?

On 15 Nov 2011 at 4:40pm Decent Citizen wrote:
I think FireBrigade has her/his own agenda here.Hint (newspaper). As does Yogi! Possibly same? Many have tried,many have failed. Recent memory is of a race agitator!He got short shrift too!! Old Sussex saying"We won"t be druv". Now run along children,you have been sussed!

On 15 Nov 2011 at 4:42pm simon wrote:
Waterloo seem to enjoy themselves sufficiently without burning an effigy of Pope Paul V. I noticed a distinct dearth of sash sporting Orangemen in their ranks this 5th. I may have seen someone dressed as the bloke from the Tango advert but i'm not sure that counts...
Presumably Firebrigade does not include them in Lewes Bonfire.
On 16 Nov 2011 at 10:17am Hose a naughty boy then wrote:
Firebrigade blaming someone else? There's nothing new.
On 17 Nov 2011 at 12:30am AYATOLLAH HOGMANNY wrote:
I find someone coming on here calling themselves Fire Brigade very offensive, considering that 2 of their number were killed a couple of years ago by a fireworks factory fire, as an ex firefighter do us all a favour and change your name, you are blackening the name of a fine service who you may one day need.
As for the Orange Lodge being in Lewes, the Presbyterians ( Ian Paisleys lot) took over from the Calvinists at the Jireh Chapel in 1997, not earlier. I was there!!!!
On 17 Nov 2011 at 1:05pm Hose a naughty boy then wrote:
One firefighter and one ex firefighter that had no business being there. Still very tragic.
On 18 Nov 2011 at 1:21am Firebrigade wrote:
Oh I see there are still 3 of you with 5 different names each to make you feel less lonely in the mad bad orange house. You can't fool all the people all the time. You'll never fool me. I can smell a Hun from 50 feet away.

On 19 Nov 2011 at 1:19am AHMED IMADINNERJACKET wrote:
I do not belong to the orange lodge, I just know people who do..and I do not have 5 different names, neither am I anything to do with borough bonfire, and it is the only time I have been in a church for the last 14 years.. strictly a hatchings, matchings and dispatchings person!!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Pells Postcard 106:143
Pells Postcard

Were the Borough Zulus blacking up last night? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare